• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I guess it's my turn to say hello.

DustinIL

Hello one and all. DustinIL here. Not too difficult to tell where I'm from. FYI it's also same name I use on gunbroker. I'm trying to narrow down my choices for a .308 AR, which will be replacing a ptr-91 I sold, hence I need a replacement  ;D.  Nothing was wrong with the ptr-91, I just decided to get a .308 with same manual of arms as my ar-15. Plus ergos are a much better on AR. Only downside is prices of mags, but I guess you gotta give and take right?  ;D I look forward to being schooled on the world of AR-10 style rifles and the ups and downs of each.

Glad to meet you Dustin!

Rock River LAR-8 uses FAL mags, either inch or metric pattern.  I got new steel Korean mags from AIM Surplus on sale for $15/ea.  They are up to $17 the last time I checked.

Thermold makes polymer FAL mags that can be had for $17 or $18 each.

My LAR-8 Operator has one major problem...recoil is manageable, it is accurate, and it is reliable, therefore I never have enough ammo on hand!

Good luck!

Jon

There are manufacturers that use HK G3 mags similar to the 91. I think the design (while very sturdy) stinks, but to each his own. I have seen the Euro mil surplus stuff on CTD going for about $2 ea (when bought in large lots).

The quality of them isn't all that great (rust, dirt, dings, dents, scratches). I heard that you can usually gut them for parts and make a few decent mags though.

There are manufacturers that use HK G3 mags similar to the 91. I think the design (while very sturdy) stinks, but to each his own. I have seen the Euro mil surplus stuff on CTD going for about $2 ea (when bought in large lots).

The quality of them isn't all that great (rust, dirt, dings, dents, scratches). I heard that you can usually gut them for parts and make a few decent mags though.

There are indeed. I looked into CMMG's lower (which requires a small bit of milling on the upper), but I didn't want to mess with getting an upper milled, however slight, plus it wouldn't hold bolt open after last shot (no different than ptr-91). True about the surplus magazines, especially the aluminum ones I got...never did try any steel mags. Definitely a luck of the draw, but I usually lucked out and only had to toss one or two out of a buy of 50. It's just really nice paying $2 for a 20 round magazine  ;D.

I almost went for RRA LAR-308, but I've decided to stick with the DPMS/SR-25 platform of rifles due to more parts inter-changability. Plus, being able to get PMags for them didn't hurt either, lol.