Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need some AR15 troubleshooting help


Recommended Posts

Sometimes when customers return things to Shadow Ops, I get to keep them, free. Among the stuff lately has been a black nitride BCG. Its issue reported was failure to eject. I played with it, and the extractor is really really stiff, virtually impossible to make move at all with a finger. in a upper with no lower attached, an empty shell would get picked up by the extractor, but never released

so ideas? do I try to replace the springs / rubber piece? or is it more likely something else? replace the entire extractor?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bet money ;the tolarances of the coating are interfearing.

(is too thick)

I would replace the extractor with a stock type part and put new stock ejector and spring in it.

Plain Jane DPMS parts, used would be better because it would be a known fact that it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy, PM me your address. I have at least 100 of those springs and rubber pieces.

Nitride doesn't add mass to metal. It's a treatment, similar to stainless. If you want to, give the edges of the extractor a rub down with some light sanding or steel wool. Not enough to remove material, but just enough to take off any tight edges.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rob , you're thinking the same as me. But I didn't want to suggest using sandpaper or emery cloth and a file.

He won't learn the intricacies until he gets intimate with it. If he breaks it, no big deal, he was planning on getting another one anyways.

Edited by Robocop1051
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah, with it being free in the first place, if I end up having to spend the $15 for a new extractor, its not a big deal. I think I have some emory cloth out in the garage, that would probably work decently. except...with the pin out, there doesn't seem to be any binding anywhere when I push it down. even with a slightly smaller diameter pin punch pushed in, its still hard to budge the extractor, unlike on the other BCGs I've handled. Could the spring be too strong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a rubber o-ring around the spring, removing it feels no different. I don't think there are any d rings in that area, I have it all apart and didn't see one. What I did notice though is that the spring almost doesn't compress at all, with or without the o-ring, even out of the carrier...


Link to comment
Share on other sites

You said you used a smaller pin , did you try to manipulate the extractor in the bolt body with out a spring & o-ring ? That would tell you if it was a fitment problem with the extractor in the bolt or the spring set up .

it was loose and moved fine without the spring. Seems to be in working order now, but I still need to make it to the range. Daylight savings time hurt me yesterday :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...