• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st 308 AR Build

Patrad

12 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Glad it's running for you.

You and me both, Bro. Thanks for the good thoughts. Now, gotta get that Y/M bolt tool and dis-assemble the ejector - the website says it'll be here Friday. Gotta clean it, and inspect everything - then get it ready for the next trip.😎

Y'all take care,
Mike.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my new goodies yesterday. That NiB BCG sure is purrrty!😁 Dissembled it, checked headspace, reassembled it, and put it in a nice overnight oil bath. Dunno fer shure, but might leave it in there longer. As long as I have the rifle back together and ready for some more bangs with the new BCG on Monday, Lord willing and the creek don't rise!!:banana:

Y'all take care,
Mike.

So... The Lord was willing and the creek didn't rise - so I made it to the range on Monday. Only put 40 rounds through it, but got 40 bangs with no booms!! Most excellent:banana: Zero malfunctions of any kind. Had to call a break for myself, due to back and shoulder injuries. It is what it is. I'm posting the target - not for any bragging, but I believe it shows that there's a lot of potential here. Nothing fancy, just 147gr FMJ M80 7.62 ammo. it's only at 50yrds with open sights - which for my old ass eyes ain't bad at all. Still haven't set the sights, just got 'em close enuff for now for function testing and break in. Also, no Lead Sled or anything else, just using my range bag to rest the forend on. Those flyers are all me.  That makes 80 rnds total, so I'll probably make 1 more range trip and do at least 40 more to wear in that NiB BCG as this was it's 1st use. After that, I'll start with setting the sights, then move to the scope, THEN start with some handloads. Haven't decided on what to start with yet. Likely to be IMR4895, in the neighborhood of 42gr. Got a good selection of boolits to use and plenty of primers and brass. Got a decent selection of powders as well.  We shall see.

REALLY like that Radian Raptor LT ambi charging handle, too - makes things much easier! BTW, I've christened her Audrey - in honor of Audrey Hepburn.

After all I've read about the gas tube's location regarding the cutout in the upper, I halfway expected at least some trouble because this one is a bit on the short side. No problems there, either. Brass is about 3:00 on ejection, so no problem there. So, all in all, Mikee is a VERY happy camper!!🥃 Can't wait to get out there again and make some more once fired brass! Love doing that!!:fullauto:That's all for now.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

MC3-001 Audrey 2nd Break In - NiB BCG.jpg

Edited by Patrad

13 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Way to go brother Mike 🍻🍻 so what's the next build? What will you name it ? 😁 Just asking for a friend

A most excellent question(s), Bro. Gotta get the cash stash built back up first.🤪 I believe the 'next one' will be paying off the car the 1st of the month, instead! Then, I'll be alookin' for the next project. Already considering that. I'm leanin' toward a 16" version of some type. I'm REALLY enjoyin' this here beast right now. Got another 200 rnds of 147gr FMJ being delivered today, and I'll be ordering more the end of the month (dammit man, this fixed income poop sux big time!). I'll just hafta 'settle' for more bangs instead of building another one right away.🙃 Looks like some semi serious scouring in the reloading forum in the very near future!🧐 So, between the scouring and the reloading manuals, I can see where I definitely ain't gonna get bored!😁 Got some brass already primed, and need to do a couple more preps before the rest is R.T.L. - just need to uniform the primer pockets and do the flash holes. Time consuming I know, but if I'm gonna do some serious load workup, I want 'em all uniform, including sorting the headstamps. After all, I AM kinda anal when it comes to reloading - even have a bit of good ole O.C.D. thrown in for good measure!😲 Oh yeah unforgiven - tell yer 'friend' howdy fer me, willya?🤪

As to the name for the next one, already considering "Kitty" (yeah, that one! Always did like red headed wimminz!😁).

Many thanks for all the well wishes from y'all!🥃🍻🥃🍻 'Preciate it!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Good to see it's running - great work.  Run a few hundred routine, nothing-special rounds through it, then clean the hell out of the barrel and chamber.  After that, work on handloads.  Get a solid foundation, first, and function the hell out of the gun, break it in, work out any possible bugs that show up.  It'll work better in the long run, that way.

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Good to see it's running - great work.  Run a few hundred routine, nothing-special rounds through it, then clean the hell out of the barrel and chamber.  After that, work on handloads.  Get a solid foundation, first, and function the hell out of the gun, break it in, work out any possible bugs that show up.  It'll work better in the long run, that way.

