• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lookin for a reliable 308

Kicknazz

Hey yall I'm new to the form and wanted to start off with I chose this form because as far as I can see its the most un-bias forum I could find.

I'm relatively new to the gun market, never owned a gun nor had guns in the house as a kid. I've shot multiple kinds of guns tho, ar's m4's 30-30's n such, but never really got down to any accurate shooting. I did notice tho when I shoot m4's ar 15s I feel like I'm shooting a pee shooter so that's why Ive chosen to buy a 308 as my first rifle.

In short I'm looking for a rifle that's accurate and can shoot long range and is reliable in all conditions, seeing as how I live in the state of the rain. Going for a semi auto cauze in this day n age it shoots almost as accurate as a bolt action so why not semi auto? I believe in the saying you get what you pay for so I have no interest in cheap guns.

My price range atm is between 2-3 optics and upgrades dont have to come with it right now. suppressor possible would be nice for S n gigs. Good possibility I'll be hunting with it, weight to me isnt a big issue, but I do need it to be resilient - I live in Washington where we take the name of our state literally - so if mud gets on it and god for bid in it, it will still fire with out issue. And if any of you live up in the Washington area and think you can build me a better gun for that price I'm all ears.

And off topic that dreadnaught project looks pretty intense. :o

Thanks for all the help in advance

Jake

A DPMS LR 308 a 22" barrel. I have a DPMS LR 308B with an 18" barrel that is good for up to 800 yards for great accuracy. I added a Magpull PRS stock, palm rest grip, hydraulic buffer, Harris bipod and a B&T industries monopod. The scope is Accushot but I would recommend a good Redfield. They make great scopes for a reasonable amount. I will be adding a Geissele DMR 2 stage trigger next. DPMS makes a NATO REPR that just might be what you’re looking for or do what I did and got one that was basic and customized it as I went. I hope this helped. ;D

You mention maybe for hunting too and you live in Washington. One of the first things in this case i would consider is weight. The 308 AR platform can get heavy pretty fast if you don't pay attention to that. You should really consider barrel length very carefully because if you field your rifle the weight becomes a major issue out there. I dunno, just sayin' because I think I might

understand your motives, or not  <dontknow>

Edit: Perhaps you may consider building your own? This is a great place to fend for AR parts and they are in Washington. Maybe you know of them... Check out the Rainier Arms Ultra Match Barrels too, and the MEGA ARMS receiver sets which they carry, top shelf  <thumbsup>

http://www.rainierarms.com/

Hi Kick  Welcome to the forum!  Two words.....build it!

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can build yourself one fine and I do mean fine rifle,and come in within your budget and also have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself. one other thing...just cause you lay out the cash for a mfg built rifle doesnt mean that when you open the box and take it out to go shoot it that its gonna be perfect and trouble free either!

So lets start ordering parts...oh a 16" barrel will do you fine...no need for a 20" to 26" bull barrel that you need a front end loader to pick it up. Rainier Arms is your friend up there <thumbsup> ask for Aristotle...he's a good  sales guy.  so lets hear back if you wanna build and we will get you started <thumbsup> Wash

First off let me state that I only have experience with the LWRC and you know what they say about opinions so for what it's worth this is my top 14 list.

LaRue OBR

LWRC REPR

LMT

JP LRP-07

NOVESKE

GAP 10

POF

Les Baer

HOGAN

ARMALITE AR-10 SASS

PWS MK216

DPMS  REPR

DPMS  SASS

ROCK RIVER ARMS

Some of these are gas piston operated which run cleaner,cooler & more reliable(IMO)but add weight. Do your research,some of these may have very long wait times!! The guys on here know there shite so ask away <thumbsup>

Couple questions, if I build it will I be assembling the gun myself?

And I was looking at the armalight sass is there any reason why they only guarantee  1 Moa vs. all the other sass's that guarantee .5 Moa?

I'm extremely interested  in building it myself from the ground up.

