• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb needing help....

rekitter

Hey guys, I've been gathering parts to assemble my first 308 ar. So far, I have a Tactical Machining upper and lower, DPMS SASS barrel and early next week I should be receiving a dpms 308 specific lpk and chrome bcg complete. I plan to order a Troy trx-lp, 13.8" handguard and had intended to run a Magpul UBR stock. I talked with Clint at heavy buffers and ordered his CAR 10 buffer and spring. In the meantime (today) I got ahold of a PRS stock fir cheap. As the cost of this build is quickly adding up, I think I'll put on hold ordering the ubr stock. As the buffer and spring are already on their way, I'll hold them for when I do go with a ubr. In the meantime, what buffer tube, spring and buffer do I need? I've been looking at Clint's reference chart and am unsure what I need as this 18" barrel is midlength gassed. Can anyone help...

I just put a PRS on mine. You need the A1 rifle length buffer tube for the PRS. I picked up a DPMS tube on Ebay for $18 I think. Now don't take this as fact, but it is my understanding that you can use your carbine buffer and spring with the PRS if you order a small internal spacer that you put inside the rifle length buffer tube to make up the difference in the lengths between the rifle and carbine buffers, that way you're not forced to buy a second rifle length buffer, if your intention is to switch to the UBR down the road.

First you buy an A1 buffer tube.... I think I have an extra I could be persuaded to part with, if you have trouble finding one.

Second, Jgun is right, you need one of THESE.

Last part, you can use your carbine buffer and buffer spring you bought from Slash.

Saves you a lot of money, and no extra parts. <thumbsup>

Armalite Rifle Receiver Extension, $28.50.

Armalite AR10 Rifle Buffer, $17.11.

Armalite AR10 Buffer Spring (fits both rifles and carbines), $5.70.

You'll need the Rifle Receiver Extension, no matter what - a must have to run that stock.  However, I think the parts I listed above are even cheaper than Robo's Spike's Tactical suggestion...  <dontknow> <laughs> <lmao>

Armalite Rifle Receiver Extension, $28.50. You need this no matter what. If you find the A1, you don't need the A2 spacer to fit the PRS

Armalite AR10 Rifle Buffer, $17.11. 98 is right, this option is cheaper than the spacer... By about $10?!?!

Armalite AR10 Buffer Spring (fits both rifles and carbines), $5.70. You should have this already. This is the spring sold by Slash on his website

However, I think the parts I listed above are even cheaper than Robo's Spike's Tactical suggestion...  <dontknow> <laughs> <lmao>

Yeah, but then his Slash heavy buffer (that cost an ass load of $$$) sits on a shelf collecting dust. :P :thefinger: <laughs>

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to build (assemble) this gun to try and save a few bucks...boy was I wrong. In the end however, I should have exactly what I want. I have assembled 5 ar's . Out of these five, I have a 6.8 and 5.56 built up basically the same way. I wanted to have a .308 to match. I still haven't figured out the glass I'll eventually mount and I know I won't be happy with the stock trigger and that will have to be upgraded. Boy, I sure hope they don't get tired of looking at me at work anytime soon...

Rekitter  on the troy trx hanguards .....there are two different heights....cause dpm changed their upper dimensions a while back...troy had to make two types of hanguards...thats the trx extreme 13.8 we are talking bout right?.....so if i were you I would call and talk with Jeff Morgan at troy...tell him what your upper/lower set is and he will tell you which rail height you need....and I heard that they were redesigning the troy extreme too...so you may wanna ask bout that  :)    Wash

Thanks for the advice Wash. Before I order, I will make that call. What I read, says that their low profile will work with my Tactical Machining upper as the area above the charging handle is approximately 1/8". I don't have much experience with these .308 parts, but having 30 years experience as a machinist, these parts from Tactical Machining fit together and look very good. I guess the test will be when I install the lpk.

Hiya Rekitter  the sass was my first barrel on my first 308 build last year...lemme tell ya that sass was a tackdriver... you will find that the sass chamber will be super tight so dont break it in by shooting 762 milsurp ..use good 308 ammo at first to break the barrel in...then you can go to the .762 later on...also dont chamber a live round unless you intend to make it go bang cause you might not be able to unchamber the round cause of it being so tight..  headspacing is always a good thing ..lube her up real good too....the 308 is a lil more intense than the .556 or 6.8...heck you can kill somebody with just hitting em upside the head with the bcg <laughs>  Wash