Grilling

imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smell that?  The rule just turned into something tasty!

I don't have one yet, probably have to sell something non-eatable to have the cash, ,However I can post several glowing reviews of course.

Edited by mrmackc

• 2 weeks later...

Looks killer Shepp, let us know how it tastes. Quick review. I picked up a Char Griller Akorn earlier in the season. Couldn't afford a Big Green Egg, and these are the same concept. Menards if you have them had it on sale for $248. Amazon usually around $299. It is porcelin coated twin wall steel with insulation in between the walls. It has really excellent air control. So far I can get the heat down to 240F, or as high as 700F for searing. With an optional smoking stone insert it serves as a passable smoker, but is actually more of a convection oven.  It is based on the traditional asian kamodo ovens used for thousands of years. Amazing how it retains moisture in everything it cooks. Steaks and roasts are juicy, so is chicken. Takes a lot less time to cook and uses very little charcoal. Use lump charcoal only, however. I will never go back to a Weber.

image.jpg

I fixed grilled chicken breasts and mixed veggies on the "tru Infared" grill tonight, after the Texas Tech / Sam Houston State game. I still have a ways to go to get the meat and veggies done at the same time without burning one or the other, regulating the two different temps, are tricky, but I am getting there, if Darlene and Sunshine don't kill me first!

I decides against buying The Charbroil Big Eazy Tru Infared smoker, roaster, grill.

I already have an Tru Infared grill and saw that the Big Eazy is more useful as a oil-less roaster. I want to be able to slow smoke and also do cold smokeing, so I'm gonna use the stainless stew pot and build a cold smoker attachment for the Char broil grill, and utilize the side burner to start the chips, chunks or pellets to smoke. I will attach the outlet for the smoke almost on the top of the stew pot and I have some ideas about building the air smoke jet, pitot tube to  pull some combustion air up thru some holes in the bottom and suck smoke out of the pot and into the closed grill, but on the side where I can remove the lid and add chips, and it will make it easy to dump the ashes, the lid don't need to be completely air tight since there will be negative pressure inside the pot, a little smoke loss will just show it is working okay, I think.   I am going to try to use the old CPAP air pump to supply the air.

I have two pistols to re-spring and 2 Franchi 20 Ga. 48AL shotguns to clean and check for needed parts for next week and kill some doves to grill with bacon, and make some with gravy.  That will delay the work on the smoker,  I probably will need a couple of days at the range, haven't been since I put in the new Gisselle trigger in the LR308.  I really don't like all the mechanical noise and the rough feel of the action going back and forth either. Probably will need a silent buffer setup. I also need to sight in 4 scopes since I put on new mounts.  I am getting tired of only working on my own stuff, may check about getting another FFL for a repair, buy and sell shop, nothing strenuous since I sold my machine tools. have some good hand tools and a couple of power tools, no bluing, this time around. that grinding rust and polishing steel is hard on an old man, besides keeping a set of bluing tanks fired up and cleaned sucks.  

Edited by mrmackc

Just watched a very cool series of shows on PBS, it was Franklins BBQ, great central Texas spot, this has nothing to do with the fact I attended UT I promise, but he delved into building smokers and different meats, etc etc, was a great show, highly recommended!

get his book, "Franklin Barbeque: A meat smoking manifesto"  It is good. Below dinner tonight. Two bone in ribeyes from our half a cow we bought this year for $2.40 a pound butchered and wrapped.

Rubbed with fresh garlic, basted with salmuera(salt water) for a salty crust. None left by the way.

image.jpg

Great stuff too, don't know how they do it. This year its going to be a little more, but I haven't bought beef in a store for 14 years. Used to get a whole cow, but that was too much, ended up giving a bunch to food shelves. Always have them cut the steaks 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches thick, evn the round steak. So tender that you don't need to pound the round steak.

Great stuff too, don't know how they do it. This year its going to be a little more, but I haven't bought beef in a store for 14 years. Used to get a whole cow, but that was too much, ended up giving a bunch to food shelves. Always have them cut the steaks 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches thick, evn the round steak. So tender that you don't need to pound the round steak.

might be worth the drive to the north woods

Yeah and in a few weeks get to see the fall colors,  buy some cheeses., catch some big fishes.

Does U-haul rent reefer trucks or trailers?

Texas 500 - 600 pound feedlot steers are selling a bit lower than 250/100  on the hoof this week,

It would be a better deal to buy meat up there and pay for delivery.

Edited by mrmackc

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic