• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

To reload or not to reload....

shibiwan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you buy your press. Take a drive north on the 101 to Frank Llyod Wright Blvd just past the north runway to Dillions showroom and look at their product !

I get a lot of my supplies there.

Taste the kool-aid !

There's a little voice in my head that's telling me not to go there because I'll be broke when I walk out of the place....

Ditto for what has been said, rcbs kit to learn and keep using over time, then Dillon 550, absolutely love the Dillon, no complaints, as stated customer service is second to none, and don't worry about the rcbs being a waste you will still need just about all of that stuff anyway. My 308 reloads out of the Dillon vs. single stage I cannot tell any difference in accuracy, they are both better than I am.

Gonna stop this single/progressive thing right now!

Picked up the Hornady L&L AP from Sportsman's after work. So there. Good price too, especially considering they're having a 0% tax week. At $439.99 and 0 tax, the price was better than Amazon+tax ($443) !!

....and I blame Wash for enabling...

P.S. Since when did amazon start charging tax.....

Edited by shibiwan

Shibi Way to go! go to you tube theres the guy that has a bunch of vids on the locknload....download the rebate for your bullets....lemme know how it goes.....what caliber first? be sure and get xtra quick change bushings

ill prolly get mine next week.....lol.....ill take the blame :) Wash

Aawww crap!! Forgot about the tax free sale!!

HURRY!!! Ends Sunday!

Amazon probably started taxing us in AZ because they have a distribution center in town...but I don't recall them applying sales tax last year!

I'm already polishing my brass on the mid-size tumbler that I "stole" from my shop....now for the next phase - how to set it up stealth-like so the wife no yell at me for spending more $.

Edited by shibiwan

Shibi Way to go! go to you tube theres the guy that has a bunch of vids on the locknload....download the rebate for your bullets....lemme know how it goes.....what caliber first? be sure and get xtra quick change bushings

ill prolly get mine next week.....lol.....ill take the blame :) Wash

Yeah, already compared the vids of the RCBS 2000, the Hornady AP and the Dillon (they really piecemeal that one - didn't like that too much). 308's are first of course! Probably followed by 5.56 and 9mm luger.

OK gotta question... are primers generally interchangeable? CCI 200/BR2? Federal 210? Winchester WLR?

Powder wise I'm probably going with Varget or CFE223 depending on what I can find in stock. They seem to hide all the powders somewhere in the stores... can't find any on the shelves. LOL

Edited by shibiwan

Primers   Are the same sizes, but aren't really interchanable if you have a good load worked up.

Built a 218 bee one time, on a small martini.  Couldn't get better than 1.5".   Changed primers, everything else the same,  3/4" group.

This also holds true with other componets.   All brass is not the same, not only between mfgs, but withen  different lots of brass.  Powder can change  dramaticly from lot to lot.  Some powders are even affected by temp! 

Loaded up 100 rds or 6.5 Grendal for the wife.   50 got left in her Jeep over the winter, the other 50 were in the house.    Come sprin, and checking out the rifle, you didn't need a chrono to tell the difference!   You could hear,feel, and see the difference in the loads.

Loading is fun!  But you have a LOT of reading to do!LOL!!

Respectfully

Terry

Shibi, if you're a 5.56 guy, just make damn sure you separate your 223 Rem brass from your 5.56 NATO brass.  Don't start loading them both the same.  I run CCI 400 primers in my 223 Rem brass and CCI 41 primers in my 5.56 brass, in addition to the different powder charges.  You'll have to develop a load that works well from your 5.56 guns for each of those types of brass.  If you drop a good 223 Rem powder charge in a 5.56 NATO case, that 5.56 case WILL have a higher chamber pressure. 

I would have voted single stage, but I got into this thread too late... 

Gonna stop this single/progressive thing right now!

Picked up the Hornady L&L AP from Sportsman's after work. So there.

Ha ha ha. Another life is now wasting away in the reloading room. You think the costs are exhorbitant for AR308s? Wait until you have 17 different powders, 10 different bullets, a dozen different primers and some manuals to pour over. It never ends! <lmao>

Welcome to the world of reloading shibi.  <thumbsup> For me it has become an addiction of sorts  so look out. And yea it would be nice if the powder would come back around the only place I was able to find mine(CFE223) was at the gun show and they had it marked up about $30.00 for an 8 lbs. keg but it was available so good luck in finding powder brother. 

Shibi, if you're a 5.56 guy, just make damn sure you separate your 223 Rem brass from your 5.56 NATO brass.  Don't start loading them both the same.  I run CCI 400 primers in my 223 Rem brass and CCI 41 primers in my 5.56 brass, in addition to the different powder charges.  You'll have to develop a load that works well from your 5.56 guns for each of those types of brass.  If you drop a good 223 Rem powder charge in a 5.56 NATO case, that 5.56 case WILL have a higher chamber pressure. 

I would have voted single stage, but I got into this thread too late... 

I'm primarily 308. Screw the 5.56 - that's what I take to the range for the kids to shoot. I'll probably put in a light load in them to minimize the recoil.

Crap... the big stores all don't have any powder in stock... I'll have to look around. 

From another forum...

"Congratulations on starting to reload!  Between trips to the range, reloading, and pouring over reloading manuals, your brain will soon be mush and good for little else." PapaJohn

Too late now. :(

Edited by shibiwan

I'm primarily 308. Screw the 5.56 - that's what I take to the range for the kids to shoot. I'll probably put in a light load in them to minimize the recoil.

Too bad, at 100 yards my 5.56 AR is nearly as accurate as my 308 (sub MOA) when I reload 223 with SMKs or nosler 77gr.

As far as separating brass for 5.56 and 223 my load seems to work for both about the same using BLC2.  I just sort by headstamp to have more consistent groups, but the I didn't find much difference in m accuracy load.  For 308 on the other hand, definitely develop a load for each kind of brass.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Too bad, at 100 yards my 5.56 AR is nearly as accurate as my 308 (sub MOA) when I reload 223 with SMKs or nosler 77gr.

As far as separating brass for 5.56 and 223 my load seems to work for both about the same using BLC2.  I just sort by headstamp to have more consistent groups, but the I didn't find much difference in m accuracy load.  For 308 on the other hand, definitely develop a load for each kind of brass.

I'm just burnt out on 5.56... especially after the military, even though it's been over 20 years.... LOL

Scored 2 lbs of CFE223 and one lbs IMR4064!. Let the fun begin...

The priming system on the Hornady Lock- N-Load AP is a tube fed system which can hold 100 primers at a time. This system uses

a primer slider which picks up primers on- demand. Therefore, if you constantly cycle the press, you will not be “overflowing” primers into a collector like you would on some other presses such as the Dillon XL-650.

The Hornady Lock-N-Load AP priming system is also a safe design. When primers are being picked up, they cannot be crushed because the only force acting on the slider is a spring. Another safety feature for the Hornady Lock- N-Load AP is the separation distance between the primer being inserted in the case and the stack of primers in the primer tube. If a primer were to go off while being inserted into a case, it would be far enough from the other primers to prevent the whole tube from going off.

Be careful you blue kool aid boys ...:) Good selection Shibi ....cant wait for mine...so I assume the Hornady is so safe you can smoke a cigar while reloading? :) Wash