• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Electro plated  ?  How do they shoot ?

I haven't got to shoot any of them yet SS but one of the guys over at 300blktalk.com shot some MOA groups with the same load. The manufacturer says to not go over 2000 fps with these. This load should clock about 1900. All I've done is load and shoot the first 20 to make sure they functioned okay before loading the rest.

Edited by 392heminut

Some good looking reloads. I still have a couple of thousand rounds of .45 auto lead semi-wadcutters, ,3006, 180 grain 30-30 and 38 special semi-wad cutters !2 ga. AA- trap shells I loaded back in the 1980s. I sold all my reloading stuff, when I got sick, except my Lee 12 Ga loadall my son used for his Remington 870 trap gun.

looks good in the Folgers can!........

My Daddy used to say "If you get away from Folgers coffee and Camel cigarettes, you are just spinning your wheels."

Where did you get those bullets?

www.highbornoutdoors.com

$64.99 per 500!

Seriously thinking about picking some of these up and trying to work up a load for the M1 Carbine with them...  Hmmm...

If it doesn't work so well, they'd get made up as BLK rounds. 

After you have the loading set the way you want it @ 100 yds., shoot at longer ranges , so you can make a log ( range card ) of what scope settings you need to do for different range adjustments . 

I have not had a loading yet that shot well when compressed , not saying its not possible to shoot as well as a non compressed load , but I haven't found it to be that way . I prefer to have some room in the case for ignition . If I have a load that has a compressed load because of the bullet , I look for a different powder that uses less volume for the Velocity threshold I'm looking for , with that particular bullet .

I tried the Barnes M/LE Tac X 168 gr. bullet & even with the proper neck tension , with IMR 4064 ( compressed load ), the bullet would sometimes pop back out of the case & screw my COL. up .  The bullet is so long & slender at the tip , it would also stick or wedge itself in the seating stem . I had to polish the inside of the stem where the bullet sits , for it to work properly & that didn't help in the bullet popping back up from the compressed load .  

After IMR 4064 didn't work out , I used my WC 846 ball powder & had no problem with loading . There is a thread on it here some where.

On another note , Swaging the primer pocket on crimped brass is really ,really boring, when you have hundreds to do , that's all I have to say .

Edited by survivalshop

On another note , Swaging the primer pocket on crimped brass is really ,really boring, when you have hundreds to do , that's all I have to say .

That's why I switched over to this device - no more cutting primer pocket crimps out, just run them in the press.  <thumbsup>

http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Primer-Pocket-Swager-Combo-2.aspx

post-7-0-83794100-1425248960_thumb.jpg

That's why I switched over to this device - no more cutting primer pocket crimps out, just run them in the press.  <thumbsup>

http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Primer-Pocket-Swager-Combo-2.aspx

I use the same thing , I think its better to reform the material back to where it came from than to trim it off. I also use the swager to identify loose primer pockets of previous reloads . I toss any that it fits in loose , has to have some resistance on the tool to hold a primer in the pocket .