• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ID my bolt carrier. Bolt stuck

Powerman

I got my carrier in today. Looked at some videos on line. Mine does not look like DPMS or Armalite carriers.

I put my JP bolt in, but it seem to go in too far. The cam pin hole goes past the carrier, and the rings go past the bore. Now I can't get the bolt out. I don't think the rings are lined up right to pull it out. In this photo, where the gas port is... those are the gas rings.

IMG_8205_zps114e02b6.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8204_zps3a5b9c64.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8202_zps7705c60f.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private sale. At first the seller said it was Armalite and I was going with DPMS. He had it parkerized but said it was new. He said he was wrong and assured me it was DPMS. I ordered DPMS parts and have those, but right now, I'm irritated I can't gt the bolt out.

Also, on my JP bolt, you can see a pin I guess in the firing pin hole. The firing pin won't go it... but I can't get the bolt out to see what the deal is.

I had to sort of "line up" the gas rings to get it in the bore. But once, in, it moved fine. Then it went in as far as it did. I tried a little "persuasion" to get it out.. but no go. The gas rings are not "lined up" to get it back in the bore.

That can't be right... is it? How "far" will a bolt go?

Total newbie here so I don't know anything. If you need more pics I will post them.

I worked nights and had to take a little nap. I'll lube things up. Didn't really think of "counter bore"... that would not make sense. The chrome lined bore... is that a sleeve, or just chrome lined?

Is there anything about the carrier that is familiar? I have a DPMS split pin, but I do not see that working. The hole in the back where most other pins go is pretty small, and has the cut out on the left side. I have not seen anything else that looks like that.

How do I know for sure if it is DPMS pattern? What is the difference with Armalite?

The bolt is new, and I just popped it in. There is a pin in the bolt though that prevents the pin going in. It looks like a pointy triangle. I don't know what that is.

I used a long socket extension to the back of the bolt. I tried pounding it out on my wooded bench. No go. Didn't know how crazy I wanted to get with that with little sleep and less knowledge. :)

No, it's in the bolt.... there was nothing sticking out of the bolt... I just slid it in. I can spin it around.. but you can see this little thing inside the hole for the firing pin... about half way down.

And I have not even got to what to use for the firing pin retainer pin. The DPMS one I have does not fit in the hole it should be.

What ever that pin is, it is in front of the cam pin hole.. bolt face side.

I got the rings rotated to where they line up. The slots. I tried oil, manipulating the rings. Prying itWhen I put pressure on the bolt and spin it the rings don't move. They are pressed against the carrier.

Other than getting the 2 lb. hammer out at beating the snot out of it, I'm at a loss.

On this first pic... that is the firing pin going into the bolt. You can see the pin where it necks down to go through the face. Well what ever pin is inside the bolt, is right there. About a 1/8 inside from the cam bolt hole. The firing pin is on it in the pic.

IMG_8207_zps610f614b.jpg

This pic, you can just see how far back the bolt goes in the carrier. The gas rings are at the gas port. Not sure what is stopping it at that point. It only moved maybe a 1/16" or so before it hits the "bore" it is supposed to be in.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8208_zps7b74a981.jpg

This is just a pic of the other side where the firing pin retainer pin I assume is supposed to go, but mine is too big. The hole goes all the way through to the other side.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8209_zpsab9531fd.jpg

This shows my DPMS firing pin retainer pin. It is the same size as the port it is lined up to. The last hole on the left is where it should go but no. I have not seen other carriers with these holes like this. I realize it is all ports, but still.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8210_zpse52b86dc.jpg

I'm not doing anything crazy. I'm in no hurry, but at this point, I'm at a loss.

The bolt isn't "tight" in the carrier. I mean it has a bit of clearance. Spins , rattles a bit, I just can't get it out of the carrier.

I tried getting it on wood first, then went to concrete. I am not comfortable striking my bolt any more than I did. Not on the skinny back end

is it just a chip or shaving stuck in the firing pin hole? Try to get it out with a nail or punch? Did you try some light oil or penetrating oil on the gas rings? Could there be a burr on that gas port hole that the rings are catching? Try a small punch or pick to push on the rings one at a time to get them started past the front edge of that gas port hole.

Thanks Tex...  It was a chip of some sort. I got that out of the bolt. 1 problem solved.

I ran oil on the rings, tried lining the gaps up, tried moving front/back/left/right to get one started, tried putting pressure then push on the "end"/space to get it started. Nothing so far... and, I have not even got the first ring, let alone the others.

Is this normal for any other carriers for the bolt to go so far back into the carrier? Even if they don't get hung up?