• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

18" Barrel Selection

phunk

I am most concerned with accuracy, not too concerned with weight. I want an 18" barrel. I was looking at the Rainier Arms UltraMatch, but they are out of stock and have no guess when they will have more, but they say it could be months. So, they are no longer an option.

I want to use my rifle this summer.

I will be ready to purchase a barrel in roughly 2 weeks. Where would be my best bet to get one ordered and actually see it within 4 weeks? How long does Kreiger take to get a barrel done? This will be my first time purchasing a rifle barrel without an entire rifle, so I am not too familiar with who makes the better ones.

Edited by phunk

FA also has those Criterion barrels in stock in 20" stainless. they are a little longer than i wanted, but stainless and heavy barrel are 2 points that i was looking for. i might have to settle. I am sure I could knock off 2" from the barrel some day if I found it bothered me, just would have to get it crowned again, right? Any other harm in doing that? I see the 20" one has a rifle length gas system.

I have a lot of learning to do about the pros and cons of the different length gas systems, and I assume if you shorten the barrel too close to the gas block, the projectile will have left the barrel before enough pressure was spent to cycle the action? am i correct with that assumption?

Edited by phunk

AHH but i just noticed the 20" is a 1:12 twist... i was thinking i wanted a 1:10 if i wanted to go with heavier rounds for long distance accuracy. unless i am wrong in my thinking, which is possible cause im a 308 noob, i am sort of failing to see the point of a long barrel without the aggressive twist

I have a lot of learning to do about the pros and cons of the different length gas systems, and I assume if you shorten the barrel too close to the gas block, the projectile will have left the barrel before enough pressure was spent to cycle the action? am i correct with that assumption?

You're working with a .308 Win round now - don't worry about that.  You can have a 16" barrel, with a rifle-gas system, that runs fine.  Get the 5.56 stuff outta your head with these.  Flush it.

Wait for the Fulton Armory 18.5" stainless. medium contour barrel, by Criterion, if you want the 1:10 twist.  It's a winner, by far.

You're working with a .308 Win round now - don't worry about that.  You can have a 16" barrel, with a rifle-gas system, that runs fine.  Get the 5.56 stuff outta your head with these.  Flush it.

Wait for the Fulton Armory 18.5" stainless. medium contour barrel, by Criterion, if you want the 1:10 twist.  It's a winner, by far.

I also have the barrel Tom is describing. We're talking about a cloverleaf/bughole barrel here my friend, absolutely no exaggeration.

I know SurvivalShop has one. I think Jgun has one too.

If I start another build it is the ONLY barrel I would choose. I wanted one for my last build, but they went extinct as soon as I started building. FA said the barrel was discontinued by the mfg. I remember cussing the guys that already had theirs. I ended up with a carbon fiber 17" with rifle length gas. At the end of 2012 I saw FA was selling them again as a regular item. I am very jealous of the guys that have theirs.