Grilling

imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll pass along my brisket recipe for you to gander at, in case you wanna try it.  Also my cooking instructions since i do it a bit different than what I consider to be normal.  I should have time to type it up this evening.  Glad to hear the pork turned out well, and you were happy with it.  After seeing those results, I think i'm going to have to load up and head to wash's place and get some real time in person smoker lessons... <laughs>

Russ

Hey Russ  come on over...We will burn it down <laughs>

im still a noob....but ill try anything...thats the key!

ive just passed the 1000 lb mark on the wood pellets for my smoker <laughs>  Wash

Grilling and guns! My two favorite hobbies! I'm a hardcore charcoal guy, so gas and/or electric smokers just seem wrong to me.  ;)

I have a couple different grills, but my latest toy is a Kamado-style cooker (Char-griller Akorn). Some of my recent projects include...

20lbs of pork butt for a birthday party:

before_20lb_butts.jpg

The old standby - Beer Can Chicken

before_beercan_chix.jpg

Boneless turkey breast(s)

before_turkey_breast.jpg

Split chicken breasts

before_split_breasts.jpg

after_split_breasts.jpg

Meatloaf

during_meatloaf.jpg

after_meatloaf.jpg

Ribs (of course)

during_ribs.jpg

Some cedar-planked salmon

after_cedar_salmon.jpg

And, most recently, about 40 bone-in chicken thighs for another birthday party!

during_thighs.jpg

I don't seem to have any pictures at all of my briskets, and I also noticed that I have a lot of "before" and "during" pictures, but not many "after" pics. Must've been too busy eating!  ;D

Grilling and guns! My two favorite hobbies! I'm a hardcore charcoal guy, so gas and/or electric smokers just seem wrong to me.  ;)

gas for heat, and real wood for the smoke is just as good, and you can get better temp control. but thats just my 2 cents.

I don't seem to have any pictures at all of my briskets, and I also noticed that I have a lot of "before" and "during" pictures, but not many "after" pics. Must've been too busy eating!  ;D

thats the sign of a good smoke, when no one can talk or take photos, they are all just elbow deep in the food.

Hi Guys  Me and Char had that prime evil thing going last nite.soo...we started with a 3lb cowboy cut bone in prime rib :)

Okie dokie...rub that lil boy down with your rub refridge and then

when its time to eat we are gonna do a reverse sear/smoke

I think ive posted this before  <dontknow>

So...our smoker will get to 500 degrees sear each side at 500 for 10 mins on each side...if you smoker wont get there(500)...use your charcoal grill and sear with it

after the second side is seared...turn down the smoker to 190 degrees and smoke till internal gets to 132 dgrees pull it off and foil it till ready to carve....medium rare...and just right for two  adults

:)  Wash

IMG_0487_zps2623aecd.jpg

IMG_0490_zps4aafa5ca.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsf0112d1a.jpg

Yes please!!!!!!! There's a tex/mex/cajon restaurant here, he does hickory smokes prime rib as a special omg it Melts in your mouth!!!!!!

Shepp melt in your mouth is the word! How much does that tex mex cajon guy get for the prime rib?  Now that i think about it if you have to sear on a grill and then put it on a smoker..i dont think your smoker can just be sitting at 190,

cause after the 20 mins of searing at 500 and then turn down the temp to 190 the meat is bout 100 degrees intenal and its only maybe another 25 mins till it reaches 132 internal....and the grill temp is still quite high but but going down and just smoking....so I would have my smoker temp high if i have to sear on a charcoal grill and be letting it fall....daaamnn im all mixed up now <lmao>  Wash

gas for heat, and real wood for the smoke is just as good, and you can get better temp control. but thats just my 2 cents.

Using my Akorn or a B.U.D. smoker, I can keep the temps to +/-10° for 14 hours or more with just charcoal and wood.

