• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tools?

crazybull

While there are some tools common to builds there are also some specialized tools relative to your specific build. What exactly are you building? Do you have any tools for working on AR-15's? Also if you go to the forum main page on the right side there are some text links to tools.

I will use topic to develop an updated list for the site.

I'm planning on building a tactical sniper rifle with an 18" barrel.  I did pick up "The competitive AR15 : Builders Guide" by Glen Zediker and it seems pretty good so far.  It does list some tools you need but I'm afraid that since they are for the AR15 that they are the wrong sizes or what not.  Will the same tools that work for the AR15 also work to put together a 308 version (aside from the vise blocks of course)?

I have that book. I will see what it's suggesting. Many of the tools are the same. One difference is the barrel nut. You need to know what handguard your using to determine what is needed for a barrel nut wrench.If you can give us a parts rundown of your build

Do you have a good vise, hex wrenches, plastic faced hammer etc? or should I get specific

I have an SI Defense match upper and lower on order and was planning on using either the rainier 18" match or the rainer 18" select.  I'm still fuzzy on parts and will be taking that all one step at a time.  The lower parts kit that I was looking at was CMMG parts kit with 2 stage trigger.

I do have hex wrenches, vise and hammer with a brass and nylon head.  I also will be ordering an upper and lower receiver vise block.  The thing I'm most unsure of is the different punches that I will need for the roll pins and pivot pins.   There are some tools covered in the book that I'm also unfimilar with such as the magazine latch tool and roll pin holders.  I also don't have machinist drills bits (the ones that use numbers as opposed to the fractional system)  but I do have a good set of colbalt and titanium drill bits.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get it together but would like to break ground soon.  Also if you have any parts advice toss it out to me.  My plan is to take my time and do it right.

Here is a list of tools I'm looking to get.

Barrel nut alignment gauge

Pivot pin detent installation tool

Take down tool

Hammer and punch set

Roll pin punch set

Roll pin starter punch

Roll pin holder

Lower receiver vise block

Upper receiver vise block

what else should I get to get started on the build from a tool stand point?

Here is a list of tools I'm looking to get.

Barrel nut alignment gauge

Pivot pin detent installation tool

Take down tool

Hammer and punch set

Roll pin punch set

Roll pin starter punch

Roll pin holder

Lower receiver vise block

Upper receiver vise block

what else should I get to get started on the build from a tool stand point?

You don't need all that stuff. You can use a gas tube the same way you use a barrel nut alignment gauge. The lower receiver doesn't need a block. There's no reason to put it in a vice. You don't need a special tool for the detent pins. A small punch or even a large paper clip, and some patience, will work just fine.

A barrel nut wrench is a must have for all builders.

The rest of the rifle can be completed with regular tools, ie crescent/box/allen wrenches and screw drivers.

Thanks Robo,  you just saved me about $80 to $100 worth of un-needed tools!  I just orderd the other stuff from Midway as Brownells didn't have everything (saving on shipping).   After the receivers come in and all the tools arrive I'll start shopping for a lower parts kit.  I will most likely buy the trigger seperate from the lower parts kit I would like to get a 2 stage and will have to put back my hobbing $$ to get one.

What type of hand guard are you going to put on ? Match/sniper type rifle will get the most out of a free float hand guard . Make sure you get the right wrench for the hand guard you are using . Depending on what type , a strap wrench or std nut wrench, will not always work.

Edited by survivalshop

I found the barrel alignment gage very useful when aligning the JP handguards. The gage is slightly larger OD than a gas tube and made getting proper orientation easier. Again some of this is specific to an individuals build.

For me the pivot pin tool to is a blessing. But missing some fingers I need every mechanical advantage I can gain. I have a slightly different version, it's not L-Shaped. The L is a BIG improvement

I will most likely pick up some more tools as I find out what my mechanical limitations are (bang square peg through round hole).  For me this is a pretty ambitious project but I love the 308 and the AR platform.  I thank you all for your advice and look forward to your thoughts and ideas as of rightnow I guess this is no longer my build but a community build.  I most certainly will post pics as I get it together and hopefully it will result in a quality firearm (as long as I do my part).

I've been working on a parts list so here it is tell me what you think and what I'm missing.  I am a little lost on some of the barrel components and stock.

1. Rainier 18" match barrel

2. Seekins precision compensator

3. Rainier free floating rail system (RA10-X11)

4. Armalite AR10 lower parts kit w/ 2 stage NM trigger

5. SI Defense nickel boron bolt carrier group

6. Rainier raptor charging handle

I know I'm missing the stock and its hardware, the gas system, and the barrel nuts and delta rings.  I'm lost on these items and suggestions are welcomed

Sounds like you have a good set of components working there. That Rainer rail is pretty good. I've one for my SBR build (tip from Edge). The barrel nut comes with it. And since you're using the rail, you don't need a delta ring.

I also got one of the raptor handles for the same SBR build. I'll tell you, I'm liking these handles alot. I also use one on my DD M4. They just kinda feel right, when you grab them. And smooth by the way.

• 2 years later...