• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Robocop1051's Mega Arms Billet Ambidextrous AR15

Robocop1051

I have been working on and off again on a AR15 rifle for some time now. This was my first build up from parts, and my first piston system. This is what I have installed.

* Mega Arms Billet Ambidextrous AR15 Upper and Lower

* CMC Flat Tactical Trigger

* Rainier Arms Match .223 Wild (1:8") 14.5" Mid length Stainless Steel Barrel

* Battlecomp v1.5 (of course)

* BAD, Inc. BADASS Short Throw w/ crank and short levers

* Adams Arms Mid Length Piston Kit

* Troy BattleAxe Pistol Grip

* Magpul ACS Stock w/ Lrg Buttpad and swivel attachment

* Tubb CS Flat Spring

* Carrier Weight System

* Daniel Defense FSPM Ext. Mid Length Freefloat Lite-Rail

* Troy Micro Di-Optic Tritium Battle Sights

Sorry in advance for the poor quality pics.

ada9cb1c.jpg

72abee77.jpg

77bf39dd.jpg

f333b06b.jpg

7e0f7ecb.jpg

f18babc7.jpg

I had some small issues mating parts that weren't designed to go together. The Daniel Defense FSPM rail and the Adams Arms kit were incompatible at first. Some small manipulation was required to "influence" them to work nicely together. You can see below where I had to fit the the two pieces together.

1513cc94.jpg1513cc94-1.jpg

hey robo, nice job. an ar15 build will soon be my first ground up build, (twins actually, one for me and crom.a.boo) and i like what you have done. is that the rainier thunderbolt in there? also, i am going to get that same barrel, eagerly waiting for your range report. nice metal work in that rail. how much does it weigh?

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to shoot my new AR. I went out to a friends ranch and spent my valentines day blasting away.

Phase 1: not so good. Gun fired. Short stroked and failed to feed a second round. The recoils was so light, I wish I had brought my 22 to compare. I swear this was lighter.

14.5" mid barrel

Mis Piston

CS flat spring

CWS with full weight

Phase two:

Pulled the CWS out and tried again. Same results.

Phase three:

Luckily I brought a spare carbine spring. Quickly swapped parts and back down range. Shoots and cycles. Reinstalled CWS and still functions.

End result was a rifle that still popped like a .22lr

It was so gentle that I had friends commenting on how fun it was to shoot. Unfortunately I didn't take any paper to sight in. I blasted about 100 rounds into a tree stump  before I had to return to my Valentines day duties.

I'm marking this one as a success.  <thumbsup>

Yes. Mega makes a billet lower (bought through Dave) with a right side bolt release. The button is right above the magazine release. If you do it, double check the model. They sell two styles. Both work the same and cost the same, just cosmetically they're different. The "GTR-3H-AMBI" is designed to match up with their billet uppers. They are a bit bulkier than standard. The "GTR-3S-AMBI" is designed to match up to standard forged uppers. I have the 3H model, and regular uppers fit on it, but they just don't look right. I would've bought the 3S if I did it again.

AXTS also makes one. But $$$.

The "GTR-3H-AMBI" is designed to match up with their billet uppers. They are a bit bulkier than standard. The "GTR-3S-AMBI" is designed to match up to standard forged uppers. I have the 3H model, and regular uppers fit on it, but they just don't look right. I would've bought the 3S if I did it again.

i was thinking of getting the set, i already have the list from dave

AXTS also makes one. But $$$.

true that  :o

I'm in California, so no mag releases for me. I'm working on my exemption letter still. LE can own AW's in Cali, if their Chief approves. Unfortunately my dept uses class III HK G36k's, not AR's. So it's difficult to pass the letter.

As soon as, if ever, I get my exemption I'll put on a Norgon or Troy ambi mag release.

just pm'd dave on the gtr-3h ambi set w/ charging handle  :o ;D and so it begins

I got my 3H stripped lower from Dave - great service, and it's a beauty.  :love4:  Gonna be a 300BLK, one day.

chainsaw is a noveske receiver set I was contemplating

My stripped upper and lower should be here Saturday.  It'll be a shooter about an hour later.  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Robo, you said you wish you would have gotten the 3S instead, why since you got the mega upper too? Will the Mega upper still work with a 3S? I'm going to make order with Dave now but this 3H vs 3S thing is still hampering me. I was thinking 3H because I want the Mega upper too, but that limits you with only being compatible with Mega upper doesn't it?

The 3H is beautiful. It is still compatible with all uppers, but the lines on the outside don't match up. So, cosmetically, it doesn't look right. I originally wanted a VLTOR upper, so the 3S would have looked nicer. After building it, looking at it, and owning it for a few months... I dont mind the 3H at all. In fact, I just bought more Mega billet uppers!