Shepp melt in your mouth is the word! How much does that tex mex cajon guy get for the prime rib?  Now that i think about it if you have to sear on a grill and then put it on a smoker..i dont think your smoker can just be sitting at 190,

cause after the 20 mins of searing at 500 and then turn down the temp to 190 the meat is bout 100 degrees intenal and its only maybe another 25 mins till it reaches 132 internal....and the grill temp is still quite high but but going down and just smoking....so I would have my smoker temp high if i have to sear on a charcoal grill and be letting it fall....daaamnn im all mixed up now <lmao>  Wash

Wanna say 12-14 a plate with salad and potato

• 4 weeks later...

Well just found another hobby on the gun board <thumbsup> I love to BBQ and also have a WSM to smoke anything and everything on. Just did a 18lb turkey for thanksgiving. Brined it in a Jack Daniels maple syrup combo for 48hrs. One of the better birds if you ask me :drool:

Will have to start taking pics of my meals now <laughs>

Spectra  I can smoke better than I can shoot <laughs>

did two 16 pounders for Thanksgiving...one for me and one for my friends gathering.....put mine on at 4am....so freakin sleepy forgot to take pics <laughs>  just had a turkey sandwhich again <lmao> daaamn they are better when they get some fridge time ......I didnt brine....wish i had done mine like yours! <thumbsup>  Wash

Yeah mine only took about 3.5 hrs to cook. I think when you brine they cook a lot faster for some reason :cookoo: I do not even want to look at a turkey for a while. We also had a ham that was good.

And same here I can probably cook way better than shooting. Hell my wife refuses to cook anymore and leaves it up to me most of the time <lmao>

in the smoker i made 4# of venison roast and got about 2# jerky in the week before last for gun deer season. ive got a base line marinade, but i normally add this or that to enhance it. this time i added a bottle of Guinness instead of water, turned out pretty well. inadition, i had some rub left over from the last time i made pork butt so before it went into the smoker i sprinkled half the batch with that, added alil extra goodness.

got a rack of turkey ribs <laughs> just going on...pics to follow  Wash

so rub the ribs refridge overnite...put em on at 180 for 5 hours then foil them with some apple juice and werchester

and crank up temp to 250 for 1.5 hours...and let em rest for 15 mins....get your tator and butter ready <laughs> Wash

IMG_0510_zps433703c2.jpg

IMG_0513_zpsd33f3e21.jpg

The pork looks yummy.

Here is the results of my salmon experiment.  It turned out pretty good but not much different than grilling on a cedar plank.  I had to change propane in the middle and was never able to get the temperature above 200 afterwards.  It took about 4 hours to get it up to 160 internal temp.  Once I figure out what happened to the smoker, (hopefully just the propane bottle) I may try it again.

I must of missed this that looks yummy

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys    This was a smoking nightmare....did two 14 lb birds one for us one for my best friends family.

okay Christmas eve  rub em down and stuff em with all the herbs and apples and onions and celery...we used john henry pecan rub,john henry poultry and some apple rub bout 8pm....inject with a stick of melted butter...put em in the garage cause it was 38 and falling....waited on Santa to about 12am and  im starting to feel chilled with a lil sweat too.ruh oh <laughs>  get up at 4am to a driving downpour falling temps and a lightning storm with thunder boomers <laughs> sheesh....put those suckers on at 200 degrees and back to bed with the sweats and chills.....Char started handling the 2 hour check ins......my Bud comes at 11am birds are done and im calling my family to cancel lunch cause im freakin sick......Merry freakin Christmas <laughs>

Wash

IMG_0545_zps99026a27.jpg

GREAT thread.

I am ashamed to admit that only in the last 4-5 years have I gotten into grilling. Yes, the wife usually does it. Cook I am not, no skills.

But there is one exception.

I have the ultimate poor mans grill. It started life as a 55 gallon drum. With a lid.

Here is how it works.

A friend of mine turned me on to this, makes the best dang tri-tip ever.

Take a cleanish 55 gallon drum with a decent lid and a solid bottom.

Find yourself a 14 inch steel car wheel. Get a chunk of steel plate at least 1/8" thick. Get yourself a big sledge hammer and beat it into a shape that looks like a bowl, and that fits in the deep side of the wheel. It doesn't have to be more than 2 inches deep, just shape it to hold a full large bag of your favorite charcol.

