• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Readily available ammuniton during tough times.

imschur

One of the things I have been studying is what ammo is available locally while the common stuff is out of stock. My thinking is to incorporate a few weapons that I previously have not considered.

30-06

44 Magnum

Are two to start

I saw .22 magnum for a while but thats dried up

There seems to be a plentiful supply of .17 HMR around here.

Most any centerfire rifle caliber that is NOT .308, .223, .30-30, .243, or .270 seems to have some on the shelves.

Surprisingly there looks to be .380 in normal supply, .40 is available in rationed quantities.

NOT 12 guage looks to be available also.

Jon

I saw a lot of 17HMR at first but it's long gone. Yes .380 I missed that one. I thought 22-250 would be in abundance but it's not. I wonder if the manufacturers are dedicating all production to the big runners. I know some calibers like 32H&R magnum are only run once or twice per year. perhaps the case with some others as well.

The biggest thing I don't get is all the hype over 22 LR? :cookoo:

All of this bullpoopy is getting old, back in `08/09 I really didn't have a problem with locating reloading components. It is a different ball game this time around as most of you know. On Midways site almost all 30 caliber components are sold out and back ordered into summer months. It is the same with most other sites for the popular calibers. I need some 308 brass badly, I had a decent amount but has been shot out IMO. 

Back in '08/'09, brother, the "panic" over Obummer caused alot more people to buy guns. They bought what we recommended - ARs, .308 ARs, .308 bolt guns, 10/22s, .22 bolt guns, .22 pistols, etc.

Now, not only are we looking for ammo, reloading components, rifle parts - 4 years worth of new people are looking for it, too.

We, collectively, as owners, have growm in population, over 4 years.  The industry really hasn't grown in that same 4 years (outside of new companies).  Forges make the same amount of forgings.  A few billet makers add to the numbers.  Ammo companies turn out the same amount of ammo.  Tooling companies crank out the same amount of BCGs and bolts - just to more and more new, smaller companies. 

Supply hasn't really increased, but demand has gone through the roof.  The next 4 years aren't going to be anything like what we went through frorm '08-to-now, I don't think.  Not unless the primary suppliers really start putting out more.

My $0.02.

Back in '08/'09, brother, the "panic" over Obummer caused alot more people to buy guns. They bought what we recommended - ARs, .308 ARs, .308 bolt guns, 10/22s, .22 bolt guns, .22 pistols, etc.

Now, not only are we looking for ammo, reloading components, rifle parts - 4 years worth of new people are looking for it, too.

We, collectively, as owners, have growm in population, over 4 years.  The industry really hasn't grown in that same 4 years (outside of new companies).  Forges make the same amount of forgings.  A few billet makers add to the numbers.  Ammo companies turn out the same amount of ammo.  Tooling companies crank out the same amount of BCGs and bolts - just to more and more new, smaller companies. 

Supply hasn't really increased, but demand has gone through the roof.  The next 4 years aren't going to be anything like what we went through frorm '08-to-now, I don't think.  Not unless the primary suppliers really start putting out more.

My $0.02.

Agreed, I was talking to a buddy of mine and a few of your points came up in our discussion about components.

To contribute to OP's thread.

In my neck of the country, the local wally world has plenty of 12ga and 20ga shells such as birdshot, 00buck and slugs. Usually a good amount of .243,30-30, higher priced .308 hunting rounds and .300WM. I went in today hoping to find some cheaper win .308 180gr soft point(usually $18.99)  to shoot up for the brass. No luck though. The gander in my area has a good amount of factory ammo, but the prices IMO are to high.

Was just at a Wallymart nearby that actually sells ammo. They have 300 win mag, 30-06,.270,and 20ga.

Just went to the Wallyworlds in the hood, the superstore got .45acp anf 300wsm in today. They still have the more expensive hunting calibers in stock and 20 ga and 410/45 defender packs.

My wallyworld got in Winchester 9mm,40s&w,380,38spc,45acp today. I picked up 2 boxes of 9mm thats all the money I had on me. The computer said Win 333 in 22lr came in but they came in yesterday and sold out immediately, thats was what I waslooking for.

Went to Big5 Friday looking for 22lr ,they had that,223 & 308 but it sold out in 15 minutes.Their prices are a little high.

Then I went to a LGS which is new ,about a mile from my house and guess what they have ammo: 22lr Eley 40gr $10 for 50 rounds. 223 hornady vmax $25.50 for 20. Hornady zombie rounds in 9mm,40s&w $36 a 20 or 25pk. Tula 50pks in 9mm,40s&w,45acp for $29. I think you get where I am going.

Even the 7.62x39 was $11.99 for 20rds...Damm ! Left before my wallet cried rape.

Found a LGS thats new, cool owners. They have alot of product ordered and are loading up their store with product. They have powders and primers but are limiting the SPP to 3 tic-tac per day. Magpul inbound in the next couple weeks. The owners won't price gouge ever.

One of the things I have been studying is what ammo is available locally while the common stuff is out of stock. My thinking is to incorporate a few weapons that I previously have not considered.

30-06

44 Magnum

Are two to start

I saw .22 magnum for a while but thats dried up

In my AO the 7mm Remington Mag. seems to be the easiest to find and just happens to be what I use for deer hunting <thumbsup>

• 3 weeks later...