• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pistolas. Black Pistolas.

98Z5V

Not "Black Rifles."

I started a pistol build a hell of a long time ago, and it never went anywhere.  I actually built it, fired and sighted it, and the damn thing was never a priority - it kept getting ripped apart, and the parts used for other builds.  Here was the original thread:

http://308ar.com/forum/black-rifles/the-sbr-process-begins/

Well, the 11.5" was finally built and complete, and I just never mentioned it.  After recent conversations here on the board, and my strong desire to corrupt my LEO brother Rob, I said I'd build another pistola - a 7.5".  That one is done now, too.  In time to compare the differences in total length when firing from a vehicle, during the Oct Range Fest 2012, down here in the Great SouthWest.  ;D

I present you with Dos Pistolas...

pistolas.jpg

They look good bro,and since pistola no tax? What is with the different buffer tube? How do they shoot? <dontknow>

Yep, you have to have a buttstock on there to make it a rifle, and since it's a pistol, technically, it doesn't need a tax stamp even though it's got a short barrel.  Pistol barrel length is not regulated.

That buffer tube is a pistol-specific tube.  It's slightly larger in diameter, and will not accept a buttstock.  Kind of a "safety item" on a pistol build, so it's not even possible for someone else to imply that you could quickly change it into an illegal SBR by slapping on a stock.

One word of caution Two words of caution on pistol builds:

1) They MUST be built/assembled from a lower receiver that has NEVER been built/assembled as a rifle...  If it's built initially as a rifle, then it's ALWAYS a rifle, in the eyes of the BATFE.  If it's assembled as a pistol, on a virgin lower, it can be converted to a rifle at a later date.  If it started as a pistol initially, then converted to a rifle later, it can be reconverted back to a pistol again.   

2) They're a metric poop-ton of fun to shoot.  <laughs>

EDIT - Please not that this post is not legal advice to any individual in any specific state, in any way.  Check with your state, county, city, and regional LEOs and consult your own firearms laws in your area...     <thumbsup>

These will both get SBRd in the future - if we have a firearms ownership future, that is.  I've been putting off getting my trust together for a very long time.

Specs on these two:

Both are Aero Precision lowers, sequential serial numbers, and SAA stripped uppers.  Both running RRA pistol receiver extensions with Armalite CAR spings and LMT H buffers.  Lower parts kits consist of KNS Precision turned lower parts kits (precision ground pins and bits) with all Armalite springs, and ALG ACT triggers.  Standard safeties right now, but they'll be BAD-ASS safeties by the time the guys get here. Both have BCM BCGs, and BCM Gunfighter large-latch charging handles, and YHM lo-pro gas blocks. 

The differences:

The 11.5" barrel is a BCM "standard" barrel, running carbine gas, Magpul Gen 1 MBUS sights, Midwest Industries T-10 rail, and an A2 flash hider.

The 7.5" is an American Spirit Arms heavy barrel, running pistol gas, Magpul Gen 2 MBUS sights, Noveske KX-3 muzzle device, and I had a spare Midwest Industries SS-10 freefloat setup that I couldn't really put on anything, previously.  I cut it down to clear the end of the Pig, and left some of the top rail longer, to get the front sight out there further (increase sight radius). 

That's about it for them.  <thumbsup>

In '77 or 78, I  had a retail  gun shop in Calif.

Built a guy a handgun Metalic Sillouett unlimited gun using a short Sako  auction.  15" bbl, walnut stock, williams ramp front,globe front sight, and a Lyman peep rear sight.

Regestered the whole thing as a handgun.......  Never heard a word from the State boys.LOL!!!

Over the years, I'v replaced the bbl three times as he wore them out.LOL!!!

He still shoos it every three or four months, at a local club shoot.

Want a sbr?  just build a handgun!

Respectfully

Terry

What is the OAL of that 7.5"? I'm thinking of begging and selling my self to get my CoP to put a SBR on my motor.

I have a new trick up my sleeve, that I won't disclose until you get here.  It's pretty slick.  It'll help you put that 7.5" almost in your pocket...  <munch>

It'll DEFINITELY fit into a motor side saddlebag, brother.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Rob!!!  ;D  I fixed that 7.5 w/ PIG for ya, brother!  <thumbsup>

There's ONE more thing to add to both these pistols, and they're complete - that part is a surprise, and it should ship on Monday the 15th...  I hope it does...  :o

FixedPistol.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I do like that beast.  It's painful to shoot, due to concussion, with just an A2 on there.  It's almost pleasant to shoot with the Pig, throwing everything straight forward (unless you'd get in front of it, somehow - I want it loud and blasty for that dude...  <lmao>).