• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

cleaning kit

playing the waiting game, but im trying to get ready for when my RRA LR8 shows up. i have a basic cleaning kit for my hunting rifles and shot guns its not the greatest. did alil reading around this section noticed you guys use some picks and what not for cleaning. does someone sell a kit with the basics i will need for cleaning my gun. also are there any tools i will need to get that are a must or even to be safe?

I use a coated flex cable to pull thru brushes and patches from breech to muzzle,is that wrong brother Robo?

I'm the worst person to ask about whats "right or wrong" about cleaning. While I enjoy the time I spend cleaning a gun while watching football and drinking a cold beer.... I really hate cleaning my guns. I shoot them dirty and expect top notch performance with them. A flex cable seems like it would work fine, but it would take a long time. I'm sure it's better than relying on a bore-snake.

I "Trust in Kroil."  Of course I am a serious "Contrarian" and do no more than what seems to me to meet the need?

Aluminum cleaning rod (aluminum is a lot softer than the steel bore?);  22 caliber bronze brush;  paper towel cut (NO! not your wife's delicate sewing scissors!  A cheap pair of kitchen shears from that aisle in the grocery store!) in strips wide enough to fully cover/wrap the bronze brush and with enough layers to fit reasonably tightly in the bore;  Wet the swab with Kroil or my mixture of 20%-35% Kroil mixed into Mobil One Full Synthetic 5 or 10W-30;  Push wet swab from breech through bore and out muzzle;  unscrew & remove swab before pulling cleaning rod out of bore;  put new paper towel on brush and do it again- and again-  and . . .  until the bore is clean.  OK--  I do use powder solvent for the first few times. 

The Gurus I follow say never never never push or pull a cleaning device through the bore except in the same direction as a fired bullet.

Run a dry swab or at least a dry patch through the bore just before you go shoot.

Because of that synthetic oil,  I do not get much build-up of anything and the bores usually clean up in a dozen or so swabbings.  If not,  let them sit overnight with a liberal slosh of oil/Kroil or until you have time again.  Kroil is like the 'Grinding Wheels Of The Gods-- '  exceeding fine but exceeding slow. 

I would really love to see the inside of the bore with a good borescope to see what this does in real detail.  If any gun writers see this comment,  do an article in your magazine with lots of borescope pictures?  And tell us here which magazine & issue?  In any case,  my bores are nice and shiny and look to be sparkly clean with sharp edges & grooves on rifling as far as I can tell.