• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Which/best Flip up sights???? HELP

Hi all,  new Armalite AR10 owner.  I just bought a new AR-10A4CF <thumbsup>.  I have been doing a lot of research on which brand, finally chose the Armalite.  One thing I am having trouble finding is which Flip up/Back up sights are best or recommended for the Armalite AR10 flat tops w/o front sight.  My Gas black also has the picatinny rail. Armalite sells the MI flip ups, but they are expensive and I think I may be able to get them cheaper thru the "A" site or The "EB" sight. Armalite has their own model/stock number on them so it is hard to shop around for the right sights.  I was also looking at the Troy industries sights- but again, not sure which model/type to use on my AR10. 

Another question- I thought I saw somewhere a picture of a Magpul Polymer handguard on a AR10. I cant seem to find any info. on it.  I do like the looks of it and would like to put one on my AR10- Any thoughts?????

Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!

Don

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buis ( back up iron sights ) aren't ar15-ar10 specific.  These flip up style sights are sighted in the same for each platform, so don't drive yourself crazy looking for ar10 specific sights. The only thing that may be different concerns the front sight and whether or not its mounted on the forearm or gas block. Gas block mounted sights are specific for their height, unless you have a high gas bloock that matches the forearm rail height. Hope this helps

Btw, I prefer Troy hk style myself.

Thanks Guys!!!!  OK, sooooooooooooo -my AR10 is at the station (can't check it now). Guess I better check the height of the Gas Block????? or doesn't it matter?  <dontknow> Some tool told me I could not use the Magpul sights because the Gas Block will melt them-True?????? <dontknow>  Please excuse my ignorance. :-[  I have been issued a Colt M4 with Carry Handle and A2 sights for years. I bought the AR10 cause I wanted more stopping power.  Looking to you guys to grab my hand and guide me in the right direction.  Thanks again for being patient.

OBTW- I will be buying a EoTech for it soon- well hopefully soon

Welcome from Indiana brother SGT45 and THANKS for you'r service <thumbsup>.If the rails are on the same plane Magpul is a damn good product.If you have a railed gas block which is a little lower one of the guys found an adapter that would make rail same plane for Magpul to work.Just my 2 mags.

Hey Unforgiven,  Checked my AR10 today.  The railed Gas block "is not" in the same plane- it is lower.  Any idea what the adapter is?  Any idea of which BUIS set I should get???  Thanks for any and all help.

Forget the adapter brother SGT. and get the flip that goes on a railed gas block whch will be a little taller than same plane.Lots of different companies make them and they will say for gas block.Just depends on how much you want to spend. http://www.nextag.com/gas-block-sight/stores-html#!  This will give you an idea brother.Then there is Brownell's who is a sponser here.

im,  Yes on the handguard.  Will they fit the AR10???  Reason I ask is they don't list AR10 on there.  Not sure which sights I want to go with-The Troy Ind. or MI.  It appears as though the Troy sights get the best votes.  I can get either on Amazon, save a little money, and put them on my account.  Thanks for your help

Hey Guys,

Received my Troy Ind. sights today.  I bought the flip up H&K style front sight for mounting on the lower gas block and the flip up rear sight. I won't get out to shoot for a while, but I'll let ya know how it goes mounting them on. I also ordered the Limbsaver pad for the collapsible stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  Now I am really not happy.  Started to clean my AR 10 for the barrel break in.  We were cleaning her at the station last night.  While in the process, I discovered at large amount of rust around the chamber area where the bolt locks up.  I had a lot of trouble removing it and not sure I got it all.  When I went home I did a google search and found that there have been similar problems (see picture grabbed from AR15.com).  The picture is similar to my problem.  I am pretty concerned now.  I sent a email to Armalite and plan on calling them on Monday.  I haven't even shot her yet!!!!!!!!  She was BNIB from a LGS.  I am not happy!!!!!!!!!

IMG_6364Medium.jpg

with out knowing the story behind it, I would say the dealer needs to invest into a dehumidifier. I know it didnt leave the factory looking like that.

As for front sights, I run this Dimond Head on my AR-10 carbine and like it a lot...

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=1651&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=eb0b86bb-8d91-424c-8fe6-3aef9d5d6653