• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st 308 AR Build

Patrad

Howdy all. Didn't find this thread to begin with - just overlooked it. As for any of my previous posts that were off topic - my apologies!! Shoulda looked closer and found this thread to start with.

Anywho - Here's what I've done so far - and I've already learned of at least 2 changes to make, those being the buffer (too light @ 3.8oz), and the ejector (squared off face). Also, the gas tube appears  to short - nowhere near the center of the cutout. So.... I used an 80% Arms lower; a CMMG LPK, with an added JP Enhanced Reliability 3.5T spring set; polished the friction surfaces on the trigger, hammer, and disconnector; used an Aero Buffer Tube kit with a too light buffer (see above) which I'm researching now, already emailed Clint @ Heavybuffers - tube measures a hair under 7&1/16", buffer measures 2&1/2". Stock is a Magpul CTR 6 position - I've used this stock on all of my own AR15 builds. Stock and buffer tube kit are mil-spec. Added a Magpul vertical grip to the handguard as well.

Used a BCA upper (maybe not the best choice with hindsight - I'll find out for sure at the range, as their quality seems to be either hit or miss with their uppers from my reading) with a 20" SS SOCOM profile medium weight, straight fluted barrel; Magpul M-Lok free float handguards; Rifle length gas system; their BCG & CH. Added a Magpul QD sling mount on the handguard; Magpul Pro BUIS front & rear; and after break in and sight setting, the Vortex 4-16 side adjust scope shown (just there for the pic).

Y'all take care,
Mike.

MC3-001 Lower - Assembled.jpg

MC3-001.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Patrad said:

Howdy all. Didn't find this thread to begin with - just overlooked it. As for any of my previous posts that were off topic - my apologies!! Shoulda looked closer and found this thread to start with.

Anywho - Here's what I've done so far - and I've already learned of at least 2 changes to make, those being the buffer (too light @ 3.8oz), and the ejector (squared off face). Also, the gas tube appears  to short - nowhere near the center of the cutout. So.... I used an 80% Arms lower; a CMMG LPK, with an added JP Enhanced Reliability 3.5T spring set; polished the friction surfaces on the trigger, hammer, and disconnector; used an Aero Buffer Tube kit with a too light buffer (see above) which I'm researching now, already emailed Clint @ Heavybuffers - tube measures a hair under 7&1/16", buffer measures 2&1/2". Stock is a Magpul CTR 6 position - I've used this stock on all of my own AR15 builds. Stock and buffer tube kit are mil-spec. Added a Magpul vertical grip to the handguard as well.

Used a BCA upper (maybe not the best choice with hindsight - I'll find out for sure at the range, as their quality seems to be either hit or miss with their uppers from my reading) with a 20" SS SOCOM profile medium weight, straight fluted barrel; Magpul M-Lok free float handguards; Rifle length gas system; their BCG & CH. Added a Magpul QD sling mount on the handguard; Magpul Pro BUIS front & rear; and after break in and sight setting, the Vortex 4-16 side adjust scope shown (just there for the pic).

Y'all take care,
Mike.

MC3-001 Lower - Assembled.jpg

MC3-001.jpg

EDIT: Clint @ Heavy Buffers recommended his 6.5oz buffer and matching spring. Order placed. MANY THANKS to those that recommended HeavyBuffers.com!!!

$%&(*^% - I KNEW y'all were gonna cost me $$😁😂

On 3/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, Patrad said:

EDIT: Clint @ Heavy Buffers recommended his 6.5oz buffer and matching spring. Order placed. MANY THANKS to those that recommended HeavyBuffers.com!!!

$%&(*^% - I KNEW y'all were gonna cost me $$😁😂

Best investment you can make. Clint’s products are literally second to none.

23 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Best investment you can make. Clint’s products are literally second to none.

Thanks, edgecrusher, 'preciate the input. Dam glad to know that I made a good choice - although I did read a good bit about his products before making a decision! I figured since it's my 1st AR308 that it'd be a good idea to go straight to The Man for a recommendation😉 I seriously doubt that I'll be disappointed with my choice. Not gonna change anything else until I put some down the tube. I'll most likely have to address the ejector face (it's squared) and the gas tube (it's short - nowhere near the center of the cutout), though. Can't hardly wait to do barrel break in, and make some empty brass!😁

I can see where these builds might be a PITA, but the way I see it, I'm getting an edu-ma-cation!🙃 Y'all have been a BIG help in a short time! And most importantly, it gives me something to work on with my hands, since I'm retired (due to injuries). But - I can still build 'puters and shootin irons!😉

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

Got the buffer & spring late yesterday. They're in their new home now😉 All that remains is to get an appropriate size container and give the BCG a nice oil bath. I gave the spring a light coat of oil, too. Then, hopefully, I'll be able to get to the range on Monday :fullauto:. Not gonna be for anything other than barrel break in, and to check function. I'll post with the results - fingers crossed there won't be anything outta the ordinary, and all functions as designed. I've emailed customer support for the gas port diameter, and when I likely change the gas tube (original is too short) I'll check the port size myself just to have the info available, as well as the gas block itself relating to the shoulder.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

5 hours ago, Patrad said:

All that remains is to get an appropriate size container and give the BCG a nice oil bath.

I use one of the rectangular trays from this set.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.trueliving-storage-set-ast-5ct-0295061-1-1.html

I put a couple of rubber bands around the tray to set the BCG on to drip excess back into the tray.

