• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Double feed

Spaniky73

I went with the rifle one with heavy spring. It has the anti tilt built in and weighs I am guessing twice as much as the stock one. I have the A2 stock on mine. Before the new buffer the hard plastic would leave marks on my shoulder after about 20-30 rounds. I put over 100 through it without a mark or a single double feed. Also I had an issue with brass shavings clogging up my extractor. After 100+ rounds I could only find 2 pieces compared to the 20-30 pieces I found after 30-40 rounds the last time I fired it. I don't know if it fixed it or the piece that was shaving it off has smoothed out.

I went with the rifle one with heavy spring. It has the anti tilt built in and weighs I am guessing twice as much as the stock one. I have the A2 stock on mine. Before the new buffer the hard plastic would leave marks on my shoulder after about 20-30 rounds. I put over 100 through it without a mark or a single double feed. Also I had an issue with brass shavings clogging up my extractor. After 100+ rounds I could only find 2 pieces compared to the 20-30 pieces I found after 30-40 rounds the last time I fired it. I don't know if it fixed it or the piece that was shaving it off has smoothed out.

thanks, your the second person ive heard say somthing about the stock marking up their shoulder. but the other was a ameture gun review on youtube and after the rest of his review he kinda struck me as a sissy LOL. but it did get me thinking on the buffer less kick back is better:D

I have Limbsaver pads on all my rifles (except the 10/22; LOL) and only wonder why everybody else does not have them?  I am too old and have been through too much in the real world to worry about being called something mean.  I paid my dues a dozen times;  was the only long-term 'survivor' in jobs with 100%/30-90 day turnover rates because the others would not work that hard or focus enough on doing what the job required. 

The Limbsaver on my DPMS may not even be necessary;  it will stay there.

Limbsaver makes 4 standard pads (last time I checked).  One of them is a nearly exact match for the A-2 stock on my DPMS.  I used a one-inch (as best I can recall) wood bit to shave the top of the plastic backing plate so it would fit over the end of the buffer tube assembly.  Then I drilled the (original) screw hole larger in the center of where I had thinned the backplate so the attachment screw with the vent hole would fit.  Finally,  another hole in the bottom of the pad for the lower attachment screw because the factory hole is very much in the wrong place.  I opened up the top screw hole in the rubber pad with a (5/8" ?) Forstner bit,  being careful not to scratch the plastic backing plate;  and the rubber pad new screw hole at the bottom with a (1/4" ?) Forstner bit without scratching the underlying plastic.  Handheld drill motor.  End result:  NO FELT RECOIL.

My only regret is not having a countersink that would reasonably reach into the soft rubber to give a little taper in the backing plate for that top screw to seat into.

I lost access to the little storage hole in the end of the stock and added a 1/2 inch to Length Of Pull.  The extra length of pull feels very good to me.

I suspect that my factory DPMS has a heavy buffer that soaks up a lot of recoil.  In any case,  the Limbsaver  is a lot cheaper than a brake and is legal everywhere and for all purposes of use of the rifle.

Good point about a recoil pad. It does reduce felt recoil.

The felt recoil however in MY opinion is not really significant. Maybe it is because I am used too much larger calibers i.e. 300/338 wm. What I am looking for is the fastest follow up possible. Will a heavy buffer help that? Not sure. I am convinced a brake will, I'm putting a JP tactical on mine very soon.

Hoot, for you to say something is "not hard" is like an F-15 telling a Cessna it's not hard to break mach1! lol

You are correct in that I should have prefaced that with from my experience, it was not hard. Quite honestly, it looks harder than it is and though I used but one approach, it is certainly not the only approach. It does hinge upon having some junk lead, a short length of left over EMT conduit, a bernzomatic torch, sandpaper, hacksaw, a vise (or hammer) and some JB Weld.

There were times in the earlier years of my life, when I didn't have all of those at my disposal and I should have considered that. Many members of the forum I wrote that on, have different degrees of talent and equipment, but they improvised and pulled it off.