Weld it into place in the wheel.

Get some 1 inch or so steel rod or even rebar, make yourself a couple of handels that allow you to place and remove the wheel in the bottom of the drum without bending too far over. Weld them to the inner edge of the wheel.

Go around the bottom of the drum with a large holesaw or other implement and make half a dozen or so holes 2 inches or so in diameter around the perimeter of the barrel to allow air in to the drum.

Now, get a couple of pieces of steel tube, perhaps 3/4 diameter, and place them about 6 inches apart across the top of the drum. What you are going to want to do is drill holes in the sides of the drum, about 3 inches from the top, to slide these pieces of steel through and out the other side.

You want these parallel to each other and about 10 inches apart.

Then drill just 2 holes perpendicular to the rod-holes around the upper outside of the drum like you did on the bottom these holes can be 1 inch or less, (or not at all if you make the holes big enough for the rods)

Then, go to the local welding supply and get some of the largest dia. food grade stainless steel welding rod you can buy. Get enough of it to make 8-10 "S" shaped hooks. where the "S" is about 8 inches from top of the outside curve to the bottom of the outside curve.

Bend the hooks into shape.

I welded a couple of eye hooks into the lid so I can slide a steel bar through it to remove. It gets hotter than a mofo. Do not touch with hands.

Process your tri-tip in your favorite marinade, and run the hooks through one end, I try to run through the small end to keep the majority of the meat nearest the heat source.

Go buy a bag of your favorite charcoal briquets, and a bag of your favorite wood chip flavoring chips for a smoker.

Dump the entire bag of charcoal onto/into the "bowl" shape in the wheel you have installed in your barrel.

Light it off and let it cook down as you normally would, just to where there is no flame. This normally take about an hour for us. Scatter about 1/2 the bag of smoke chips on top of the charcoal, then right away hang your tri tip along the tubes inside the drum, the meat is never going to touch the flame or charcoal.  ;D

Put the lid on the drum. Soon, you'll see smoke leaking outta the hols at the top.

This slow-cooks and smokes the tri-tip at the same time. It take bewteen 2 and 3 hours depending on how you want them cooked and how they are cut. About halfway through, you can dump another bag of flavor chips carefully past the hanging, now tantalizing meat onto the coals.

Don't take the lid off any more often than you must to add chips.

Guesstimate about 30 minutes before you think they'll be done and dump another bag of flavor chips on the charcoal. Try not to drool over the smell and view of the meat. We've fed 50 people on the output of 2 drums through one cycle, so you can put a lot of meat in there.

We call this the "barrel BBQ" and have done Tri-Tip, a big roast, etc. in it. No style of cooking comes close to the flavor and the simplicity is wonderful. When our gang of friends hear we are gonna do it it is party on. We do it in the spring, then the 4th of July, and an end of summer get together.

We have an electric knife and a cutting board ready and when I pull them off the hooks I can't get it cut up before people are hovering like meat bees.

Two things...Don't put the barrel on any surface that you worry about. It will heat concrete and stain it, and grass..well.. I have 6 or 8 bricks I use under it.

Don't plan on moving the barrel for several hours after the cooking. I don't mess with it until the next day. It is hot, hot, hot.

I can dig this thing out and shoot some pics if someone is confused or wants to see it.

Easy to build, finding a good drum is the only work involved.

Happy New Years    so it was pork loin last nite

only smoked for 2 hours at 320.....165 internal easy peasy....heres pics....and sitting right now on the counter waiting to be seared flamed and smoked are our two New years prime tenderloins direct from a true butcher shop.....yes in this  Craphole big city <laughs>

you can still find one butchershop...shelled out some of Char's hard earned cash...but what the hell <lmao>

last nite

IMG_0547_zps41e60f94.jpg

IMG_0548_zps40fd64bb.jpg

waiting on the smoker for tonite

IMG_0550_zps5aa749ea.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic