• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

another newb build

TheBearCub

Hello all. I'm new to the AR/DPMS scene and I think I'm ready to start a build. I'm familiar with guns, but not necessarily different brands and what they have to offer, or barrels coated with this, or that material and what not. I've got a budget of $2500. I'll be using the rifle for hunting, and plenty of target practice. I'm active duty, and can easily shoot expert, but I'm not sure about reaching out and touching someone at 800+ yards, although I've never tried! So a long distance sniper rifle won't exactly be my cup of tea.. I'd be ok with a non-adjustable stock, I need rails for sure, and will probably go with a 16" barrel. All help is appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome. I just assisted a member build nearly this exact rifle. You should get lots of help here.

My $0.02 is, a Mega Arms or SI Defense receiver set and hold out for the Fulton Armory 16" rifle length barrel. As long as you stick to those, everything else is just preferences.

Good luck

Thanks for the fast replies. I did a little digging, and found the SI Defense upper/lower was cheaper, although it didn’t have the ambidextrous selectors. Im not left handed, but still Id like to have that option but it’d cost me $75 that could be spent on a scope, or the barrel. Speaking of which, I read great reviews on both companies, so thank you for that. I couldn’t find the magpul car stock, but i did find the prs model. Same thing or no? Reviews on the try battlerail came back less than impressive.. so the apex will be a likely contender. 

Bear  go here       http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21534-magpul-ar15-acs-adaptable-carbine-storage-stock-mil-spec-black.aspx

they have a lot to choose from and they have good pricing.....be sure and get a milspec buffer tube if you get the milspec stock

the prs is a boat anchor and expensive....keep your build light....or you will end up with a heavy 308....which aint no fun  :)  Wash

Edited by washguy

The Mega costs slightly more due to their ambi feature... but I don't see the value of it. For about $40 you can buy a Phase5 extended bolt catch for the SI-D and actually get more performance.

If you like fixed stocks and you don't want to break the bank or buy a boat anchor, check out the Magpul MOE fixed A2 stock and the Rock River Arms (RRA) A2 Operator stock. Vltor also makes a fixed stock, but I believe it's a bit pricier.

xmag404blk.jpg

A2Operator.jpg

ARM_001.jpg

Edited by Robocop1051

For what it's worth (yes, yes....I'm labeled as the Armalite pusher).....Armalite is running a damn good sale (you can't buy the parts individually for what they're asking) on their complete uppers right now. You can get into one for just under 600. Then, get yourself a lower (between 300 and 400 already built)......and you can customize from there. Leaves you plenty of room.

Just throwin it out there.

Yep. But I think they're the (my beloved....traditional) B pattern uppers that they're blowin out right now. Not the "pmag friendly" A pattern. The "A4" designation is the upper receiver design.....AKA flat-top. I'd have to check with Pat (mraley) to confirm or deny the compatibility. Don't have any "A" pattern's myself.

Either way. A $1000 10A / 10B is a great platform to start with. Like I said earlier. Lots of room to work with.

And pay no attention to those RRA guys. They're bound to come out of the woodwork here soon.

Edited by Rsquared

Rsquared has a point... and I'm not talking about the one on the top of his head this time... you could easily get yourself into a basic AR10a right now and be right around $1k. That would leave a LOT of upgrading room for the remainder of your budget.

Then there's the DPMS GenII, get a basic and work from there. I'd like to see some more reviews on the Gen II, but it's lookin' pretty good right now. Almost making me wish I'd waited for it instead of getting the LR308T. The weight savings themselves are phenomemal even though the extractor/ejector setup seems a bit geeky.

Just confirmation - The traditional B pattern upper, that uses the Armalite mags is definitely different than the newer A pattern.  The A pattern has different reliefs in it for the Pmags to slide up into, when the Pmag is locked into the lower.

The two different uppers are not mix-n-match onto the B lower, or the A lower.  You have to have a B upper on a B lower, and the A upper only goes with the A lower.

So even if I go with the SI defense upper/lower and then purchase the trigger and bolt carrier group, it would still be cheaper to go the Armalite route? I always hear debate about PMAGs and whatnot, but never understood it because I’ve never really dealt with them before. Ill do some Googling. That RRA Operator stock is looking pretty tits, though! Might go with that. 

Just for right now. Because Armalite is running their St Patricks day sale. Prices will go back up after that. Nothing wrong with Pmags.......nothing wrong with the Armalite proprietary steel mags (I've got a pile of both of them). Just different....that's all.

This was just a way to get you into a functional rifle (nice one at that) for around $1000.

Well, I appreciate the input, but after some quick reading I think Ill go with a PMAG style lower. I think I kind of underestimated the amount of parts that will go into this.. haha. I thought the receiver came with the bolt, and trigger assembly! Hopefully Ill be ready to start ordering some things by next week or so if I get it figured out. If the 16” barrel costs the same as a 20” barrel, why not go with that? Im looking at the Rainier Match Series barrels. They seem like a good quality vs price. Ill definitely go with the RRA Operator stock.