• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Loose Barrel

survivalshop

Checked out a CMMG 308 today because he said it would not hold a group with match ammo . Long story , short version , he tried all the things with scopes mounts & have others shoot it .

I watched as he put a new scope mount on & all was secure . @ 50 yrds. it was shooting high , brought it down into the black & then shot three more slow shots & it when back to shooting high again . I was watching with a spotting scope, I asked if he was having any problems with his trigger release & he said , they all felt good , I went over to check the mount again & found that the Barrel was loose !

Well , that was different , he asked if he should send it back to the factory & <lmao>  I took that real good  <lmao> , I'm having him come over with the rifle & we will look at it in some depth .Hay , he's my heart Doctor , gotta take care of him .

This is a different hand guard , not sure who makes it . Will post photos when all done .

Barrel nut finger tight ! Spun it off with one finger . This set up is new to me , the only wrench that will work with it is the duel DPMS/AR10 heavy duty wrench .  the AR 10 side some what fits it & will work . I have a bunch of different wrenches & this nut is different , probably proprietary to the hand guard manufacturer , but the AR 10 will do .

Photo's will tell better of whats going on . will re -assemble this weekend & post.

I bought a CMMG 9mm upper the fake forward assist was damaged  from a poor packaging on Midways part. Rather than return it I contacted CMMG, emailed them a copy of my receipt. They required me to waste my time taking a picture as proof. As though I was trying to beat them out of some costly part. My time as well as theirs should have been more valuable than that exercise. Then I had to bump them over the course of a week or two to ship the replacement. I will not forget that lunacy.

Put the barrel back on , lapped the upper receiver where the barrel extension flange seats & glade I did . There was a low spot where the indexing pin grove was on the upper receiver . Barrel nut went to the next hole for the gas tube on this type of barrel nut , Nice & tight & no wobble . Headspace was good

Taken her out to the range Sat. for testing, will post results.

That's a pretty solid attachment system - impressive, actually.  If that barrel nut would have been properly torqued from the factory, there's no way it would loosen up on it's own (without taking out the gas tube).

I like that design.  <thumbsup>

Photos to follow ,but the rifle shoots very well . At 200 yards. Shot where you aimed . Much better than the one foot moa it had before I tightened the barrel .

Shooting some 145 surplus & doing about two , two & a half inch groups . I shot three rounds of my hand loads at 50 yards & have a photo , will down load them later , but a fine shooting rifle .

The 3 " orange dot is with my hand loaded 168 gr. SMK @ 50 yrds , just to see how the barrel was doing & the 8 " or bigger shoot & see ,is his 145 gr. surplus mixed in with some of my 5.56 holes.

If you look at the top of the larger target , I asked him to shoot the line at the top of the target & he came close ,one on each side , with surplus ammo no less @ 200 yrds.

Targets some how got side ways . His adj. cheek rest was too high for me to sight through his scope properly with my hand loads on the 50 yrd .line . The barre & rifle are capable of some fine shooting with the right ammo .

post-154-13629728947_thumb.jpg

post-154-136297289472_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

I recently bought a used cmmg mk3 that also had loose handguard screws and barrel nut. I used a strap wrench to re-tighten the barrel nut and low srength loctite for the other screws. Havent had a chance to shoot it yet.

Edited by gsp