• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hammer broke in two! pictures

tayronachan

Stock two stage trigger from DPMS. Came out of a LR-308. This is the second trigger in this rifle from DPMS that failed. I'll be sending this back for a new trigger.

I'm thinking of buying a backup trigger, and I want to keep the price around $100.00. I'm thinking of the following from Midwayusa Del-Ton Two Stage Combat Trigger Assembly AR-15, AR-10, LR-308 Small Pin .154" Matte . Any other suggestions?

But, I would like you guys to take a look at the two faces of the broken parts and tell me what you see. Thanks in advance.

post-10964-0-06181700-1394757875_thumb.j

post-10964-0-89680400-1394757895_thumb.j

Edited by tayronachan

I'm thinking of buying a backup trigger, and I want to keep the price around $100.00. I'm thinking of the following from Midwayusa Del-Ton Two Stage Combat Trigger Assembly AR-15, AR-10, LR-308 Small Pin .154" Matte . Any other suggestions?

Yeah, one more suggestion.  Spend twice that $100.00 you planned, and get a Geissele SSA.  It won't break.

As the saying goes, "Buy once, Cry once..."

That's the SECOND DPMS two-stage that's failed on you?...

The ALG ACT is a very, very worthy trigger - but it's not a 2-stage.  If the OP is set on a two stage, there's the Geissele route he can take, or just get the Armalite 2-stage national Match trigger...  It's definitely worth the money, and won't bust up on him.

My info on the Geissele triggers is all over this site.  Here's me review on the Armalite 2-stage National Match:

Metal fatigue? The steel was probably not annealed correctly and thus brittle.

It looked to me like it was already cracked when I got it. Why else would it have a bright and shinny surface on one side that looks like a fresh break, and what looks like a coated/dull surface on the other?

There were no more than 30 rds on this trigger.

These are reloads; 42gr, 4895 IMR, 150gr FMJ-BT Hornady, 1 MOA. Don't think that's hot, no over pressure signs. Comments?

It broke on a dry fire.

Trigger before this one was two stage, came with the gun, and when new had a nice clean break. The break disappeared completely.

Was looking at, or "feeling", a single stage trigger at a local shop today, might go with that.

DPMS probably doesn't make there Fire Control Groups. There are a lot of trigger systems out there ,but if your rifle can be repaired by DPMS under warranty , at no cost to you , I would send it back with a detailed letter how you are not pleased with two FCG 's that broke , with such a low round count . 

You can always get another trigger system for a spare ,but they should repair it  & there are a lot of DPMS rifles out there working just fine with there FCG's in them .There also can be a problem with a production run of there supplied FCG's. 

If it broke off completely when dry firing , I can't see the problem being any thing but the FCG or it just picked that time to let go . There also could be a problem with interference some where in the FCG that is putting excessive pressure on the Hammer during cycling when fired ( like the Hammer hitting the Disconnector ). Also a good reason to send it back to them .

but if your rifle can be repaired by DPMS under warranty , at no cost to you

DPMS didn't blink and eye when I asked them to replace the first FCG. They were real good about it. They told me to send in just the FCG. I'm sure they'll replace this one too.

That hammer looks like it was already fractured when I got it.