• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Blocks Revisited

planeflyer21

So, after attaching a MBUS rear to Liberty, I had to crank the stock front post down so far that a good cheekweld is not possible (have to turn my head to get my eye low enough that the sights align correctly).

Adding a MBUS front solved the sighting issue but now there is that pesky RRA front folder/gas block.  Seeing that this is an obvious opportunity to get an adjustable gas block, I pose the question:

What do my brothers here recommend?

Jon

932heminut is right, it's the material.

The A2 front sight gas block and many name brand low profile gas blocks are made from steel. Picatinny style gas blocks are generally made from aluminum. There are even some that are part steel and part aluminum, like the flip up sight gas blocks. I have both steel and aluminum in my inventory, and can't say I really appreciate one more than the other.

Like SS, I'm not a big fan of the idea behind adjustable gas block's. All that extra gas can be used to control the barrel through proper muzzle devices. If your cyclic rate is too fast there are other remedies that are proven to be more reliable, ie; the Tubb CWS or one of Slash's Heavy Buffers.

I believe a majority of the gas problems come from companies putting carbine length gas tubes on barrels long enough to accept a longer gas system. I argue this point with both .308 and .223 rifles. My belief is that any barrel longer than 12" should have at least a mid length gas system, and any barrel longer than 16" should have a rifle length gas system. Only SBR's should be using carbine gas.

**Disclaimer: My opinion in no way should be taken as gospel. It is completely the biased opinion of gun-snob, who is admittedly prejudice against all guns and gun parts he deems unworthy, with absolutely no factual grounds on which to base his opinions. <thumbsup>

Robo, I would agree with your assessment for gas system lengths for any rifle system, direct impingement or piston.

As there is no "mil-spec" for the .308 AR types, I like to get input from those with more experience.

Maybe I'll just make a custom gas block with a permanently fixed bayonet with a 22" blade or so.

<thumbsup>

Jon

**Disclaimer: My opinion in no way should be taken as gospel. It is completely the biased opinion of gun-snob, who is admittedly prejudice against all guns and gun parts he deems unworthy, with absolutely no factual grounds on which to base his opinions. <thumbsup>

NHO = Never Humble Opinion

<lmao>

• 4 weeks later...

Jon, look at the PRI parts.  Nothing but top quality, all the way around.  <thumbsup>

I can get this for as low as $62.10, and there's a July 4th sale until the 6th of July (10% off).  I don't know if my discount will trump the sale, but it's worth a shot.  That price is for the 0.750" adjustable block. 

Lemme know what you can find it for, and if I can get it cheaper I'll grab it up and bring it up to you sometime.  <thumbsup>

10026_46543.jpg