• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

so i Just bought my first shotty

soofley

so a buddy of mine upgraded his shotty. He offered me his old one for a superb deal so i couldn't resist  :)) . 

problem is i have no clue about shotties but that'll change over the next few weeks. This shotty, a mossberg 500 18.5" 5+1 shot, will be my project shotty. All it need is a new front sight and a different stock. 

what type of ammo's best for plinking? and i heard there are different sizes  to choose from like 2-3/4? 

so i can use any of the following ?

12 Gauge 1-3/4" Shells
12 Gauge 2-3/4" Shells
12 Gauge 3" Shells
12 Gauge 3-1/2" Shells

those are some pretty big difference in numbers lol

ye i tried to shop for 12g ammo and i was dumbfounded i didnt know which one i should get. Just get the cheapest one for plinking i guess

Edited by soofley

I read the Mossy 500 does better with those stubbys than the 870's. It has something to do with the loading gate shape.

Talk to the Serbu "Super Shorty" guys about the stubby loads. They have lots of experience with that stuff. Full size 12g loads in a short barrel gets painfull after a while, I don't care who you are.

I still have some boxes left over which I'd bought when I had a 590, because I'd read the same.  Maybe a 500 but they didn't cycle in my 590.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=aguila&x=0&y=0

The big "G&A" selling points were no wad, more per magazine, who cares if the shot is deformed for housework.

Maybe I'll try some today in the 930.

Jon

Absolutely! No point in wasting money there.

Check out the "Rhino Rail" and the "Road Blocker Brake".... Those are the shiiit!!!

uggghhhhhh. i hate you for showing me that rhinorail :catfight: . Now i gotta save up for a 590 just so i could get started with a rhino rail project shotty. i guess i'll turn this mossy 500 5+1 into a trunk gun instead 

You can use 2 3/4  shells for most uses.

Used to have people come in to buy a 3 1/2" Turkey gun, so they could go hunt turkeys.  I'd ask if they had a shotgun now, most would reply they did have one.

I'd ask "Why not use your current shotgun, just buy an extra-full choke?"  Some would say "Because I'm hunting turkey!"

"Did your grandfather hunt turkeys?  Yeah...what did he use?"

Most still wanted the 3 1/2" chamber.

Jon

I have shot a total of maybe 5 or 6 of the 3-1/2" shells in my life. I hated every one of them.

I can do damn near anything with a 2-/34" and only use the 3" for the added distance/range.

As for turkey, I'd rather get better at my calls and brag about using a 20g or a .410

I have shot a total of maybe 5 or 6 of the 3-1/2" shells in my life. I hated every one of them.

I can do damn near anything with a 2-/34" and only use the 3" for the added distance/range.

As for turkey, I'd rather get better at my calls and brag about using a 20g or a .410

Yep I had a 835 turkey gun chambered in 3.5", I don't recall ever firing another 3.5" after I patterned it. That's pure punishment right there!  If I lived in a state that only allowed shotguns for deer hunting I might have kept it but fortunately I'm still free :)) as far as "plinking" goes get some 2-3/4", 71/2 shot dove loads and a box of skeets <thumbsup>

Edited by BLKSHEEP

Mosberg is my family gun 500 cruiser with 2:3/4 hurts but buck in my benlie Is a no go but 3 inch is if its ducks. Depends on what you are intending for use as long as you buy 12. Ga and your barrel says up to your good to go max or min. 12 ga good!!