• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Okay, I finally figured out how to downsize these pics so I could post them here I think. (I know, I'm a computer tard!) These are those Texas jalapeno sausages we grilled up on the 4th. There's also bacon wrapped 'dogs and carne asada. The foil bags have sliced bell peppers, onions, jalapenos & seasoning cooking in them to go on the dogs. Ten pounds of sausage, ten pounds of carne asada, around 20 hot dogs with all the sides and a keg of Ziegenbock Amber on tap and next to nothing left over!

Now I got the family all after me to get more sausage and the wife says to get 20 lbs. next time! <lmao>

post-1361-136297278329_thumb.jpg

post-1361-136297278332_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

392  dadgum....good smoke coming out of a full grill dont get no better...awesome! <thumbsup>  but if I remember correctly didnt you or your bro get  the sausage from a guy in a town just down the road fro La Grange?  I have to smile when I saw that post!

when I was seventeen...I took my sausage to La Grange in '65....yep the "chicken ranch" yep ZZ top had it right....as a matter of fact it was so good I went back 2 more times in the very early 70's before it got shut down..funniest story. trying to find it in '65 was in Austin at frat party bout 1am someone said lets go to the ranch...okay im in...so we are driving and getting close but couldnt quite find it in the middle of the night...stopped in a c store...there was a  Dps leo in there drinking coffee...so i was asking the store clerk real quiet like..."where is the ranch"...well the dps officer heard me...he comes over puts his hand on my shoulder...im crappin in my pants

he proceeds to give me directions to get there <laughs> couldnt believe that the turnoff sign to the ranch was a Texas highway sign pointing the way with the farm to market name on this very dark private road

Now that ladies and gents is government at work! <thumbsup>  ah the good ol days...a fella could go around the world for 20 bucks with the help of the Texas Highway Patrol  <laughs>  Wash

Hi Guys    here's the other white meat...pork loin

so you put your rub on the loin <laughs> or you rub the loin...then refridge for several hours....heat up the smoker to 320 degrees and smoke till internal temp is 165 degrees basting with  Mr Yoshidas  teriyaki marinade

sauce.....pull it off slice it up and go for it  <thumbsup>

meanwhile.....Char just got through making  a cherry cheese pie...again <lmao> Rene you ready?

:) Wash

1-15.jpg

1-16.jpg

1-14.jpg

Picked up some thick cut boneless pork chops last night, rubbed them with webber apple wood rub, put them in the fridge for 30-45 min heated up the grill then cut the heat back to 300-320* and cooked for about 20 min. They were the juciest chops I've ever had

Picked up some thick cut boneless pork chops last night, rubbed them with webber apple wood rub, put them in the fridge for 30-45 min heated up the grill then cut the heat back to 300-320* and cooked for about 20 min. They were the juciest chops I've ever had

Shepp  that applewood rub is my favorite...its  great on pork!  :)  Wash

• 2 weeks later...

not quite grilling but kinda

my girlfriend has been spending alota time on pintrest and found jalapeno popper sandwhiches.

sour dough bread

cream cheese

roasted jalapenos

and chedder cheese

roasted the peppers on the grill @ 400 for 5-10 min or till skin bubbles, let cool and remove skin.

then butter bread put cream cheese on one slice, chedder on the other slice, roasted peppers in the middle and cool in pan like grilled cheese.

i also added bacon on my second one pretty damn tasty!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Labor day weekend I'm going to smoke a pork butt for my birthday party I have every year. I ground some pretty good guidelines to fallow off google (temp time all the good stuff) I was wondering if you guys had any tips for rubs, or home made BBQ sauces? Was thinking about making 2-3 different kinds of sauce.

Thanks

Neal

Lets see if i can get it typed up right (didn't write it down, like a moron).

Im gonna list in percentages of total rub:

40% brown sugar

10%cayenne (negotiable based on level of spice preferred)

20%onion powder

10%garlic powder (or just chop some cloves and shove them into the meat)

10%chili powder

10% commercial rub (i like the weber kicken chicken or weber lemon pepper)

injectable:

30% worcestershire

20% red wine or red wine vinegar

10% lemon juice

50% apple juice/white grape juice mix

i only use about 6-8 ounces of this for an 8-10lb shoulder, and put it in the fridge after injecting for at least a couple hours

I take whatever's left of the liquid and use it to mop about three times after about 3, 4 and 5 hours of cooking.  Once it's cooked, adding some brown sugar to the mix without the redwine/redwine vinegar then cooking to boiling for a few minutes  to thicken it makes a fairly good sauce.

Times and temps are pretty standard. cook at the 225 til internal temp get's where you want it.  I've done this in a smoker, but it's a propane smoker from walmart, so easier to regulate temp than when i used to use a larger pit.  May be sacrilege to some, but the people eating won't complain  :)

Alternate sauces: ketchup, italian dressing, worcestershire  (30-50-20%)

Adding mcormick montreal spicy steak seasoning to your favorite honey bbq sauce goes well too with above. 

For a different spin, take the pork and put over some salty corn chips, add some nacho cheese and jalapenos, and some grilled onions. 

Just some thoughts

Russ

I just noticed my % for the injection doesnt add up right lol.  But yall get the idea.  Anyway, the red wine is something i learned from brisket cooking, and isnt necessary for pork, but i like it.  What i do ask, is if you do something different with it, lemme know how it turns out ao i can try it (always looking for an excuse to cook more, even though i dont actually need one :D)

Russ

russ,

some used brown mustard to make their rub stick better, other use veg oil.

any input??

PS i pulled some smoked trout outta the freezer a few weeks back that i vac sealed, man i think it was better after being frozen and thawed then it was the first time around. thats one thing i love about vac sealing things, sometimes it makes things better trapping in all that goodness

any input??

I use plain ol yellow mustard on all things pork to make rub stick on better...never used it on fish or chicken or steak..funny thing is...you never taste the mustard...its just acting as a glue :)  Wash

any input??

I use plain ol yellow mustard on all things pork to make rub stick on better...never used it on fish or chicken or steak..funny thing is...you never taste the mustard...its just acting as a glue :)  Wash

thank you sir:D

who woulda ever thunk we'd be sharing grilling secrets on a gun forum ;)

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic