• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR-308 build issues

Sparkylr308

Hello all. First post on here. I am having issues with my build. It does not want to cycle all the time. It will run sometimes but not others. 

Barrel Faxon pencil 18in barrel extension LR-308

Rifle length gas system

Kak industries gas block

Kak industries bcg LR-308 double ejector spring slick side

LR-308 carbine heavy buffer kak

guntec carbine buffer

Guntec buffer spring

LR-308 carbine spring kak

Expo arms gas tube

i have tried a few different combos of buffer and springs. It will run sometimes. Got 150 gr federal to run consistently with gun tec spring and carbine buffer. But won’t cycle 168 gr federal at all, no matter the combo. And will sporadically cycle Hornady black 168 gr 308. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I hit up your other one, man.  Addressed the gas system stuff.  You'll need some recoil system work, too.  Weigh that buffer and post up the weight.  Get the specs up on that spring, too -  relaxed length, coil count, and wire diameter.  

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/3/2022 at 11:56 AM, Sparkylr308 said:

LR-308 carbine heavy buffer kak

guntec carbine buffer

Guntec buffer spring

LR-308 carbine spring kak

This part is confusing = you have 2 buffers and 2 springs?  What about a receiver extension?  List it's internal depth.

Receiver extension internal depth is okay.  Buffer is good.  I don't know about the spring - just no experience with it.  The Sprinco Orange spring is specifically made for those recoil system parts, though.  I do know what, and have used them, and can verify that they work.

Is it me or are the primers looking cratered?  Maybe like the load is too hot or not enough gas escaping backward through the gas tube.

I used to use an adjustable gas block and my gun cycled excellent on everything.  Then I switched to a Kak gas block and now I don’t have empty magazine bolt hold open on 60% of my shots.  I wonder if the Kak block is a wee bit tighter inside.  I still haven’t removed it to look at alignment or to double check the gas port diameter on the new barrel.  The old barrel was exact same company as new barrel Faxon with a .093 verified gas diameter... so I’m thinking the Kak Block a little tighter than could be

@shooterrexah ok. Definitely no lack in power there on this bcg. 

@98Z5Vok that is very good to know. I will grab those as well at some point. 

@DustBusterthey definitely have some primer flow to them. It was factory Hornady black 308 168gr. I will double check my alignment on the gas block. When I removed it, the carbon ring looked large enough, but very well could not have been right. 

2 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

@edgecrusherit was in regards to the extractor marks on the spent cases. I would like to reload these cases, but I guess my other concern is if the extractor is holding it to tightly. Could that cause any sort of extra pressure? I noticed a decent amount of primer flow, but these are factory loaded rounds. 

Put some pics of the extractor marks in here so we can look at them.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 6/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, Sparkylr308 said:

@edgecrusherit was in regards to the extractor marks on the spent cases. I would like to reload these cases, but I guess my other concern is if the extractor is holding it to tightly. Could that cause any sort of extra pressure? I noticed a decent amount of primer flow, but these are factory loaded rounds. 

Nothing in the picture you posted concerns me. Unless you have some that are worse I would not mess with your extractor. 

Make sure you understand what the two different parts do - the extractor holds onto the spent case, and pulls it out of the chamber.  The ejector is what kicks the spent case out of the upper receiver.

If you're referencing the marks on the base of the brass - those little circular marks around the base, on the headstamp - those are ejector marks, exactly like @shooterrex stated.  Taking o-rings off your extractor spring, or adding 10 more, isn't going to affect ejector marks one bit.

If you're worrying about the marks on the base, on the headstamp, focus on this right here first:

ejector.jpg.1f71d6f27840081e138544f7a791d1bc.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5Vthis part of the post on the other forum…”They make the extractor so tight that it can cause cycling issues and was doing the same as your hammer strike. It no boom. Removed one Oring (per their instructions to another user on Reddit having an issue that reached out to them) and it has been flawless ever since.”

“The extractor was so tight that it was deforming the rim of the casings that were ejected. After removing one of the Orings that stopped happening as well.”

9 hours ago, Sparkylr308 said:

The extractor was so tight that it was deforming the rim of the casings

That is an issue with premature extraction,, yanking on that rim before the brass has shrunk back in the chamber, nothing to do with the stiff extractor, that shows up on  the feeding side. You could be overgassed or under assed(lack of weight in the system)

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

That is an issue with premature extraction,,

Which is directly an issue with over-gassing (not very common), or the recoil system is too light, and not up to par (under-recoiled - VERY common). 

More often than not, what we see here after getting ALL the info on someone's gun problem - the gun was made by a company that wanted to save money.  They made a gas port too small, and a gas tube too short, because money drives the recoil system.  Weak gas system is needed because they wanted to save money on recoil parts - and tungsten ain't cheap. Doing it right ain't cheap.  Buffers that are too light - are cheaper than buffers that are the appropriate weight.  Springs...  AR15 springs are not .308AR springs - but it's easier to toss an AR15 spring in there...  Receiver extensions are another story...

2 minutes ago, Savage11006 said:

Some of it is unbelievable. I try to put some good info out there when I can and link this site a good bit. 

Those guys get their ballistic data from Call Of Duty.  They should stick to the video games.