• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how to install bipod on free float handgaurd?

darb

Up to you.... there's no better or worse, just that a longer one lets you hook on more stuff later if you so wish. It also allows you to have some additional adjustment room if you prefer the bipod a little farther back.

good infonThanks

The other thing you might want to consider in bipod choice is snagging, especially if you're running around in the brush with the rifle (e.g. game hunting, zombie killing, competition shooting, exiting vehichles while armed...). I decided on one that is slimmer/smoother and has less protuberances, odd angles and had legs that could fold either way so it's less likely to snag on belts, straps, clothes, brush and branches, dead bodies etc.... One less thing to worry about when SHTF IMO.

::)  <dontknow>

My current setup.

IMG_5673.JPG

Edited by shibiwan

The question of the durability on the GG&G came up - I have the HD XDS on my 308, and it's MORE than adequate.  I've been meaning to pick up the standard XDS (lighter version) for a 20" 5.56 precision rig I have, but just never got around to it.  I will someday.  I'm pretty sure the standard version would hold up just fine on the 308, too.  They're damn well made, and tough as hell. 

The other thing you might want to consider in bipod choice is snagging, especially if you're running around in the brush with the rifle (e.g. game hunting, zombie killing, competition shooting, exiting vehichles while armed...). I decided on one that is slimmer/smoother and has less protuberances, odd angles and had legs that could fold either way so it's less likely to snag on belts, straps, clothes, brush and branches, dead bodies etc.... One less thing to worry about when SHTF IMO.

::)  <dontknow>

My current setup.

IMG_5673.JPG

thanks for the photo, gives me a better perspective

thanks for the photo, gives me a better perspective

You're welcome. It's a Troy handguard but you get the idea.

Here's the bottom of my old CMMG Mod 0 tubular handguard - it shows how most rail sections (2" shown) are attached to tubular float tubes.

IMG_5680.JPG

Edited by shibiwan

I kinda wonder how the Polymer rail would hold up with a bipod on it . That rail will take a lot of stress . I only use steel( @ a min. , Aluminum ) rails for bipod use , if I have to add one, on a round thread on hand guard. Most other FF hand guards have provisions to add rails .

Edited by survivalshop

I wish to thank everyone for their input. I ordered the GG&G XDS bi-pod with the yhm adapter. to go on my .308. If it is not to my liking I will put it on one of my ar-15 builds, but Ithink it will be fine. Once again thanks to all on this forum :banana: P.S. well maybe not to happy with the money side but as I always say " what is another bucket of water to a drowning man".

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome. It's a Troy handguard but you get the idea.

Here's the bottom of my old CMMG Mod 0 tubular handguard - it shows how most rail sections (2" shown) are attached to tubular float tubes.

IMG_5680.JPG

bi-pod and adapter have arrived. Looks like I need to tap two holes in my float for the 2 screws that were provide with the adapter. will that be secure enough, or should I get longer screws so I can install a washer and nut on the inside of the float?

bi-pod and adapter have arrived. Looks like I need to tap two holes in my float for the 2 screws that were provide with the adapter. will that be secure enough, or should I get longer screws so I can install a washer and nut on the inside of the float?

Drill/tap should be fine.IF it does eventually strip, get longer screws and do the washer+nut method. :D

ArmaLite free floating handguard is already drilled and tapped for multiple locations. Kinda nice for a bipod and sling if that's your configuration.

Nice float. Mine is Home built(bought one piece at a time). Nothing I do is ever easy or simple. :argue:  (with myself)

Drill/tap should be fine.IF it does eventually strip, get longer screws and do the washer+nut method. :D

Thanks. Just curious as to the type of installation from others. Of course It would have been better to have this thought at the beginning of the build, NOT THE END.  I should be  :banned: from future rifle projects.

Most of what we showed you comes pre-tapped for the rails. I have a plain FF tube similar to yours on my beater AR so I know what you were trying to do. :)

My barrel is free floating and is knurled with a diamond pattern. I do not know why it did not come pre-drilled. This is just another bump in the road.