• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ID my bolt carrier. Bolt stuck

Powerman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue... So I looked at the port.  I tried to see if that was the case. Could not really tell. I got the gaps in the rings lined up to the port and tried to get it again. I can "squeze" the bottom ring together, but it never went. Tried beating on it again.

Next up... it's in a the cold ass garage. I'm going to go put some heat on the carrier and see if I can swell it a bit.

After that I could try to drill out the rings. My only thought with that was getting a bunch of shavings in there and pieces or rigs could make it worse... no way to make them all squeeze in.

I suppose I could take it to a gun smith and see what they could do.

I'm wondering if your carrier is a home made job ?

It's possible... that was my concern. But it does not look crudely machined. I mean, it looks like a quality part. The ports are odd though, but I have never seen any other carrier so what do I know. My Fulton carrier will be here tomorrow so I can compare.

I was hoping someone would know what it looks like.

Well I took mine apart and it goes back just as far as yours but doesn't get stuck. There is a relief cut at the back of the gas ring bore and it tapers out to the larger dia. but yours could have a sharp edge there. I would'nt try to drill you probably will get little pieces of drill bit in there rather than pieces of the rings. Do you know anyone that works at a machine shop? If they have a tap burner (small e.d.m.) they could burn out a section of the rings opposite the gaps and not even touch anything else. I thought about using a grease gun to push it out (5000psi) but there are too many holes to plug. Other than that I am out of ideas, last resort would be brute force, put the head of the bolt in a bearing seperator and use a punch and BFH through the seperator to drive the carrier off the bolt, if it boogers up the front outer edge of the carrier that can be dealt with.

Thanks. My Fulton carrier got here to day and I see how that is. I do not know what is hanging up, but I'm done. I tried putting some heat on it still nothing. I called a gunsmith in town and he has dealt with it before. Meaning it happens but it just depends what it is hung up on. I'm taking it to him... and yes, last resort.. cutting the carrier off is an option. I have to have the bolt, I have another carrier. Maybe he can tell me what it is too.

Gun smith called back... it's apart. No damage... he just had to take the seals out little by little. Not sure how he did that. I will pick it up tomorrow and then post some pics side by side with my Fulton... because I do not see how it is possible for the other carrier to work.

<laughs>

So what the heck do I have here? This si side by side with my Fulton chrome carrier.

IMG_8215_zps17a061c6.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8216_zpsf50fe70f.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8217_zpsa8ef68a7.jpg

Here is my DPMS firing pin. You can see the relation to where it goes in the carrier. But it is very far recessed into the carrier from where the hammer would hit the pin... a good inch. Even I thought that was odd when the pin was in because it was so far into the carrier.

[img width=810 height=607]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMG_8213_zpsc7ca704b.jpg

What the heck do I have. The bore is a 308. But the gun smith had no idea what it went in.