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

43 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I use one of the rectangular trays from this set.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.trueliving-storage-set-ast-5ct-0295061-1-1.html

I put a couple of rubber bands around the tray to set the BCG on to drip excess back into the tray.

'Preciate the link, Doc. I hadn't seen that particular set before. Had something similar in mind from dollar tree, but if my local DG has this one in stock, that's what I'll get - DG is a lot closer! I like the rubber band idea, too.😁

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Just got confirmation - gas port is .0750 (of course they wrote it down as 0.750 in the answer - really don't see a 3/4" port here🙃) - plus a short gas tube. What the hell, I gotta do it, gonna give her a whirl anyway - even if I can only fire once't.🙃 If so, it'll be an early day at the range - might not even break a sweat, and be back to Casa Mikee early enuff for an early brewski and lunch.🤪 Looks like I'll be getting some wire gauge drill bits. Then again, one can NEVER have too many tools!!:banana: Also, just ordered a Raptor LT CH, good times coming - I hope.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad

Regarding the above, I've read the gas port thread, is there anything in my build that would suggest a particular amount (out of the ordinary as far as shown in the posts I've read) of opening up - looks like .086 to .096 depending on barrel diameter?

Y'all take care,
Mike.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Patrad said:

Y'all take care,
Mike.

MC3-001 Lower - Assembled.jpgvery nice i just put together my self

MC3-001.jpg

15 hours ago, Patrad said:

Just got confirmation - gas port is .0750 (of course they wrote it down as 0.750 in the answer

Just re-read their reply - I hate having a dam brain fart like that.🤪 Their reply says the "Gas Block System/Outer diameter of that barrel is  0.750" - NOT the port size. Sorry for the error!

Y'all take care,
Mike

6 hours ago, Patrad said:

Just re-read their reply - I hate having a dam brain fart like that.🤪 Their reply says the "Gas Block System/Outer diameter of that barrel is  0.750" - NOT the port size. Sorry for the error!

Y'all take care,
Mike

Just got a reply - port size is .086. Cool!😎

Update: Just ordered a Young bolt tool from Fulton. Looking forward to dis-assembling the ejector. My Raptor LT CH is supposed to be here tomorrow - not soon enuff for my range trip, though. Bummer. Just removed the carrier and bolt from the oil bath it's been in since Friday, so it's all slicked up with Castrol 5-20 full synthetic. Draining now. Gonna be a bit of a PITA re-assembling the bolt and carrier with all that slickum on 'em though. Can't have everything all the time, can ya!🙃

Y'all take care,
Mike.

6 minutes ago, Patrad said:

Update: Just ordered a Young bolt tool from Fulton. Looking forward to dis-assembling the ejector. My Raptor LT CH is supposed to be here tomorrow - not soon enuff for my range trip, though. Bummer. Just removed the carrier and bolt from the oil bath it's been in since Friday, so it's all slicked up with Castrol 5-20 full synthetic. Draining now. Gonna be a bit of a PITA re-assembling the bolt and carrier with all that slickum on 'em though. Can't have everything all the time, can ya!🙃

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Good buy, I have both .308 & 5.56 best tool ever for bolt repair.😄

3 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Good buy, I have both .308 & 5.56 best tool ever for bolt repair.😄

That's what it looks like to me, too - I'll be getting one in 556 also. Fulton had/has them in both calibers, as a blem - can't beat the price! ($39.95). Everything's done. All put back together, and awaiting the range trip tomorrow. Gonna be there awhile for barrel break in and function checks. Hot dam!!:banana::banana::fullauto:😁

Anyone have opinion(s) on the extractor springs? Mine has the double springs, but no rubbers - is this gonna be a problem??

Y'all take care,
Mike.

15 hours ago, unforgiven said:

If it runs,run it brother

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. Looks like I'll find out in about 3 hours - I'm gonna de-virginize her!:banana::fullauto: Even if it won't run right, I'll still make some once fired brass!!😁 'Preciate the good advice from y'all, I'll post the results. Got a 10 pack of new Magpul G3 mags to check out, too. All good on this end, but the dam anticipation is a beotch fer shure.🙃

Edited by Patrad

Howdy all. Got a range report for y'all. First and foremost - 50 bangs, and MOST importantly - NO booms!😁 Yeah, I stopped at 50, due to shoulders and knees. Bummer! So... no jams, or any other kind of malfunctions whatsoever!:banana: Hot dam! All the new mags were perfect as well. 50 once fired LC brass from my chamber, no high pressure signs, no split necks, and no head separations - there were some shiny ejector circles on about the first 30, though. Then, the ejector circles stopped, and didn't come back. The first shot was on paper, even though I wasn't shooting for groups. Good thing, too - a 15-25mph cross wind started not long after I started shooting.🙃 All in all, Mikee is a happy camper! A MOST excellent day at the range.

As I figured, the Raptor LT CH showed up about 20 minutes after I got home. Oh well. It will definitely go in at the cleaning - gonna wait for the Y/M bolt tool to show up so I can dis-assemble the bolt, too. Hopefully, the shipping won't take too long - got a shipped email from Fulton late yesterday. That's all for the moment.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

🎉🍻🍻😃

Absolutely, Bro. Good times, happy days, once fired brass, and an adult beverage! Hard to make it better!!🥃🍻

I was gonna call Fulton yesterday and add a 223/556 Y/M bolt tool to my order, but it was after (just), and their website said 4 was closing time, just my dam luck!☹️🙃 Oh well, there's next time. I do believe that's an incentive!!🤪

Y'all take care,
Mike.