• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

i have never been hunting...

blwn99x

just as the title says, i have never been on a hunt. i have killed a couple animals in my life(with bb-gun as a kid, and a mercy killing on a hit n run neighborhood cat). i want to try it with my 308ar. i do live in florida and hogs are pretty popular here. what would yall recommend. all input is appreciated.

just as the title says, i have never been on a hunt. i have killed a couple animals in my life(with bb-gun as a kid, and a mercy killing on a hit n run neighborhood cat). i want to try it with my 308ar. i do live in florida and hogs are pretty popular here. what would yall recommend. all input is appreciated.

Hi Blwn    If it were me ..first off get a hunting license with the reg book....then I would buy a guided hog hunt there is not a thing wrong with a guided hunt...and

I sure as heck would not start my hunting career on public hunting lands granted by the state....thats asking for trouble.Im sure there are plenty of outfitters in your area that can fix you up.....good luck and keep me informed...okay? :)  Wash

I would agree with the above but ONLY if you can not find someone who would take you out and show you the ropes... Guided hunts are just that Guided and what you end up doing is just the killing part you do not learn how to hunt, the guide wants you to be successful and therefore will get you a kill as fast as possible. Hogs are a nuisance animal and most states want you to kill as many as possible.. but read the state regulations first... Hunting is NOT about killing it is about food and feeding your family or friends but if you are not going to eat it why kill it? Hunting can be a very rewarding experience when you do it yourself you plan the hunt do your scouting, take the time to know your rifle and it's capabilities and practice with it all these things lead to the end part the kill well sir the food never tasted better than when you do it yourself....

In closing if you want to know what hunting is about don't watch the many TV shows they are about killing and about the biggest horns or size etc. as far as I am concerned they do way more harm than good.. of course all of this is just my opinion based on over 40 years of hunting to feed my family...

Excellent advice above, all of it.  <thumbsup>

The hogs down there can get pretty big.  Barnes 168gr TSX is what I'd recommend.  ;D

That round will take out absolutely everything in N. America! Those all copper bullets are a bit more expensive, but they have great weight retention and expansion. Nosler's are a good fall back, but they tend to break up (soft lead core) if they hit something too big/tough.

The cost of a bullet  on a hunt is negligable in relation to the rest  of the costs. 

Hell, the bullet could cost $10 each, and the average hunter wouldn't shoot enough to make the cost signafficant given the rest of the costs.

Thats one of the reasons that I personally think that the best is just barely good enough,

Respectfully

Terry