Hoot

Hoot,  love your 'how to' on this.  Thank you for creating it!

I pulled the carrier from my own LR-308 and compared it to your pictures.  Your carrier,  using measurements from my monitor screen,  appears to have a tube length behind the slot of about 0.75 x diameter.  My factory DPMS carrier has a tube length behind the slot that measures 2.67 x diameter.  That would seem to make it a factory "heavy" carrier?  OAL of the BCG is (about) 8.5 & 8 11/16 inches;  OAL of the buffer assembly inside the A-2 stock is (about) 10 7/8 inches.  Weight of the BCG (on a Doctor's Office balance scale) appears to be a hair less than 5/8 pound which would agree well with your 5 ounce BCG plus the 4 oz lead add-on.

Operation of my DPMS is smooth and it ejects brass without undue force about 90 degrees to the right into my range box which I use as a brass catcher on the bench at the range.  I can and have spent all day at the range wearing a T-shirt,  shooting up to 5 rifles,  all with the Limbsaver pads and when I finally finish my thirsty is screaming,  my hungry is filing for disaster relief,  my shoulder is asking "When do we start?"

I have had exactly 3 double feeds out of the first 210 rounds through my predator. Always with a steel mag, none with my Poly mags so not exactly worried about it.

You sparked my interest enough though on the heavy buffer, I gotta try one. Thanks!

I was getting double feeds with the Poly and steel mags and this seems to have fixed the issue. Also I got a knockoff limb saver but wanted to see if the buffer would make any difference first and it did. No marks and I was also able to put 20 rapid fired rounds into a piece of paper (8"x11") at 60yds without a miss from a supported seated position.

rifle_position_sitting.jpg

Of the few people that have had feed issues with their LAR-8 your the first I have seen that continued to have them after switching to the Poly mags.  I do understand the heavy buffer fixed your double feeds but how old is your LAR-8 (mid or rifle?) and how many rounds would you guess you have shot through it? Do you hand load, or factory only?

I should be getting the Heavy Buffer and new spring today. I hand load but typically only load to lower pressure levels. Curious if my loads will even cycle with the HB I'll find out this weekend. I can always bump the charge up until they do.

Shot 46 rounds this weekend with the HB and spring from Slash. Dispite my handloads at the starting charge I had 100% reliability. Well almost, I tried my $55 5-rd steel mag from RRA and it double fed on the second round. It obviously has issues totally unrelated to the gun. Messing around with it after the range session I figured out I can make a round pop up by just pushing in and releasing fast with my finger. Easy to see why it double feeds so I hate to even mention it in this context.

With my mild loads the recoil reduction was noticable. I would expect factory loads with higher port pressure at the gas block to be even better.

Anyone interested in a good, inexpensive load - 42.4gr TAC Nosler CC 155gr ww case rem 91/2

This only does about 2540fps in my 20". I knew it wasn't very fast but this weekend was the first chance I had to chrony it. I want to bump it up a little closer to 2700fps and see if the accuracy holds. I tried CCI200 as well, not quite as accurate and the sd. was higher. But the surprising part the velocity was ~ 2475fps. I didn't think a primer change alone would make that much difference. Interesting too with the CCI200 I was on the ragged edge for the last round bolt catch to kick up. With the rem91/2 worked 100%.

Thanks for the field report Spaniky73.

A muzzle brake or recoil pad will help reduce felt recoil, but the gun is still taking a beating.  This is especially true on DPMS .308s with their anemic buffers and springs. 

A heavy buffer actually slows down the BCG, which makes things a LOT easier on the bolt, extractor and brass and your shoulder.  ;)

Thanks for the field report Spaniky73.

A muzzle brake or recoil pad will help reduce felt recoil, but the gun is still taking a beating.  This is especially true on DPMS .308s with their anemic buffers and springs. 

A heavy buffer actually slows down the BCG, which makes things a LOT easier on the bolt, extractor and brass and your shoulder.  ;)

Not a problem. I thought that others should know about your product. It really helped my rifle and you answered all of my questions promptly before I bought it. Thanks.