• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Battle Arms Develpment BAD-DBM

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on here do Inletting? I have contacted several places locally and they want a ton for inletting. I would prefer to buy a Bell and Carlson over the Choate stock with the M5 inlet already done. It is not that the Choate is bad or anthing it is just that the Metallist stocks have the full Aluminum through the grip where as far as I can tell the Choate stock lacks the aluminum in their pistol grip and back. I could be wrong on this though.

I don't think there's any difference in the "regular" Accurate Mag 10-rounders and with what Ruger ships - not confirmed, though.  I'll order another 10-rounder from Accurate Mag just to find out.

Tom, you're among friends here, you don't have to make excuses with us to buy more mags! <lmao>

Tom, you're among friends here, you don't have to make excuses with us to buy more mags! <lmao>

I've gotta justify it to myself somehow...  When I tell myself it's for "testing, to help others" it hurts alot less than "I need a BOX of these mags NOW!"...  <laughs> <lmao>

As far as Ruger's GSR polymer mag - Ruger made it to fit their rifle, as a cheaper alternative than buying the Accurate Mag that ships with their rifle.  I understand it, and I'm glad they did it.  I have one Accurate Mag (for now, anyway), and I picked up 3 Ruger polymer mags.  I spent $120 on those 3 mags, but I would have spent $240 on 3 Accurate Mags.

It would have been a bonus if the Ruger polys fit this conversion, but there's no reason that Ruger should change the design of it just to fit other systems - it's not designed for other systems.  <dontknow>

Does anyone on here do Inletting?

I inletted my own - it's really not that hard to do.  <thumbsup>

Toughest part on mine was the rear pillar.  It need to be 1.07" from bottom to mounting point on the receiver, and as it was stock, it was 1.27".  Pulling out that extra 0.20" and leveling the mounting surface there was the most time-consuming part of the whole affair.  Widening the mag body location in the stock wasn't tough at all.

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys. I'm new to the forum and new to the BAD-DBM. I got one for Christmas this morning to go on my Remington 700 5R .380. I'd been researching Mags online for it but decided to email Battle Arms at 7:00 am on Christmas morning. I didn't expect an email back till later in the week when the work week settled back in. But WOW, Roger emailed me back like 5 min. later. Now THATS customer service.

Any, he pointed me in the right direction to get a mag or two ordered and on they way. However, in the process, I stumbled across this discussion. Seems like you guys have tested several mags with the BAD-DBM.

I've been looking at the following:

1. AI-6852 AX AICS 7.62/.308 (5-shot)

2. AI-6955 AX AICS 7.62/.308 (10-shot)

3. AI-3901 AICS .308 (5-Shot)

4. AI-3902 AICS .308 (10-Shot)

5. Alpha Ind Mfg .308 Type 1 / AICS

6. Ruger Scout Mag

Any recommendations to a newbie? I want to order a few of these. With the prices, I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,

Dennis

The Ruger GSR polymer mags fit in the bottom metal, but won't cycle ammunition.  The Ruger GSR steel magazine fits and runs like a champ - That's the AI-patterned Accurate Mag.  Works flawlessly.

Any short-action magazine (in round count, 5, 10, whatever) from Accuracy International or Accurate Mag (on the AI pattern) will work in this bottom metal setup.

Thanks for the advice and welcome guys. Looks like I came into the hunt for magazines at the wrong time!

I had one of the Ruger steel mags in my hand last week at my local pawn shop. Wasn't sure it would work so I didn't get it. I'll be waiting at their doorstep for them to open Thursday in hopes that it's still there.

I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle trying to install the BAD-DBM myself or letting the local gunsmith do it. I'd rather him do it but I know it'll be a month or more with his backlog. I tried fitting it and my stock will have to be milled out a bit. I'm not sure if I'm that steady with the Dremel tool.

• 1 month later...

I got my rifle back from the gunsmith with my BAD-DBM installed. You were right, the Alpha mags to wobble a good bit but feed just nicely. I'll had an Accurate mag when all the dust settles....(Hopefully it will settle!)

I really like the DBM and the release is so smooth!! Those wobbly Alpha mags fall right out like melted butter.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Hi Dennis :)

Alpha mags will have lots of wobble.  Accurate Mags and AI mags are the only ones we use.  Re: inletting, I'd suggest that you let a competent gunsmith that's done plenty of such work perform the task, or you can buy an HS Precision, or McMillan stock that's already inletted :)

I'm not familiar with the FN SPR, is that close to the Remington 700?  :)

If its like my FN PBR...its basically a Winchester model 70 action with a detachable 4rd mag. Any plans for model 70 DBM? Its probably the most popular action behind the remmy...and you would be selling to the FN and the Winchester guys. Might be a money maker!