• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M1903-A4... Couldn't help myself

98Z5V

A guy gets ahold of me and says he has to get rid of this M1903-A4 sniper rifle.  He needed the money, and wasn't shooting it hardly at all. 

I felt bad for him, and I honestly couldn't help myself, with what he was asking for it.  Got this with a decent scope and rings on it, already zeroed, action bedded, match barrel - and it was ridiculously cheap.  He threw in all the .30-06 brass he had, a set of Lee dies for it, the reproduction manual, the leather sling, and the reproduction scope and mount.  Stupid cheap.

It might get shot this Sunday, I'll have to see...  <thumbsup>

post-71-136297281848_thumb.jpg

Yes, beutiful stock, gun looks pristine. Do you know if that is the normal way 1903 barrels are configured? as far a length, and not having any type of muzzle device, or is it like that because it's a sniper variant?

Normal for the A4's not to have a sight on front . No 1903 configuration came with a muzzle device.

Nice score ,98 !

post-154-136297281876_thumb.jpg

Did NOT get to shoot the rifle this Sunday - thought I'd get to, but just too busy.  Taught another Appleseed Shoot, and we usually shoot an "Instructor Shoot" at the end, but it ran long, and clean-up took awhile.  It was with me, though, and I've been cleaning the drool off it ever since.

Here's the real deal on the rifle I picked up - it's not a war-torn original Springfield... no way in hell could I have (both) afforded that, (and) the seller could have sold that.  :o  It's the Gibb's Rifle Company reproduction rifle.  Exact in almost every way, minus the collector costs nowadays.  Check the vid:

survivalshop,

That M1 looks to be in perfect condition. Care to share a little history on that one?

According to the serial # , she was born in December of 1943 @ Springfield Armory, was arsenal refinished for Korea & sent back to the USA for resale . I have had her for over twenty years  , I was a FFL dealer & bought about a doz. of them for $ 269.95 ea. <thumbsup>

I have had my 03 for more years then the M1 & have not shot her yet  <dontknow>

I have had my 03 for more years then the M1 & have not shot her yet  <dontknow>

You're gonna LOVE IT!!!  I got out today and shot mine.  Wanted to get that done Sunday, but just didn't have the time.  Today was the day.

For a .30 cal rifle that design-wise going back to WWII, I wasn't prepared for how great this rifle was.  Th previous owner claimed he sighted it in, but I don't know at what range - I shot it at 50 yards first, and it was low and right.  Went 4 left and 4 up on the scope, and I was half-way there.  Posted a target at 100, shot low right again.  Went left 5 and up 5 and came up with this one - shooting Federal 150gr softpoint hunting loads, cheapest I could find.  Should have done the 180gr shoftpoint hunting loads, which were available then, but I just wanted to shoot it cheap.  Here's the target, 100 yards, 5 shots, Fed 150gr soft-points:

100_0526_zps8aea4689.jpg

100_0527_zpsfe3bccd6.jpg

Thoroughly, completely, undoubtedly impressed with this rifle.  <thumbsup>

• 2 months later...