• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR pistol muzzle device Q's

soofley

oh haroo fellas!

i decided to put me together an AR pistol. i'm stuck between two muzzle device though. Noveske Pigsnout KX3 versus Battlecomp.

If i go with battlecomp, would my pistol be quite louder?

ar pistol will be 10.5"

if i can choose one i will go with battlecomp because i absolutely love them. not really a big pigsnout fan. 

Felt concussion on a short barrel can be pretty heinous.  On my 11.5", to me as the shooter, it feels no different than a 14.5" carbine.  the 7.5" is a complertely different story.  I started it with a standard A2, just to shoot it, and it damn near rattled my teeth - the concussion was BAD.  I decided to not dick around with a bunch of different devices, and just put the KX3 (pig) on there right away.  I feel no concussion now - just like shooting any of the other ones, now.  The biggest advantage - people next to me don't get blasted out.  <thumbsup>

Mike has a shorty, too -  I think it's a 7.5".  I don't know what kind of muzzle device he has, but that thing was painfull to shoot beside.  :o

On a 10.5", you are right at that length where it might not bother you too bad, and it might not be very bad when beside it.  There's ONE way to determine that, too...  Have someone else shoot it, and you stand beside it.  Once you do that, itll be pretty clear which direction you need to go.

NOTE:  I'm not talking about getting directly beside the end of the barrel.  Keep yourself about 5 to 8 feet to the side...  about the distance to the next shooting table at a range...

actually i have a BCv1.0 on my 16" AR hahahah i could take taht off and try it out on the pistol before i buy another BC v1.0

i wish they'd make BCv2.0 in matte stainless.....

for the KX3, i'll see if i can find a local who's willing to let me try one. But chances are i'll end up getting BC.

I have 7.5" and 8" pistols. The Levang brake is loud to the front but ok to shoot. The other muzzle device is a tube with holes all around it, this thing is louder than poop and uncomfortable to be around ! I have two other FH/comps that are in the bags with the pistols those are also loud to the sides. The KX-3 pig snorter comp is the poop get it if you can.  <thumbsup>

The Levang brake is loud to the front but ok to shoot.

I want it loud and blasty for the dude that's in front of it - I don't give a poop about his hearing...  <thumbsup> <lmao>

If he winds up on that side of it, it's for a reason - he has bigger issues at that point...  <dontknow>

<laughs> sorry guys im sucha a big sucker for BCE so i ordered 1.0 for my pistol build. .  <laughs>  <laughs> <laughs> . The pig would not look right on my build because it wouldn't be hidden inside the handguard. Same story with the Levang.

anyway the rest of my parts should be here by thursday the 20th! i don't know if should start assembling it up to get it ready for the 21st. OR, pack it all up and wrap it so i'll have something to unwrap for christmas.

what would ya'lls do?

I'd build it, put a bow on it and a box of ammo, act all surprised on Christmas morning - then go shooting.  ;D <thumbsup>

<laughs> <laughs> i shall do that! i had the Lower parts all assembled. I'm supposed to be getting my upper reciever today along with my optic and battlecomp. I'm so hyped i cant wait to get off work. this is gonna be one long day of wait!

I'm not quite sure what the hell I'm looking at...  Did you cut a notch in the upper receiver?...

yeppers. i had to make room for the handguards protrusion.i test fitted the barrel nut and handguard together but it was sort of loose. So i'm guessed that that protrusion is need to keep the handguard solidly stable

I'm not quite sure what the hell I'm looking at...  Did you cut a notch in the upper receiver?...

I'll bet I can hazard a guess, that rounded looking notch is where they brought the milling tool away from the workpiece before it (FFHG) made the full revolution with the milling cutter. You can see the profile of the milling cutter they were using. That FFHG should've been sent back to the manufacturer to be fixed or replaced. Cutting on your receiver is bad juju, and you shouldn't have to do that just because your FFHG manufacturer sent you factory seconds. I'd be real pissed off if I were in your shoes.