• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First build

MONTANA308

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know MONTANT308, people that have been shooting quality rifles (not just ARs) for a long time, say that your glass should cost 50% of what the rifle cost.

Others who shoot quality rifles (on the taxpayer dollar) believe that glass should cost at least as much as the rifle.

<laughs>

Hope I could be of help.  <thumbsup>

Jon

Ya Gulity I'm going to have 3,400 bucks in this thing and I haven't even looked at glass yet :o let alone the grand I wanna blow on a suppressor

I'd like to see the breakdown on that, because I'm not sure I could spend that much on parts if I wanted to :D Unless you bought 20 magpul magazines at $75 each as part of it ;)

I'd like to see the breakdown on that, because I'm not sure I could spend that much on parts if I wanted to :D Unless you bought 20 magpul magazines at $75 each as part of it ;)

It's not difficult to do at all my friend. A receiver set, a high quality barrel, a real nice trigger, aftermarket safety levers and mag releases + LPK, buffer tube, springs and buffer, bolt and BCG, free float handguard, gas system, BUIS and Optics, and muzzle device. Go price the least expensive of all these items that are a component of any typical build and come back with your total.

You will find that even the least expensive components add up so very quickly, this is compounded by the prices you will pay for the higher quality components that you can confidently stake your life on.

It's not difficult to do at all my friend. A receiver set, a high quality barrel, a real nice trigger, aftermarket safety levers and mag releases + LPK, buffer tube, springs and buffer, bolt and BCG, free float handguard, gas system, BUIS and Optics, and muzzle device. Go price the least expensive of all these items that are a component of any typical build and come back with your total.

You will find that even the least expensive components add up so very quickly, this is compounded by the prices you will pay for the higher quality components that you can confidently stake your life on.

Hmm yeah, I just did the math and you're right, the handguard + stock can make a huge difference in price, trigger can be a big jump too. Just my build isn't coming out nearly that high, but I'm also not going high end on stock or handguard, and got good low $ deals on a few of the parts

Hmm yeah, I just did the math and you're right, the handguard + stock can make a huge difference in price, trigger can be a big jump too. Just my build isn't coming out nearly that high, but I'm also not going high end on stock or handguard, and got good low $ deals on a few of the parts

Away and by far, the best way to go is through discounts and what can safely be bought used or lightly used. Some components though, you want to buy as new as you possibly can and those add up quick. I went the all-new component route on my Mega MA-TEN and after I got my suppressor and all that on it, it comes up forward of the $4k mark, BUT there is nothing else out there just like it that I have seen, and it shoots like you just wouldn't believe.

Easily done!!! Here's my build... without glass! And this was BEFORE things went crazy!

• $250 - SI Defense NiB coated Upper
  • $300 - SI Defense Gen2 Lower, anodized Dark Olive Drab
  • $450 - SI Defense Stainless Steel, NiB coated, Bolt Carrier Group
  • $75 - SI Defense Stainless Steel Barrel Extension
  • $50 - SI Defense Stainless Steel Bolt Catch
  • $50 - Armalite 'AR-10A' Magazine Release with Raddlock release
  • $300 - Apex CNC 12.5" "Gator Grip" free float tube (duracoat Olive Drab)
  • $950 - Jense Precision / Saturn Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Barrel; 17", Rifle Length Gas, 1:10 twist (Actually chambered to .3078 instead of .308 for more barrel pressure)
  • $200 - Battle Comp BABC Muzzle Device
  • $75 - PRI Railed Extended Gas Block, .836 diameter
  • $175 - Chip McCormick Tactical Flat Trigger, 3.5 lbs
  • $85 - Battle Arms Development - Short Throw Safety Lever (Crank and short) - Stainless Steel
  • $35 - BCM "Gunfighter" Mod-3 Charging Handle
  • $20 - Magpul MIAD Pistol Grip with 3M grip panels
  • $15 - Magpul MOE, 5 and 11 slot, rail segments
  • $20 - Magpul Angled Fore Grip v1
  • $125 - Magpul MBUS Gen2 Flip Sights - Custom upgrade to Tritium
  • $15 - Extended Take-down and Pivot Pin
  • $200 - Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter
  • $140 - CAR-10 Heavy Buffer with Tubb Flat Spring
  • $130 - ACE ARFX-Entry Stock with extended butt pad and cheek/storage saddle
  • $125 - VLTOR Side Mounted ModPOD ---- SWAPPED FOR, Harris Ultra Light BiPod

TOTAL: $3,785 (Approximately)

And if any of you tell my wife, I'll hunt you down! :sniper:

Ya, building out is always going to be more expensive, you just get what you want. And right now, even more expensive. I didn't want a Springfield M1 because I thought they were too expensive... I have twice that now with accessories, and some mags. And not a lot of high end stuff... just a Giessele SSA and Fulton Match barrel... but the BCG cost me nearly $600.

And ya, I still need glass. And no, I'm not spending $1500. No.... really. A Nikon 308 is the limit, or a similar Vortex.

I do love the heavy beast though. ;D

Hi All,  I just joined the forum.  Bought an SI-Defense billet matched .308 upper & lower and want to complete my build-out.  I wanted to get recommendations from the community for the rest of the build-out parts list.  I'm going to work with my local shop (Gun Exchange in San Jose, CA), but want to have some points of reference first.

Really appreciate the input.  Thanks!