• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bodyguard revolver grip upgrade

unforgiven

I'm almost afraid to post n opinion..

Respectfully

Terry

No reason for that brother Terry

Once again not much of a grip.Especially for a hotter round.

OK> Here goes.

About 4 years ago, I bought a Kimber ultra carry II.   3 1/2" bbl, short grip.   For X-mas, my wife bought me a set of Chrismon Trace lazer grips.

As Part of my getting to know the weapon, I ran the falling plates 10 times.  5 each with the lazer and 5 without.  With a competion timer, I was consitantly 3/4 of a second SLOWER with the lazer.I ran the test once a week for 4 weeks.  Nothing changed.  My times were always bettet without the lazer.

My wife also tried it, but not as many times as I did.  She didn't like the muzzle flip.   She does like her Kimber solo, however!  Tried a lazer on the solo, her times were consistantly slower with the lazer.   Sold both on E-Bay.

3/4 of a second could get me killed.

My opinion?   Learn your weapon, and the lazer is just a toy.

Respectfully

Terry

Interesting about the laser times diminishing.

IMO/E, most laser lore is mythology.  People don't see laserbeams slicing through the air and landing on their chest.  They don't make people more accurate.  In low light or darkness lasers don't illuminate your target for positive identification.

While they are a good tool for people to learn trigger control and sight alignment, it only works if it is aligned with the sights when they are aligned.  Most from the factory are WAY off.

damn, that stuff must be like unobtanium for that price. still sweet as hell though.

S&W does a roving tour with their current production lineup for retailers who are interested.  The local Sportsman's Warehouse usually signs up, and uses the range in Marana for the shoot.

El Señor .357 Magnum picked up that 340PD and loaded 5 rounds of some HOT .357 Magnum loads in it.  First round…BLAM!!

Open the revolver, take out the other 4 rounds, put in some .38 Special.  From what he said, that .460 Magnum is a treat compared to the 340PD.

I originally got the revolver for the wife she was having trouble racking the slide on XDM and it was light/small.She didn't like it because it stung her hand.I haven't used the laser while shooting.Doesn't work in bright sunlight.Haven't had a chance to see if beam runs parallel to the barrel.Which IMO is the only way to have a laser setup so that distance is not a factor.The only use I can see is in darkness.The laser had nothing to do with the purchase.It was weight,size.With the 2" barrel it's work to be accurate past 10yrds.This grip should improve my performance.All replies are always welcomed.Rene

• 2 weeks later...

Only gun to ever hurt me... I've shot .454 Casull, .500 Magnum, 45-70... none of them hurt more than the Ti .357 magnum. After 3 cylinders (15 rnds) the webbing in my hand was bruised. It's an accurate little SOB.

My brotherinlaw bought it, and now only loads .38 wad cutters. Lol

I have a ruger stainless security six in 357.  I took off the wood grips and put a rubber hogue grip on it as well.  With the wood grips it would kill your hand on a cold day.  It would make a good day of shooting go bad really fast to say the least.  Got to the point that I was thinking about selling it until I put the rubber on it now its much more pleasant to shoot.

I own a 2" Chiappa Rhino.

Dimensionally, it's not much larger than a j frame but is heavier at 24oz.

Unbelievable to shoot. Very minor recoil even with hot 357s.

And it's a six shot instead of five but the hexagonal cylinder makes it no thicker than a j frame. That's a 20% increase in firepower over the j frame.

Edited by Microgunner