• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fallout 10 build- HELP!

branman530

Hmmm.. I didn't know about these gaps.. I'm using the moe + grip that's rubberized, so the top tabs aren't a rigid plastic, they're pretty soft so they seem to contour the receiver pretty well (complete luck). About the spring, I removed the screw in the receiver and put the spring and pin through the bottom and installed the grip with no problems. Should I take the grip off and trim the spring and reinstall the set screw? I can't see any gaps but I don't want to take any chances..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha. I should have read it a little better, haha. The moe + grip feels awesome. I was worried about fitting issues on the 308 receiver but it seems to fit perfect. Can't wait for the rest of the parts to arrive! With the JP barrel kit that includes the "headspaced bolt" should I not worry about double checking the headspace when I install the barrel?

Update: the barrel came in today and it is gorgeous... cant wait to shoot it! Also, I've been in touch with a guy named Brennan at firearms4less who has been helping me locate some hard to find black rain parts. They had a .308 black rain handguard that i decided to go with over the daniel defense... (probably a bad choice), but i like the way the BRO's look... It looks like i'll be in the market for a barrel nut, does anyone have any suggestions? It'll be a free-float handguard, so i didn't know if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help guys!

Hey guys, I got the 9" black rain ff hand guard in the mail today and it wasn't what I thought. It was supposed to be the quad rail, but it turns out it's the different model, which is basically like an aluminum tube with a top rail and rail inserts that can be added along the bottom/side slots (made by Samson). I was wanting something like a Daniel Defense 7.62 lite rail, but it looks like after some digging that there are two different "profiles" of receiver. I have the low profile and it looks like the options are pretty limited as to quad rails. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate it!

...but it looks like after some digging that there are two different "profiles" of receiver. I have the low profile and it looks like the options are pretty limited as to quad rails.

I'm confused, dude.  Is Black Rain doing something stupid, following in the footsteps of DPMS here?  I think you need to call them and see what's going on.  You do have their upper, correct?

True. I'd love to have one of their quad rails for the .308, but it looks like they're non-existent (other than on their website). I emailed BRO to ask if the ar-15 quad rail would work (they're pretty easy to find) but the question wasn't answered and i was referred to Brennan at Firearms4less.com (who has been really helpful). Unfortunately though, it looks like Black Rain is severely "light" on their .308 line of parts and i'm stuck compromising on a $3,000 rifle. I could have my ideal rifle, but only in a .223 (and for $1,300 less)... But hey, hopefully the buyers remorse will go away once i get to shoot it! Also, it looks like the shipment of BRO bolt carrier groups will be coming in within the next few weeks, so i should be able to head out to the range (weather permitting) sometime around Christmas/New Years. :)

It may be me being misinformed. Black Rain says that the receiver sets are DPMS style, so i assumed that they had different profile (old "high profile" and newer "low profile") top rails. I measured the area above the charging handle (1/8th inch) which, according to the article i read, makes this a low profile receiver. Hopefully I am just reading this wrong or reading too much into it, but this has proven difficult in ordering a handguard that lines up with the upper receiver.

To answer your questions: I have a black rain ordnance fallout 10 receiver set.

I ordered what i thought was a black rain quadrail handguard for the .308- http://www.marksarmory.com/Black_Rain_Ordnance_BRO_Quad_Rail_p/bro-ffr-m-blk.htm

I received an "evolution rail" http://www.marksarmory.com/Black_Rain_Ordnance_BRO_Evolution_Rail_Midlength_p/bro-sam-m-blk-223.htm

I'm not crazy about this rail and i would, ideally, like a Daniel Defense 7.62 lite rail. But when i read a review, it said that it would not align with a new style DPMS receiver height. Hopefully i'm just reading too far into this and i can send back the evolution rail and install a DD rail. Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

That first rail you linked is indeed an AR-15 part, not a .308 AR part.  Doesn't matter what you received in error, because you ordered an AR-15 part to begin with.  Black Rain does make a .308 AR rail that will fit their receivers.  Many people make rails that will fit their receivers. 

You should probably start with Mark's Armory, and see if they even have the .308 AR BRO rails.  Phone call to them would probably clear it all up, and get a return authorized.  Where to go from there depends on what they tell you.

I realize that. I ordered the part via email from Brennan at firearms4less, that he said was a BRO 308 quad rail. I received the evolution rail. They do make a 308 quad rail but I've never seen one other than on their website.

Just look for any rail that mates up with the newer style DPMS flat-top .308 upper, and you'll be set.  Daniel Defense does make the LITE in that configuration.  Troy also makes rails for it.  You'd be very, very hard-pressed to find a better, stronger rail system than the DD LITE setup anyway.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, It looks like my project is indefinitely put on hold due to the Bolt Carrier Group availability. I was told (before the Newtown tradgedy) i was on the waiting list for a black rain 308 BCG that it would be shipped out around Christmas. I emailed the website (firearms4less) and it looks like all parts are backordered until further notice. I went ahead and purchased a JP enterprises BCG as a backup until the BRO shipped, but i was just emailed by JP and these are on backorder with no estimated ETA as well. UGH! It looks like i'll never get this project done.... Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, despite being on the waiting list, the place I ordered the BCG from (firearms4less) actually got 2 Black Rain bolt carriers in stock but put them on gunbroker to auction them off... Are you ready for this... I made him an offer over the phone and bought one for $1,000. Good Lord.

It turned out to be a good decision, even though it hurt.. because after watching the auction for the second BCG, it went for nearly $1,400... These prices are outrageous. The good news is that i'm almost done with the build and it looks like (from watching the news) Obama's hammer will drop sometime this week on us...

MOLON LABE!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...