• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lar 308 Predator HP ammo question

12ptdroptine

Ok Back from Alaska and setting up my predator Hp. What are you guys finding off the shelf for accuracy? I hav a handfull of assorted ammo. But I am sure there is one that stands above for most. And what kind of groups are you getting at 100---200---300---yds?  got the scope( Leupold 3.5 X 10 VXIII) mounted up the other night . Have to boresite it yet . Gonna try to get it out to the range next weekend for a few rounds to settle it in.

Thanks Drop

• 1 month later...

Well it didn't like the American eagle or the Winchester 150grn ...both. So after being advised I took a chance on federal gold match 168gr smkbthp.... Hope this works. A few ppl say this is the industry standard for testing accuracy. Hope so. I have 5boxes on hold till I can go get them....and 10ordered mail order. Ahe American eagle was better than the Winchester...about 2inches at 100yds. The Winchester was closer to 3inches at 100yds. Gotta drive 5hrs round trip to go get 5boxes on sat...dial this thing in for a early jan hog hunt. Wish me luck. I am sure this ammo will shoot. Might even order a couple hundred more rounds... Drop

Well it didn't like the American eagle or the Winchester 150grn ...both. So after being advised I took a chance on federal gold match 168gr smkbthp.... Hope this works. A few ppl say this is the industry standard for testing accuracy. Hope so. I have 5boxes on hold till I can go get them....and 10ordered mail order. Ahe American eagle was better than the Winchester...about 2inches at 100yds. The Winchester was closer to 3inches at 100yds. Gotta drive 5hrs round trip to go get 5boxes on sat...dial this thing in for a early jan hog hunt. Wish me luck. I am sure this ammo will shoot. Might even order a couple hundred more rounds... Drop

Gold Medal Match is indeed the gold standard. When I first started shooting, I was getting errant results as to whom/what was responsible for my inconsistent shot placement. I quit buying cheapo ammo @ Walmart and started buying FGMM, and I eliminated the ammo entirely from the equation. Now I'm shooting much better, and starting to experiment with different match ammunition from various manufacturers.

I don't have a Predator but both of my Operators (16" and a 20") seem to prefer heavier bullet weights.

Not shooting for groups, the 147gr and 150gr also require a different POA to hit the same spots that the 175gr and 189gr bullets are impacting.

Getting ready to do a heavy bullet showdown, reloading pills from 190gr up to 210gr, all the same brass and primers so it will be an even playing field.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Just got 3 boxes of 165 of the BTSP. specs and  the tech at Sierra say they shoot very close to eachother. Taking it on a Hog Hunt in Texas in about 3 weeks. was concerned about expansion on the hollow points. Called Sierra  and the tech told me they were never designed for hunting applications. Knew that but bought 600 anyway. Tech said they had reports of everything from fantastic to dismal failures with the HP hunting. I know shot placement is crucial and always has been in my book. So off to the range next weekend to finish dialing it in. Went to the country with it Thursday night to try out my new Varmint light.. VRL 1.... and a Leupold 4x12 firedot <thumbsup> <thumbsup> <thumbsup> I could make out the treeline at 200 yds... Would not hesitate to take a shot on a yote at 100 yds. I think even 150 would be acceptable ... hear some say 200 is doable. But not sure yet for myself. Thinking If I may ...go to the range during Christmas break at night ... and try some shots at 50...100... and maybe 200 yds...This would tell the tale

Drop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well... I took the old girl down to Texas on a wild hog hunt. I used the 165 http. And Anchored one in its. Tracks at 30 yds. Yeah I know 30yds. She dropped right there. Hit the back the left front shoulder. Clear through both shoulders and took out both lungs..likes I said she dropped in her tracks... Big old sow...weighed 240lbs. Love that federal ammo <thumbsup>

• 9 months later...

Hornady match 308 with the 168gr Amax bullet shoots 5-shot, 100 yard groups around .6 inches, as in one enlarged hole at 100 yards from a benchrest setup and my Predator HP. I have not shot it on a longer range.

Hoot

I was getting similar results with the Hornady ZombieMax, which are essentially the same projectiles/brass in a different box. I had a 3-shot group at less than 0.4" and consistent 5-shot groups between 0.6"-to-0.8" with a RRA 20" Predator Upper and a Meopta 4-12x50 scope.

• 3 months later...

Best I have found so far off the shelf  for my LAR-8 26" is Winchester 168gr silver tips, puts 5 rounds into .5 moa every time. I have found that anything with a tangent ogive shoots great, typically under .75 moa. For hunting the old nosler partition 180gr in federal premium is a ripper but still very accurate. In fact during the ammo shortage last summer I used factory hunting ammo with this bullet to shoot a precision steel match out to 650-700 yrds. Everybody thought it was a giggle until I nailed the opening cold bore shot , 375yards on a three inch disk. 

Edited by Libertarian623