• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grandson bought himself a AR

Steve crawford

If he wants it for plinking, range shooting and occasional light hunting, he should swap it for a more common and cheaper caliber.  If granddad was a nice granddad, he would buy him a complete upper in 223 for Christmas.:hornet:  That way he could have both.:laffs:

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ar-15/ar-15-complete-upper-assembly.html

Grandson has a habit of leaping before he looks.  It was an AR and he got it at a good price.  I don't know when he figured out that it was not a 5.56.  He may not have known that they can be other calibers.   He will have to learn the hard way that he has to pay attention. Hope that it does not hurt to much to learn.  He may get a good wake-up call the first time he shoots it.  I have a 45/70 Marlin 1894 Guide gun with a factory ported barrel.  If you do not hold on to it, it will jar your teeth.  

Edited by Steve crawford

On 10/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Steve crawford said:

Grandson has a habit of leaping before he looks.  It was an AR and he got it at a good price.  I don't know when he figured out that it was not a 5.56.  He may not have known that they can be other calibers.   He will have to learn the hard way that he has to pay attention. Hope that it does not hurt to much to learn.  He may get a good wake-up call the first time he shoots it.  I have a 45/70 Marlin 1894 Guide gun with a factory ported barrel.  If you do not hold on to it, it will jar your teeth.  

I have a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 - and I've shot both .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf based ARs and there is ZERO comparison.   The lightest 45-70 cartridge in that lever gun hits my shoulder WAY harder than either of those other two in the semi-auto AR.  Unless your grandson is a 67 lb 10 year old who is a new shooter - I'd be surprised if recoil is an issue. 

Just my 2 cents.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Steve crawford said:

Grandson has a habit of leaping before he looks.  It was an AR and he got it at a good price. 

A buddy of mine recently won an AR-15 in a raffle. He was all excited and even posted it on Facebook. Then, he found out it was 300 BLK and couldn't get ammo to shoot it. I told him had plenty of brass and if he would get some 308 bullets I would be happy to load some up for him. He ended up trading it off for a 223 AR.