• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Son shipped out today

392heminut

Wild horses couldn't keep me away from his graduation! I can't wait to see the new improved version of Josh! Won't be my first though, I went to my older son's graduation at MCRD back in '96 also. He's now a Border Patrol Agent.

As for Helldorado Days, I am really hoping to make it. If I do, the only gun I'll probably have with me will be my carry gun, as I'll probably be on the bike. You get funny looks from folks if you try packing a lot of rifles on a motorcycle! <laughs>

Woo Hoo!!!  Congrats to that young man!!!

He's about to embark on a 13-wk ass-whoopin', too - he probably knows that already...  ;D <thumbsup>

He knew all about what he was getting into Tom, his brother and a few others around here filled him in. Didn't deter him one bit. He has always loved a challenge and as a 14 year wrestler (4 yrs. old through high school) he's had a lot of them. His Junior year he broke his thumb in football practice and 3 weeks later had the docter and the coach talked into letting him play with a cast on. That's just the way he's always been. He's also VERY motivated to do better than his older brother did in basic.

That's a motivated kid, right there.  I can't even tell you how that kind of motivation pushed me through all my stuff - no one was ever gonna outperform me, with all other things being equal.

That only comes from inside - intestinal fortitude.  That's one badass, admirable quality.  I want to meet this kid, one day.  When he's on leave, bring him with, brother.  <thumbsup>

Be proud.  :happydrunks:

• 2 weeks later...

We've gotten a couple of letters since he left. He made squad leader right off the bat, and said so far he has outlasted the first squad leaders on all the other squads.

He told me something just before he left that struck me as somewhat profound coming from a 20 year old. Nothing to do with him going to bootcamp, but it did impress me. He said "Friends are like change, I would rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies." I still can't get that out of my mind.

He said "Friends are like change, I would rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies." I still can't get that out of my mind.

He's already figured out most of life, brother, with that one.  <thumbsup>

I'm proud of him in a father-son way, and I've never met him.  That's a good kid. 

I've had some practice, I raised a daughter and 4 stepkids before this one. Now I'm raising 2 granddaughters that we've had for almost 7 years now because their dad (one of my stepsons) is apparently incapable of manning up and taking care of his family! All of my kids have turned out great except for that one, go figure! <dontknow>

Your doing great brother,first son-in-law left his family after making 4 kids.Decided he would rather drive a truck.One of my grandkids is autisic and in remission from lukemia.Raised them for some time daughter just got married to a nice guy a few mounths ago,so that gave us a little break.They don't have 2 nickels to rub together so we help the best we can.No one took after me so it's all good. :)

Tom, just got another letter from him. He said he's still squad leader and they have their first drill competition in a week. He's hoping to help lead the platoon to their first platoon trophy! <thumbsup>

Awesome update!  <thumbsup> :happydrunks:

Got an update today. He had his wisdom teeth pulled on the 28th, which he said sucked big time. He's still squad leader and he won the pugil stick competition! He's only 5' 6" and was 167 lbs when he left, but he is a New Mexico 135 lb. state wrestling champion so I figured he would do good with that stuff. He said he can blow through the obstacle course with no problem too.