• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Funny "anti-gun" article

MaDuce

By anti-gun, I mean "stay away from these particular guns". LOL.

This is perhaps the funniest article I've read yet on the subject of firearms. It's about ammo that kicks WAY too hard. We're not talking about .300 or .458 Magnums either. We're talking about stuff that will send you across the room if you're not careful.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammunition/2009/06/petzal-hardest-kicking-cartridges

I love the big handcannons.....45-70, 444 Marlin, 375 Winchester all in TC Contender barrels...and my favorite ..a Gary Reeder Custom Contender in 350 GNR .....They all make shooting my Super Blackhawk Hunter like plinking with a .22 ...The only " Big" rifle in the cabinet is a 7mm Ultra Mag that's pretty abusive with 175 gr. Partitions......guy I bought from said he'd been talked into buying it at a local shop as The Ultimate Varmint Rifle...after 1 box of ammo he realized his mistake...

Come on guys that's pain from a bolt,I sure one of you brainiac's can figure how to launch a .700 H&H [hurts&hurts] 1000gr.8,900 ft. lbs. and .600 Nitro [that saids it all]express 900gr. 7,600 ft. lbs. from Eugene Stoner's platform let hear some ideas, boxers or panties <lmao> lets show no fear.Shoot on bros.

I have read that the 338 Lapua is a necked-down 416 Rigby with some modifications to the cartridge case to make it stronger and a lot of very careful quality control at the factory;  thus the high price for this ammo.  Why not a case  essentially identical to the Rigby/Lapua with maybe a slightly different shape to the shoulder so that it would not work in a rifle chambered for the 416 Rigby but would work fine in a new AR-pattern rifle capable of handling the long 416 "New" Rigby?  It is alleged that the 416,  400 or higher grain bullet,  is more ballistically efficient than most of the other 'African Game' cartridges and actually as effective or more effective.  One PH even says the 416 Rigby is a great varmint cartridge because it has great long-range ballistics and (based on using it to obtain safari camp meat,  shooting dik-diks and other tiny antelope that are the size of cats and terriers except for the long legs),  the bullet makes a neat hole in small critters and that is all.  The critter is well aware of the big hole that suddenly appears,  meat is otherwise undamaged;  the bullet never knew there was anything in its way because it takes more than a foot of elephant or Cape Buffalo to make the 'soft' 416's start to expand.

So what we need is an AR scaled up the way the AR-10 is scaled up from the M-15/16 that will handle a long cartridge like the 416 Rigby?  And- -  -  affordable ammo?

I'd say that the likelyhood  of the platform becoming reality, is far greater than the chances of ammo in the chambering ever being reasonably priced. Just take a look at the price of .458 SOCOM ammo. I think that the only chance for any large cal ammo like that to ever be reasonably priced would be if it was adopted on a large scale by the military, or at the very least, was based on a cartridge widely used by the military. You notice that you can get .50 BMG ammo cheaper than , .408, .416, and, as far as I know, it's even cheaper than the .338 LM.

I'd say that the likelyhood  of the platform becoming reality, is far greater than the chances of ammo in the chambering ever being reasonably priced. Just take a look at the price of .458 SOCOM ammo. I think that the only chance for any large cal ammo like that to ever be reasonably priced would be if it was adopted on a large scale by the military, or at the very least, was based on a cartridge widely used by the military. You notice that you can get .50 BMG ammo cheaper than , .408, .416, and, as far as I know, it's even cheaper than the .338 LM.

I am not prepared to say it will ever see the light of day, but I am working on a rifle design that (on the inside) is a slightly up-scaled, gas blocked AR-10 in .416 Barrett. Being that I work with synthetics allot, if it ever DOES see the light of day, I'll be making my own purpose built .416 magazine, so you won't need such a huge mag well to accommodate the over-sized Barrett .50BMG mags.

What I have got together so far indicates a gun that's only as much bigger then the AR-10 as the AR-10 is then the 15.

Of course, this is all on paper right now. I know for sure i can get it built. It's really a question of $ and whether or not it's worth the time and $ to me.

Of course, this .44 Magnum gets finished before anything new gets started. And even then, there's still 2 projects ahead of it.

BTW.

According to Barrett, the .416 has something like 115 ft lbs of recoil without the muzzle break.

LOL. "Shooting it is no worse then being in a plane crash".

Where do we draw the line between practical defense loads and loads that are almost as crippling to the shooter as the target?

Allot of stopping power is a good thing, so long as it remains only on one end of the barrel.

Where do we draw the line between practical defense loads and loads that are almost as crippling to the shooter as the target?

Lott designed the .458 Lott, after he got the perception that the .458 Winchester Magnum was inadequate.  He shot a cape buffalo which then stomped him.

These days a modern firearm to shoot something like that .700 NE would have a very effective muzzle brake.

If I'm shooting it.  <lmao>

Jon

Biggest "rifle" I've ever shot was a 106mm Recoilless Rifle.  That thing is no joke, and eats you up when you fire it - both you, and the assistant gunner.  The fireball is horrendous.  It's kinda trailer/tripod mounted, and there's no way in hell of carrying it, but it's still called a "rifle."  The damn thing has a .50 BMG "rifle" on the side that fires tracers, for spotter rounds...

Next biggest is the 90mm Recoilless Rifle.  You can pack that thing around, but it's no fun.  It's also no joke. 

Those are big guns...  :o <lmao>

Biggest "rifle" I've ever shot was a 106mm Recoilless Rifle.  That thing is no joke, and eats you up when you fire it - both you, and the assistant gunner.  The fireball is horrendous.  It's kinda trailer/tripod mounted, and there's no way in hell of carrying it, but it's still called a "rifle."  The damn thing has a .50 BMG "rifle" on the side that fires tracers, for spotter rounds...

Next biggest is the 90mm Recoilless Rifle.  You can pack that thing around, but it's no fun.  It's also no joke. 

Those are big guns...  :o <lmao>

I have a book on the history of military motorcycles.

I kid you not, the French fielded a VESPA with a stamped metal seat and ape hanger bars.  The seat was directly on top of an 75mm recoiless rifle.

Holy crap I found it!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP

Talk about gas.

EDIT: To change it from Italians to French.  poop you can probably find one used in great condition!  Never fired and only dropped once.

Jon