• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

POF P308 first 308 build

kerstingm

First I want to say I from Ohio, I am new to the forum as well I am starting my first AR style 308. My awesome wife got me a stripped POF P308 lower for Christmas. I plan on staying with POF for my lower parts, but really like Wilson Combat 3g trigger (hoping it will fit a 308) I alsolkke fbe Vltor stock they are using. What I am debating over is what upper to go with. Stay with POF, go with DPMS, or Rock River? I have heard many many things just ti the week I have started looking. Like I have to stay with the same manufacture for upper and lower  (finding out this is not true) also is it better to go gas piston or direct gas? The tech at POF is telling me the 308 is really difficult to build from the ground up. Issues with feeding, jamming, ejecting, and accuracy.  Please any suggestions and any books reference materials would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for ready and sorry for being long winded.

Welcome from Indiana brother kerstingm got a RRA standard operator,a few of their parts are proprietary not sure if POF is compatible call RRA tec Randy he would know,the guys here are very knowledgeable. They can answer questions better than I.You'll have fun here.Nice that the wife supports your hobby,makes it easier to get all the extras need to complete.Shoot on bro.

ok, this is my opinion and will not hold up in court  <dontknow>, but i would stick with matching receiver sets, you'll get the best fit and finish and can possibly avoid some other problems. as for building vs buying because of difficulty, the tech is trying to sell you a complete gun to make some cash for his company. i don't believe the .308 is any more difficult to build once you know what works. cruise the site before you jump into anything, ask questions, figure out what you want for end use, bench gun, dmr, long range thank you gun. by then you'll be good to go. oh yeah, welcome to the biggest money pit going  <thumbsup>

I think he was referring to this 

The tech at POF is telling me the 308 is really difficult to build from the ground up

I would stay with POF , upper & lowers, for the simple fact is they have some propitiatory parts , like the pivot & disassemble pins . Not sure about there barrel nuts or the upper receiver threads in it for the barrel nut .

All things you need to check out , some will know here .

As far as what gas system you go with , its a matter of personal preference. Piston systems add a little weight compared to a DI system ,but POF has a good system , just pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to post up a bunch of stuff talking about how much rear charging handles SUCK for scoped AR platform rifles.  You can get big ol' bulky handles to help... bandaid on something that needs stitches.

Say you're all set, cheek welded to the rifle, all sighted in, ready to pull the trigger and DOH!  You forgot to charge your first round.  Reach up to that stupid charging handle, try to get your fingers under the scope, smack yourself in the mouth trying to maintain position and realize it can't be done. So you remove yourself from your position, charge the handle and then start over getting set for your shot.

Opposed to a side charge upper.  With a right side charge, you'll have to take your hand off the trigger, but you won't have to leave your position.  No problem getting around your scope, no taking your eyes off your target.  Charge it.

If you REALLY want to step it up, get a left side charger.  And if you REALLY, REALLY want to step it up, get a left-side non-ricopracting side charge upper.  WOOOWEE!  She's a beaut.  Yes, you'll pay more.  A lot more.  But nobody at the range will probably have one.

4.jpg

THAT'S the upper I'm saving for.

Oz

• 2 weeks later...

To the op:

When purchasing a trigger, it would be wise to first determine what the intended use for the rifle will be. If you'll be using it for hunting then a single stage trigger would probably be the best option. If you're planning on taking it to the range for paper punching and plinking steel then a good two stage trigger would be optimal.

I use a Geissele SSA-E in my P308 and it is nothing short of superb. It has a first stage pull weight of 2.3# and a crisp second stage break at 1.2# for a total pull weight of 3.5#. It's non-adjustable which means you don't have to worry with having to re-adjust something while at the range and it's easy to install.

In my opinion, and to echo what others before me have already stated, I think you should stick with POF components if you're wanting a gas piston rifle. If you'd rather have a DI setup, give the guys at G.A. Precision a call and find out what they can do for you as they have built the GAP-10 using the POF lower and upper assembly.

Although the POF is made primarily of proprietary parts, I prefer the gas piston setup for several reasons of which I won't divulge because it would likely derail the topic in a piston vs DI debate.

POF*USA P308-20-HSR-308-SPR

Magpul PRS

Geissele SSA-E

Magpul 7.62 Pmag

Accu-Shot BT13 monopod

Atlas V8 BT10-LW17 bipod

American Defense Recon mount

Falcon Industries Ergo Tactical grip

NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 ZS

Primary Weapons Systems FSC30 compensator

640.jpg

640.jpg

Only way to use a DPMS upper with a POF lower is to make small bushings that go into the takedown and pivot pin lug holes on the DPMS upper, because POF uses .250" dia pivot and takedown pins while DPMS (and most others) use .277" pins. If you physically were to assemble a POF lower and DPMS upper together without the bushings, the gun may function, but you'll have.027" play between the pins of the lower and the lugs of the upper, which will give you a very sloppy/loose feeling gun. I agree that the POF lowers are very nice high quality lowers. If your going piston just use POF upper stuff and save yourself a LOT of aggravation. If your going DI the GAP parts would be great, (if they will sell them to you separately). You could also contact Doug Kircher at MOLON LABE and see if he has any of the uppers left that he made for building a DI .308 AR using a POF lower. I have one of them and it's a pretty neat piece. You can find my post with pics of it, in the POF section of this forum. By the way, a gun built using matched upper and lower (and other components) from one manufacturer, will almost always bring a higher resale price than a "Frankengun", if you should decide to sell it later on

• 4 weeks later...