• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

mix and match uppers/lowers

RUTGERS95

i have a fulton lower/dpms upper. the real question...what do i call it. the lower is stamped fulton, and technically the lower is the "firearm" while the upper is unmarked. would i sound like a pretentious poser if i just tell people i have a FAR308? do i have to specify every time its a fulton/dpms frankengun? do i just call it a panther in the spirit of humility? does dpms secretly make everyones parts anyway?

I think it is a great idea.  It would be very difficult to keep updated.  Most of the upper and lower receiver castings are,  according to some text within the "80%" thread,  made by one or two companies to the same specs.  The differences are minor variations in how mating edges are machined or in the position and size of pins and some internal parts.  Patent avoidance.

The solution is easy.  Either buy the upper & lower set from the same company at the same time or ask the companies before buying if the parts and assemblies are compatible.  At least some of this information is included in the product descriptions I read.

Another possibility is to buy complete rifles and modify them.  Put the OEM parts in storage (Zip Locks?) with identification (Description of the rifle with serial numbers). 

i think its a good idea. someone on my local forum was looking to buy a stripped lower or upper, and didnt care about brand. i mentioned they dont all play nice and he said he had no idea. might be a cool sticky to link people to and get some more site traffic.

maybe someone in the know just start spitting out all the manufacturers they can think of and we can give our input on what works together. admin or mod can clean it up as the list gets useful or makes a tech page for it.

Fulton Armory = DPMS compatability

i have a fulton lower/dpms upper. the real question...what do i call it. the lower is stamped fulton, and technically the lower is the "firearm" while the upper is unmarked. would i sound like a pretentious poser if i just tell people i have a FAR308? do i have to specify every time its a fulton/dpms frankengun? do i just call it a panther in the spirit of humility?

My setup is quite similar - a Fulton lower, and an upper built by Atomic Tactical with mostly DPMS parts.  If it was all Fulton I could realistically call it a Titan, and if it was all DPMS I could call it a Panther - but it's not.  So, "I christen thee my Atomic .308 AR!"  That should get some laughs, anyway... :D

- Fulton Lower

- CMMG LPK

- MAGPUL PRS Stock and completion Kit

- Atomic tactical upper with DPMS receiver, DPMS 18" SASS barrel, AAC Blackout flash hider, Troy MRF BattleRail free float handguard, PRI gas block

- DPMS BCG

My setup is quite similar - a Fulton lower, and an upper built by Atomic Tactical with mostly DPMS parts.  If it was all Fulton I could realistically call it a Titan, and if it was all DPMS I could call it a Panther - but it's not.  So, "I christen thee my Atomic .308 AR!"  That should get some laughs, anyway... :D

- Fulton Lower

- CMMG LPK

- MAGPUL PRS Stock and completion Kit

- Atomic tactical upper with DPMS receiver, DPMS 18" SASS barrel, AAC Blackout flash hider, Troy MRF BattleRail free float handguard, PRI gas block

- DPMS BCG

where's the pic's of this atomic beast??

The .308 PMAGs are compatible with multiple manufacturers' rifles - http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG243/11

Compatible lowers include the US Military M110 Semiaoutomatic Sniper System (SASS), and -

KAC SR25, DPMS LR308, LWRCI REPR, LaRue OBR, Bushmaster .308 ORC, LMT .308 MWS*, Remington R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, Les Baer .308, the new Armalite AR-10A, and others.