• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First build

MONTANA308

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my SI-Defense last week. Some advice I was given here "Lots of oil/lube on break-in / do not use froglube" Not sure what your barrel manufacture recommends on break-in. But DPMS says clean and lube after every round for 20 rounds, then clean / lube after every 10 rounds for the next 80 rounds. I used a synthetic gun oil (lots of it) on every moving part, it was dripping out the holes. LOL  ( I have went back to Froglube now that the break-in is over)

Also, My SI-D was very tight chambered. So don't get upset if it is almost impossible to eject a live round. More advice I got here "Just shoot it"  

I am very happy with my SI-D. I think you will be as well. Have fun!

• 2 months later...

Well I've finally got this gun up and running first twenty rounds was all on adjusting gas block and getting her to feed. had her dripping wet but still wouldn't pic up a round. Or it would work perfect for three and then FTF. I ran out if daylight so put one more round through to try NEMO Arms flash hider. It's good at it's job.

Took it home and covered the BCG in mil comm TW 25B and sat in my chair and worked the old pull to start for an hour or . did this for a couple days till I could shoot again.

Next 25 round gun ran flawless. Will be working on some handloads to see how tight she will go.

Was using some magtec 150 fmj at 2800 and it shot well but not great I'll keep ya posted on progress so far I am very happy with my build

• 2 weeks later...

Took my rifle to my buddies 1000 yard range this evening.did a little little zeroing work then went out to 500 meters I was shooting some magtec 150 fmj. We are shooting at a 16in steel disk. Put few rounds on the steel. Probly would have put more on but the fmj where going right through the steel target and we making adjustment not knowing they where punching right through. Gun ran flawless again anther 20 rounds down range.

We also worked on his GA Persion 6.5 creedmore bolt gun put three rounds in the center and a little left on the same 16in Steal disk at 900 meters. Was a good day at the bench.