• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

To Lap Or Not To Lap?

What got me asking about it was thinking about scopes that had been mounted then removed from the rings.  Often times the wear is uneven on the marks.

And it doesn't seem to matter (from what I've seen) if they are twist in rings or mount straight to a rail.

How much benefit the lapping affords is what I'm trying to find out.

Jon

ss said it.  I've had or seen too many lemons in my life with various purchases that i will lap any new set of rings (or mount) that i buy or am going to use.  I buy a lot of computer parts, and quality control even with great companies will miss one of something every now and then with mass-produced products.  If they're hand made, I usually cant afford them, so I'll always have the lemon-potential.  It's too easy to do, too low of a risk if you pay attention.  The time it's going to take me to guarantee the rings wild hold firm, be true to the scope, and not have a potential for any damage no matter how slight is far worth it.  My 2 pennies.....

Russ

Read my lips...

TARGET PICTURES!

<laughs> <lmao> <munch> :P

That picture of your scope is nice, don't get me wrong, but if you mention your inbound optic in excess of 3 times, you are obliged to post target pics when said optic has been sighted in...

I hope this is in no way an inconvenience...  ;D

Did the lapping yesterday.

Have to say, the GG&G mount required minimal lapping...close to zip.  What could be felt easily with my fingers came off with just a few minutes of lapping.

I marked the ring-tops to the bottoms, then got going.  What little disruptions in the smoothocity (technical term I just coined) there were in the surface of the rings was so easily removed with 220 grit compound, that I believe they were more a part of the anodizing than the machining process.  In fact, there isn't even any bare metal.

I'm now going to do all my rings, now that I have the kit.

If any of you here in AZ need to use it, let me know.

Jon