• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas tube

Tritondavey

Rifle length? MId-length? What kind of gas block are you using? Is the gas tube set all the way into the block and pinned? Finally (for now), is it for an Armalite upper? May sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask. Armalite gas tubes (rifle) are a pube longer than the SR25/DPMS pattern AR's.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

The std m16/AR15 gas tube I have is 15 1/8 " long , if that helps.

Do not know squat about Armilite parts , but as said , make sure every thing is seated properly. Having a DPMS barrel ,may be where the trouble lies , but others have installed them on Armilite receivers & with the proper parts , it should work.

Rifle length. The gas tube is 15 1/2 inch long and I have an Armilite upper. I think the issue is the barrel which is I ordered from lilja. They are saying it was made for a DPMS. Can I just order a DPMS gas tube and will that work? Thanks for the help

from all that I've heard, for that to work at all (the DPMS barrel) you'd have to use a DPMS bolt carrier or at least bolt for correct headspacing. But I'm not even sure of that. I'd try to get lilja to take it back, and send you an armalite one.

Well, actually i'd just build a DPMS rifle instead but that's me :D

With the barrel instaled on the upper, insert the gas tube attached to the gas block into the upper receiver and rotate it so. The bottom is facing up . There is a round machined opening in the grove that the charging handle slides in. The end of the gas tube should be centered there.

Take a picture of this and post it. We will get back to you.

Is the gas tube bottoming out in the carrier key ?

I assume that's what he means , photos would be nice. 

from all that I've heard, for that to work at all (the DPMS barrel) you'd have to use a DPMS bolt carrier or at least bolt for correct headspacing. But I'm not even sure of that. I'd try to get lilja to take it back, and send you an armalite one.

Is there any difference in dimensions ( length) between an AR 10 vs an DPMS BCG's ? I personally would use a DPMS BCG with a DPMS barrel/extension.

I have never owned or worked on an Armilite AR 10 , so I can only go by whats on forums like this one .

Run a DPMS bolt for a DPMS barrel extension.  You can run the whole BCG assembly if you want, but you for sure need the bolt.

I assume that's what he means , photos would be nice. 

Is there any difference in dimensions ( length) between an AR 10 vs an DPMS BCG's ?

No length differences in the carrier.  At least, not enough to make a difference.  Documented instances out there of people running Armalite bolt/carrier (to match their Noveske barrel) in a DPMS-based build.  Same for the other way around, DPMS BCG in an Armalite-based build has been seen in the wild, and works. 

Match the proper bolt to the barrel extension.  <thumbsup>

Lilja won't take the barrel back. This is a picture of how far off it is. This is the position when the bolt is fully closed. When I install the gas tube and block and line up the hole in the gas tube and barrel then the bolt is slightly open which of course won't allow the weapon to fire.

Can I just have the existing hole in the barrel plugged and re-drilled by a gunsmith? Or would it be better to see if a DPMS gas tube that is short work?

Thanks

If the 15 1/2 " gas tube is keeping the BCG from locking into battery , I would get the std AR 15 rifle length gas tube . I don't need the one I have if you want it . Shipping it now would be crazy , but I will if you want it , just PM me .

I believe we had a similar issuer not to long ago with the opposite situation , the posters tube was too short & he went to an armilite tube to make it right .

No photo is seen, as said, but I get what your are talking about.