• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magwa speaks!!

sketch

What we should learn from the real deal!

How do I ?!

What should I ?!

I feel he has a page worthy of insight and down to earth knowledge!

This has been brought up before but I'm still waiting for the master out doorsman to open up!? The true hunt or fish the right way to keep a fishing spot hot! Where too find the right plants of life while in the deep woods!

I believe Magwa ( mike) has more to life for all and it is a simple but right way we can adapt to or just make one thing work better for our own personal space!! I'm calling out Magwa for his stickey post. He is ( once or twice voted) bush master!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about master at anything for me but I am more than happy to share any woods savy I have... at 63 I have accumulated a lot of experience in the woods so if their is anything that I may know something about ask away , It is the same reason I came here to find out all the stuff I did not know ab out the aR Platform and it has been a huge help to me  or if you want just name a topic and i will post what I know here about it ... Hope I can be of use..

The finest grain smoothest flat rock you can find , in different parts of the country the rocks are all different but a river will have rocks it has worn down through time... but it must be fine grain not to rough, also you might be able to get back your edge by useing your leather belt as a strapand strap it like a straight razor. I carry a ceramic stick for touching up my knife but I have used river rocks many times....

Snares are the bomb ..you can catch anything in a snare and they can be made from a ton of stuff used fencing, cordage, paracord etc my favorites are wire snares fine wire for small critters and cable for big ones , I also use diverters which are a big peice of copper wire that will divert the snare for the path of say a elk or moose when you are targeting wolves or coyotes.... also if you are snaring small game you want a breakaway link in your snare so large animals that might get in to your snare can break the cable. a simple piece of 1/8th to 1/4 steel shaped in a L with holes in each end will work as a lock for cable snares . A small bent over tree I mean small will set the snare on a rabbit or squirrel enough to dispatch them .... snares can catch anything.....

I am up for this but only if you guys discuss the topic I am pretty lax on taking pictures and stuff but we can get it done so you guys let me know what you would like to talk about for say a week and we can do it ,I took the Idaho wolf trappinmg class last yuear and I have not bought alot of supplies saving for a snow sled so I can go trapping well the snow sled will be here this next weekend and i have enough stuff around here tpo throw some stuff together for pics.. so let me know what you want to discuss and if i know anything about it i will be more than happy to share what little I know with you...

The snare breakaway feature is just really a swaging tool where you join two pieces of wire together and the strength factor is by how strong the swage is done I have not made them this way yet as i would have to by the tool but they are required by law here.

On fire now that is something I am pretty good at no bic lighters required, the meathods I have had success with are flint and steel (easy), bow drill not hard once you understand the process, hand drill hard , hard ,hard but once you get the hang of it it too is not to bad but expect blisters. FIRE PISTON!!!!!!!! everyone should have one in each and every pack they own you can make them for a few bucks from modern materials. and all the mag bars and those types are pretty fool proof but i set the challenge to each and every one of you go to the woods and make a fire from materials you can gather.. it can be humbling but it also can be the difference between life and death.... I can show pictures of all these meathods if you guys want me too...

The snare breakaway feature is just really a swaging tool where you join two pieces of wire together and the strength factor is by how strong the swage is done I have not made them this way yet as i would have to by the tool but they are required by law here.

On fire now that is something I am pretty good at no bic lighters required, the meathods I have had success with are flint and steel (easy), bow drill not hard once you understand the process, hand drill hard , hard ,hard but once you get the hang of it it too is not to bad but expect blisters. FIRE PISTON!!!!!!!! everyone should have one in each and every pack they own you can make them for a few bucks from modern materials. and all the mag bars and those types are pretty fool proof but i set the challenge to each and every one of you go to the woods and make a fire from materials you can gather.. it can be humbling but it also can be the difference between life and death.... I can show pictures of all these meathods if you guys want me too...

I challenged myself to make fire, and you are right it is hard. It is also very rewarding and worth trying. I used the bow drill method and it took me close to 6 hrs and a lot of sweat. The second time took about 30 minutes. It's something you have to do, you can't just read about it.

I'd like to try the hand drill method soon, and I'm going to notch the top of the drill and hang some paracord off of it to make thumb loops. If you use it this way you can spin the drill without running your hands up and down it and get blisters (supposedly).

I remember the steel wool and battery trick from boyscouts. Steel wool is easy to keep around and all you need is a flashlight battery.  But with nothing on your person, Ive seen the hand made magnifying glass from a piece of ice melted between the palms of your hands to create the right convex shape but Ive never tried it. And that wouldnt exactly work in a warm climate.

Ok folks here are fire making devices from primitive to stone age..... now it is up to you guys to ask questions and if you want to see something up close just ask and i will put a pic of it in this thread and also discuss how to use these different ways.....

From left to right

1.bow drill, fire boards,  palm rock, spindle,

2. tinders. chaga tinder fungus, ceadar bark,wood shavings, also rawhide piece for catching ember under fire boards.

3.hand drills and fireboards.

4. fire pistons ,flint and steel,hudson bay fire glass, and various steels.

DSC03439DesktopResolution_zps9d1ad4e4.jp

Edited by Magwa

I am 100% spot and stalk or walk up I do glass alot more now as i get older because i move slower lol but say Elk for instance they occupy 10% of any given area so if you had 100 sqaure miles there would only be Elk in 10 of the miles... So if you are sitting in a blind or a tree in any other part of that area you loose.

I am old school when it comes to hunting my first 25 elk were all packed out in pieces on my back and the backs of my friends, I hunted miles from the road why? because that was where the elk were...

So to answer your question I like spot and stalk or just being on the move looking as stealthy as i can if i get into a lot of sign I slow down because the animals are there I just have to see them before they see me...

I consider myself a sniper moving around looking for places the elk or deer are using I will set up on a spot like that for a small amount of time then move on to the next such sight all the while watching the wind, they may hear you and not spook but if they smell or see you the gig is up.

Edited by Magwa