Thanks again for all the help

Jake

If you build it yourself yes you are assembling yourself, and that essentially is what it is, assembling. And it's not really hard. This approach affords you many options for a custom build to your liking. In fact you can build your lower yourself and if you like you can purchase an entire upper to mate up with the lower you build. Many people take this approach, but probably most of us here who built our own did build the upper themselves, I think anyway.

If you do build your own there are a few special tool you would need to aquire. A torque wrench, a barrel nut wrench which fits onto torque wrench, an upper vise block, a lower vise block, a vise is necessary. we can help you all the way and inform you on the best places to get these things. JSE surplus is a good place to get the vise blocks and barrel nut wrench, but when you know which hand barrel nut you will end up using then we can let you know which barrel nut wrench you will need. It is not as hard as it may seem and it is fun. I hope you decide to build yourself. Guys here know the tricks too  <thumbsup>

And another thing, if you do build there are few different ways to go. One way is do a build based on the Armalite AR-10 rifle. The other way is based on the DPMS type LR-308. There are some key parts like bolt carrier that can't be used both ways but you will learn all about that here so no worry.

Couple questions, if I build it will I be assembling the gun myself? YES

And I was looking at the armalight sass is there any reason why they only guarantee  1 Moa vs. all the other sass's that guarantee .5 Moa? All guns aren't created equal,very few guarantee .5" moa,the average shooter can't hold .5" so 1moa is usually good enough. The LaRue , JP & Les Baer are known to be tack drivers.

Jake

Couple questions, if I build it will I be assembling the gun myself?

And I was looking at the armalight sass is there any reason why they only guarantee  1 Moa vs. all the other sass's that guarantee .5 Moa?

Jake

Hi Kick  You will be assembling the gun. Yuo will have the upper/ lower set. The lower is whats cosidered the weapon and thats what is nic ed'. Me....im partial to the Mega Ma10....its a billet upper/lower second to none. It comes with a charging handle and some detents already installed. You will need a dpms bear claw to hold the upper in a vise,a punch kit, a barrel wrench(depends on type of barrel)...a barrel...I like Rainier arms stuff...i use their select 18" have two...and my newest the 16" fire breathing select...havnt had the 16" to an out door range yet.but the 18" select shoots sub moa out to 500 yds. you need a bcg ,a good muzzle break,good trigger, a car milspec stock ...I have six magpul acs stocks...so I kinda like those.... ar15/308 lower parts kit.  308 bolt catch...mil spec buffer tube spring and  308 car buffer...and  some  kinda optic...did I leave anything out?

oh crap you need a freefloat handguard (rail)  I like the trx extreme battlerail...apex has a nice one too....all this is just my clone build....done a total of five now....everyone of them went bang the first time and never an fte or ftf...and everyone of them will hit a 6" steel square at 500 ..well the 16" will get tested this saturday....build time? First time build maybe a Saturday if that....look my name up in search  and you will see the mega build pics <thumbsup>Wash

Yes, Jake, the MEGA MATEN (MAH-TEN) as Wash points out is top shelf!!! But darn it I just checked Rainier and they sold out now. A member here is Branson1639, he does MEGA Arms group buy and you can get a great deal thru him on the MATEN that way. Here is his thread on this site regarding the group buy http://308ar.com/forum/for-sale-or-trade/considering-a-mega-machine-ar-and-ma-ten-group-buy-offering/

But anyway just keep asking questions and we will answer. Explore this website because there are great threads from guys who documented their builds here, and real good parts lists they used.

First off let me state that I only have experience with the LWRC and you know what they say about opinions so for what it's worth this is my top 14 list.

LaRue OBR

LWRC REPR

LMT

JP LRP-07

NOVESKE

GAP 10

POF

Les Baer

HOGAN

ARMALITE AR-10 SASS

PWS MK216

DPMS  REPR

DPMS  SASS

ROCK RIVER ARMS

Some of these are gas piston operated which run cleaner,cooler & more reliable(IMO)but add weight. Do your research,some of these may have very long wait times!! The guys on here know there shite so ask away <thumbsup>

Hey Blksheep  Dadgum...you forgot the number one

cmmg <laughs>  Wash