• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 JPSCS SILENT CAPTURED SPRING SYSTEM

would you go with the above listed spring, or a hydraulic buffer?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Here's my opinion about hydraulic buffers:

Reduce moving parts - don't invite problems.  More moving parts directly equal more things to keep track of, maintain, and that can go wrong.  If your buffer fails - you fail. 

Don't complicate poop with complicated poop.  That's my opinion.  <thumbsup>

I went from the standard buffer and spring to the JP silent capture system and like it. I have had no problems with it and it is quite. Plan on using it in the next 308 project. As one would figure I am waiting on parts and Krieger barrels. I have a Kreiger barrel on my 308 bolt action rifle with the Obermeyer chamber and going the same for the AR platform, so I knew I would be waiting on the barrels so ordered 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JP recommends not using the buffer retainer detent.  I'm wondering if using this buffer is the cause of my broken bolt catch on the first shot.  Perhaps it is allowing over travel? sorry no on the part breakage ...i still have mine in and works great !

• 2 months later...

The problem was not from the JP SCS.  The nice thing about it is that you will never get buffer detent hole wear on your lower.  It's easier to clean and lubricate.  There less or no gap between the buffer and the bolt carrier.

The downside is that the damn thing just falls out when you take apart your upper.  but once you get used to it it's not really an issue.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The downside is that the damn thing just falls out when you take apart your upper.  but once you get used to it it's not really an issue.

The cure for that is to keep the retaining pin ad spring - just grind the pin down till there's just enough of a nub sticking up to keep the buffer assy from  falling out.  I don't have one myself since I've firing M-16's enough that I got used to the 'sproong' sound by my ear. LOL  Thinking back, the first time I fire an M-16, waaay back in basic, i raised my hand after firing my first shot and told the instructor I thought I'd had a malfunction because of thee weird sound I;d just heard.  Embarassing. <dontknow>

Guy at the range where I shoot has his set up this way and loves it.  It's still easy to get the buffer in and out but it doesn't fall out when you tip the lower down.

Edited by briflemn762

• 1 year later...

I love the damn things have one in every gas gun I own and that is quite a few a dozen or so from 204 rug to 338 fed and every thing in between only 2 have adj gas blocks have not seen the need the 338 just is to gassy and one of the 08's needed it 6-08 or 243 win

I love the damn things have one in every gas gun I own and that is quite a few a dozen or so from 204 rug to 338 fed and every thing in between only 2 have adj gas blocks have not seen the need the 338 just is to gassy and one of the 08's needed it 6-08 or 243 win

welcome to the forum feel free to post in the intro section or even a thread that's not 2.5-3 years old

• 5 months later...