• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the Big Boy Rifle

New member from the poorly labeled Free State of Maryland, have learned quite a bit about building my .308 rifles just from the posts I have been reading. My first one was a total failure, all the problems listed I seemed to find. So now I am working on an Aero Precision build with mostly M5 parts, upper 18" rifle length gas with a listed .0890 gas port and the adjustable block. Used the recommended orange spring in the aero carbine tube, but may have gone too far with the KVP AR10 SS buffer that all said and done was about 5.7oz. As of yet have not fired this version, so I am hoping for the best. I like to shoot outdoor ranges and just not a fan of the indoor shooting, so waiting for better weather. Hope that it goes well. My BCA is still a work in progress. Have been following the "waterboarding" to the letter (I hope)

4 hours ago, Primeh1alpha said:

18" rifle length gas with a listed .0890 gas port and the adjustable block. Used the recommended orange spring in the aero carbine tube, but may have gone too far with the KVP AR10 SS buffer that all said and done was about 5.7oz.

Welcome aboard  - I think you're gonna be fine with the recoil system.  The listed gas port diameter is damn close.  All of these are slightly different, and I've seen 18" rifle gas .308s with 0.750" journal diameters need a gas port diameter up to 0.096" before. Start that adjustable gas block wide open, when you do start lighting it up.

You're on a great track with it, man - stay the course, see what it does like that, with the parts you have now.   :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I have already purchased my Ace Hardware drill bits just because you may never know. Forgot to mention that I had purchased 2 Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG's. When my rifles were shooting they seemed to be doing their job just fine. What I found after going through all the information here was almost always  too short gas tube, wrong buffer and spring, crappy BCG, etc. (all from BCA rifle). Broke the buffer retainer off, carbine tube was too short by about 1/8". I have fixed all those issues just waiting to get back outside and give it a go again.

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg