• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best sub $500 bolt action 308

bluzjamer

Remington 700.  Period.  Especially since you made this comment:

Be nice if some aftermarket stocks found their way to it.

Nothing else out there has the aftermarket support for it like the Rem 700 does.

Here's a new Rem 700 WITH a scope, $450.00.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-ADL-Scope-Rifle-Combo/1368627.uts

Wow lots of Ideas, on the Savage Axis isn't that the one without the acuetrigger. Like the fact that the ruger has a nice adjustable trigger. Lots of support for the Rem 700. I had one years ago that I bought used. Sold it to pay for divorce lawyer fees. I never bought another due to all the bad press the 700 received on accidental discharges due to an inexpensive replacement part that Remington refused to change. Some of them fired when the safety was engaged without a pull of the trigger. I lost my faith in that rifle. I know there are tons that work perfectly, it just is always in the back of my head. I have a Mossberg 4x4 marine coat with laminated stock in 30-06. I'm not a wuss but this seems to have a bunch of recoil. Was hard to sight in due to the recoil, was just unpleasant to shoot, maybe a recoil dampener of some sort is in order. I have shot 300 win mag and 12 ga slugs out of my TCR single shot without problem.

I don't think the new Remington's are anywhere close in quality to the old 70's Remington 700's.

I have a Ruger 77xl with SS bull barrel and heavy Lam stock with bipod, it is a tack driver. The bolt feels like it is on ball bearings and the trigger is awesome. It is very heavy and more of a bench gun than tactical. I found a nice Savage mod 10 that has been tacticalized . Bull barrel, accuetrigger, tac skeleton stock, bipod and scope. LGS and I are $50 apart. He is asking $750 out the door, it is used but in very nice shape wouldn't have to change a thing.

Tikka, Savage 10, Remington 700s are good to go.  It is essentially a Chevy vs Ford discussion.  Each one has benefits over the other.  Although I have never had an issue with my Remington 700 triggers, I know that some people still reference the issues that were claimed.  If that is the only thing holding you back from a 700, then a $125 bucks for a Timney 510 will be money well spent.  

I reference the above three brands because you stated that you wanted to build a tactical rifle, which to me means Long Range and perhaps later on Extreme Long Range.  If that is correct, then you should consider purchasing a platform that can be upgraded.  As many will testify, purchasing a factory OTS rifle is hit or miss with accuracy and some components will be special attention.  Things you may take for granted now such as Detachable Bottom Metal, Manners/McMillian Stock, triggers, may not be a big deal now, but may become one as you attempt to squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of your factory setup.  

Edited by StainTrain

He said it was cheaper to buy a donor rifle than to buy to parts to complete a rifle.

I have heard that one many times and I believe it.

I vote 700. Wish I had gone that route. I bought a US PALM assembled FN SPR in a McMillan stock for $650. Tossed a brake and a scope on her and have about 1600 in her now. Have to send it off for bottom metal and would love to do something with the trigger...but options are limited for both with the FN. The 700 would have a whole book of options. Hell, I think Roger from BAD can set you up with a sweet bottom metal for it at a great price.

Edited by DNP

The reason the Remy's were getting bad press was due to tinkering with trigger pull weight and overtravel settings on the triggers  by people who thought they knew what they were doing. I will reccomend either a Savage or a Remington. The reason you dont see as many aftermarket parts such as stocks for Savage is because they keep changing the specs on the receiver where the screws secure it to the stock. A company called Stocky Stocks has some for them and I believe Manners may. The Savage is accurate and reliable, I have a 14 1/2 LOP so I needed the ability to have an adjustible length of pull. So I went Remington on both of my builds, one in a McMiilian and the other in a AICS with a trigger job by a trusted and certifed gun smith. As far as cheap and tactical, thats like saying cheap and accurate or cheal and relaibe, you can only really have one choice.