• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Made a 5 rnd Pmag

I read about cutting the pmags down on Snipers Hide while doing a search for 5 round Pmags.  So this isn't entirely my idea, but I did add a couple of my own touches. 

Here's some pics to show a little more

SDC10292.jpg

Even cut down to the top rib, they hold 7 rounds.  So here's how I blocked it, with a piece of the mag cut to 1.7", and placed into the groove in the follower, and pinned in place with the spring itself.  It rattled at first, so I wrapped it in duct tape and that took care of the rattle.  It took some trial and error, but 1.7" allows only 5 rounds, and still allows use of the cover, and allows the loaded mag to be placed into the rifle with the bolt closed.  I cut 5 spring wraps off in all, it seems about right but will have to wait till my rifle's done to test fire.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad92/204AR/SDC10293.jpg

Here's the cut down mag, with the floorplate drilled and tapped for (3) 6-32 x 1/4" long hex head screws.  This worked fantastic.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad92/204AR/SDC10294.jpg

Cut down with the full sized one next to it.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad92/204AR/SDC10295.jpg

And stubby mag inserted in my rifle.  This is my 300 saum, pmags don't work in it.  I wish they did, cut down like this it's a much lighter mag than the steel dpms ones.

Not to try and rain on anybody parade, but I got to ask...

Why ruin perfectly good magazine by cutting them?  <dontknow>

When making a 5 round magazine the easier way to do it without cutting the mag body or the spring, would be to drill a hole in the back spine of the magazine where the follower goes and put a small pop rivet in it so the follower can't pass.

This way, when you decide you want a 20 round magazine back, you drill out the rivet and call it good.

Valid point I guess.  But, 4 reasons come to mind.

1. Saves some weight

2.  Full length will hit the shooting table when shooting off the bench if you're not careful.

3. Looks better IMO.  Even the image of a big-ol banana clip in the "deer woods" may turn some off.  Not that I care that much what people think, but just saying....

4. Spares take less room in the pack.  When you're hunting with a 5 round limit, I would like to carry a loaded spare or 2.

When I'm coyote hunting there is no limit, so the above doesn't apply and I'll likely carry it loaded with a 15 or 10 rounder.  Cut down but not as short.

1. Saves some weight

2.  Full length will hit the shooting table when shooting off the bench if you're not careful.

3. Looks better IMO.  Even the image of a big-ol banana clip in the "deer woods" may turn some off.  Not that I care that much what people think, but just saying....

4. Spares take less room in the pack.  When you're hunting with a 5 round limit, I would like to carry a loaded spare or 2.

When I'm coyote hunting there is no limit, so the above doesn't apply and I'll likely carry it loaded with a 15 or 10 rounder.  Cut down but not as short.

You're dead on about the mag length being a problem on the shooting bench. I guess to be fair you're dead on about the other points too, but the bench one is the primary one that applies to me.  <thumbsup>

1. Saves some weight

I agree on all points and that is why I like them.  8)

1. Saves some weight It's already PLASTIC

2.  Full length will hit the shooting table when shooting off the bench if you're not careful. Use a better bi-pod or higher bag

3. Looks better IMO.  Even the image of a big-ol banana clip in the "deer woods" may turn some off.  Not that I care that much what people think, but just saying.... go with a company that makes a true 5 round, 10 round, even 15 round mag

4. Spares take less room in the pack.  When you're hunting with a 5 round limit, I would like to carry a loaded spare or 2.same as 3... go with a company that already make a true 5 round mag

So far to me, none are actual valid points. I understand personal opinion, but really?

Wasting more time and energy trying to reinvent the wheel here folks.

So far to me, none are actual valid points. I understand personal opinion, but really?  Well, to me they are valid points, so I'm glad I didn't ask you first, lol.  For 20 bucks I got a better, lighter 5 rounder than any others available.

Wasting more time and energy trying to reinvent the wheel here folks.  It wasn't your time, or your energy.  Why bother responding in this manner if your time and energy are so precious?

Look, I didn't come here to argue with the "any one elses ideas are stupid" crowd.  Just thought I'd post a little show-n-tell.  Take what you want from it...  ;D

• 1 year later...

Looks like I'll be cutting down a couple Pmags, I hunt with mine in CO.  A 5 rd max is needed, I have the DPMS 4 rd, which I modded to 5 rd.  They do work, but are a bit much weight wise.

Plus, I have enough 20 rd Pmags to take a bath in ^-^

Thanks for the how to post.

Edited by DVCER

• 2 months later...