Mornin' 98. That's pretty much my thoughts as well. One other thing I want to do is to compare the function with the original BCG after I put some more rounds through it. I also want to see if the old bolt affects accuracy. That also gives me an excuse to go to the range more often - not that I need an excuse or anything.😎 Lookin' forward to  giving this beast a workout!

Y'all take care,
Mike.

14 hours ago, Patrad said:

I also want to see if the old bolt affects accuracy.

That thing...    :bat:  I took that roll pin right out the other side right away, and went to work on the broken punch part of the equation.  Having a tough time with it.  I'm using a Snap-On 1/16th punch, and it's even having a hard time.  I tried to go up to the 5/64ths punch, and it doesn't fit in there at all.  I'll keep working that thing.  I'm gonna soak the bolt in JB-80 tomorrow, and let that stuff work in there and loosen what can be loosened.   :thumbup:

That ejector face is squared-off as all hell.  When I get that thing out of there, I'll round it off. 

57 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That thing...    :bat:  I took that roll pin right out the other side right away, and went to work on the broken punch part of the equation.  Having a tough time with it.  I'm using a Snap-On 1/16th punch, and it's even having a hard time.  I tried to go up to the 5/64ths punch, and it doesn't fit in there at all.  I'll keep working that thing.  I'm gonna soak the bolt in JB-80 tomorrow, and let that stuff work in there and loosen what can be loosened.   :thumbup:

That ejector face is squared-off as all hell.  When I get that thing out of there, I'll round it off. 

Can't thank ya enuff, 98. As I said before, I'm not worried about time - I'm not in the slightest bit of a hurry. Let the blasted thing soak as long as ya think it needs. I'm afraid I got more than a bit ham fisted with it as I got more pissed. That's a tight hole!🙃 Or (most likely), I fugged it up myself!! Might not be savable. Lesson learned!😠 The new NiB one wasn't anywhere near as tight a fit. Are the Snap On punches better quality?? My drift punches are Irwin.

Yeah, I figured on doing that ejector face, too. It did leave some nice circles on some of the brass.🤪 Not familiar with JB-80 - hafta look into that - thanks.

Y'all take care,
Mike.

I'll definitely get more "aggressive" with it before Wednesday - that's the day my Snap-On tool truck guy comes around...  I'll break the fuk out of that thing before Wednesday, if I have to, and he's gonna be giving me a free one the next day...   :bat::laffs:

The Irwin stuff is good, man - good quality.  Don't doubt that tool.   :thumbup:

On 4/8/2022 at 11:15 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'll definitely get more "aggressive" with it before Wednesday - that's the day my Snap-On tool truck guy comes around...  I'll break the fuk out of that thing before Wednesday, if I have to, and he's gonna be giving me a free one the next day...   :bat::laffs:

The Irwin stuff is good, man - good quality.  Don't doubt that tool.   :thumbup:

You might have to heat the living daylights out of the bolt to get it out. Not hot enough to draw off any of its temper of course, but heat it up to 250°F or so and use the BFH to lay a good solid smack on your punch/drift. That couple hundred degrees of difference will ease a half thou of tightness out of that pin bore.

1 minute ago, Matt.Cross said:

You might have to heat the living daylights out of the bolt to get it out. Not hot enough to draw off any of its temper of course, but heat it up to 250°F or so and use the BFH to lay a good solid smack on your punch/drift. That couple hundred degrees of difference will ease a half thou of tightness out of that pin bore.

Just throw it in the Suzy Bake oven for a little bit?

13 minutes ago, DNP said:

Cocky bastards…

Twice as good.  I can verify this, too, it really is.  God Bless America, and I'm pretty fuckkin' happy that I met @JBMatt a bunch of years ago. He's THE MOTHERFUCKER right there that got us all into this gun lube thing.  Not counting the fact that he's a pretty solid guy - that falls by they wayside often.  He's legit.

I Bro-Mance regularly over him, he's that cool.  For realz.  If he didn't have a girlfriend, I'd try to spoon with him.  regularly. 

He shoots okay, too, when he's on it.  :thefinger:

Edited by 98Z5V

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Good to know I made a good choice. That's what yer hammerin' on!😁

Y'all take care,
Mike.

Edited by Patrad