• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how to install bipod on free float handgaurd?

darb

You got pix ?what float? what pod? Details :)

knurled free float (360 degree circle)not any rails attached, harris s bipod. I will see if I can figure out how to post pictures tomorrow, if not then this weekend when my son comes home from college. I just retired and need get up to speed with technology. thank you for the reply.

Drill & tap a couple small holes and mount a rail section, add a rail-mount bipod (e.g. Atlas). Problem solved. Most tubular free floats are 1.98" to 2" diameter OD and YHM has rail sections that match this diameter.

Here's a rail section that you can use.

YHM-9464-3.jpg

The alternative is to drill one hole and put in a swivel stud and you can easily fit a swivel-mount bipod.

YHM-262.jpg

Strongly recommend the first method because it doesn't unscrew as easily as a single mount point.

Edited by shibiwan

Winner Winner chicken dinner(Shibiwan).The YHM 9464 3  seems like the way to go. The harris bi pod is on a wish list(think I will look around a bit more) site as I wanted to figure out the installation prior to purchase. (unlike the rest of the rifle). Thanks to all on this forum, great site, only wished I had came across this earlier but still a lot of help. P.S.  "snooze you lose", being retired I do on occasion take a nap. ^-^

My honest opinion on the Harris: WAKE UP HARRIS!! STOP MILKING THAT OLD DESIGN AND MAKE A PICATINNY RAIL VERSION THAT DOESNT NEED AN ADDITIONAL ADAPTOR.

...and therefore I have an Atlas bipod.

BTW, talking about dozing off, I just nodded off for 15 mins. LOL

Edited by shibiwan

Re: Shibiwan V.S. 98Z5V    I mean Atlas V.S. Harris, with the price of the adapter that brings the cost of the Harris up closer to the Atlas. That being said without starting a war :auto: , what are the pros and cons between the two? I am working on three ar builds, two 15's( twosons) and a 308 (me) so according to my calculator I am going to be in need of three or at least have the same set ups. ^-^

Hey brother, ready to throw another kink in the chain?  Don't overlook the GG&G bipods.  The HD-XDS is a damn good one for your application, but I'd suspect the regular XDS would do fine on your rifle, too.  No adapters necessary - just the pic rail.

Various models in this link:

http://www.gggaz.com/tactical-rifle-bipods.html

Standard-Duty-XDS-Bipod-9-11.jpg

XDS-2-Tactical-Bipod-New-Feet-2012.jpg

Sweet. With my 308 I am going to be doing mainly benchrest shooting. As the rifle(.308 / 7.62) weights 11 lbs with 10 round clip, I know the xds would be fine fore the 15s but what about the 308? rather have kinks in the chain now rather than later.

My honest opinion on the Harris: WAKE UP HARRIS!! STOP MILKING THAT OLD DESIGN AND MAKE A PICATINNY RAIL VERSION THAT DOESNT NEED AN ADDITIONAL ADAPTOR.

That old design has it's place but I concur that they should also make a rail version! My next bipod will not be another Harris because of that exact reason.

so longer is better?

Up to you.... there's no better or worse, just that a longer one lets you hook on more stuff later if you so wish. It also allows you to have some additional adjustment room if you prefer the bipod a little farther back.

Edited by shibiwan